Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Low Carb (Keto) Strawberry Pound Cake

The other day while everyone was panic buying shopping I found a quart of beautiful strawberries. I like strawberries and keto likes me to have a few strawberries so everyone is happy. Except the keto police only like me to eat four or five strawberries a day and that quart had a lot more than those few. Next I had to decide what to do with the surplus, since they tend to get too soft after a couple of days, and my freezer contains a full bag of frozen excess from past purchases.

While browsing keto recipes I found one that I thought might be worth trying, so I made it because I can't go anywhere so I might as well cook. I know I could also clean, but, cleaning is cleaning, and that is my least favorite thing to do. And yes I know I have to clean the kitchen after I cook, but somehow it still counts (at least in my brain) as part of the cooking process and is therefore immune to my disdain for housework.

Strawberry Pound Cake

4  tablespoons butter, softened
1/2  cup Swerve
4  eggs
1  teaspoon vanilla
1/4  cup sour cream
1 1/4  cup almond flour
1/4  cup coconut flour
1/4  cup  golden flax meal
1  tsp baking powder
1/4  tsp salt
1/2  cup chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350. Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of a loaf pan. Grease the paper and the sides of the pan with butter. (be generous)
With a mixer cream the butter and sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each one.
In a small bowl mix  the flours, meal, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined. Fold in the strawberries. Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly.
Bake at 350 for 45-60 min until golden, firm to the touch. Take it out of the oven and let it cool in the pan. Do not do what I did and try to remove it while it is warm. Keto baking firms as it cools. In the picture you will notice the gigantic crack that resulted from my impatience.

Once it is cool remove it from the pan (this is where the parchment paper lining pays off in spades)  and slice.
Since I realized there was going to be a ton left over I put all the slices except the two we were eating on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the freezer until they were frozen. Then I put them in a zip lock bag. The next time we have them I will just put them out on a plate until they are thawed.

This was really good and better than I expected. If it had not been lazy I would have whipped some cream which would have been exceptionally good. Next time I will. I still have 8 slices in the freezer!

This was good, it's keto and I could have my cake  and eat it without the guilt!

17 comments:

  1. OMGosh. That looks exceptional, Anne. I don't bake a lot (just my keto bread), so I don't have a supply of flax seed, like my sister who loves to bake. When I next go out for supplies, I may just have to pick some up. In the meantime, I will share this recipe with my sister. Did you use fresh or frozen berries for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I think you could just add a little more almond flour to equal the flax meal. I used fresh because I had them, but frozen would also work.

      Delete
  2. I had two overripe bananas and looked up online to see what I could do with them. Found a very simple banana bread recipe which did not even require use of a mixer. I made it and it turned out really yummy. We canot let anything go to waste especially now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks GOOD. And isn't deliciousness without guilt a wonderful, wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you found a keto friendly recipe for cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I consider cleaning the kitchen cleaning, so I don't like to do it. However, I don't consider laundry cleaning, so I don't mind that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind doing laundry, but cleaning the laundry room is another story!

      Delete
  6. I am so frustrated right now. I am not supposed to have those flours! White is okay. It sounds so delicious and good for a body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm teleworking tomorrow so will pop some baking in oven. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. Sweet but not too sweet. I do think it would have been better with a dollop of whipped cream though.

      Delete
  8. Cleaning is overrated. Baking is not. Bake on! (Good recipe, BTW.)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.