Translate

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

When life gives you strawberries

I received a boatload of strawberries from friends when Mom died. All of the local U-pick farms were offering strawberry picking at a time when the state was under a stay at home/ safe social distancing order and everyone who was looking for something to do with their kids went berry picking. Since I was the beneficiary of their kindness and largess I thought I might make something delicious to give back to them for the fruits of their labor.
I am one of those people who bake when stressed. I think it is because when I bake I am on auto pilot. I really don't have to think about anything, and just move through the motions of cooking with no thought of anything else.
Since I had a strawberry cake mix (lake house food salvage) I decided I would use it as the base for the cake but I wanted to incorporate the real berries in the mix.  Since I was going to share these with the 2 families who brought me the berries, cupcakes seemed to be an easier way to split them.

1 box strawberry cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter (takes about 1 cup solid butter)
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups strawberries, pureed then reduced to 1/2 cup
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
3 or 4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Puree the strawberries in a blender, then cook on a slow heat to reduce to 1/2 cup. Take out a tablespoon of the puree to use in the icing and add the rest to the mix. Next add the buttermilk and butter and mix until it is slightly blended than add the eggs one at a time until everything is blended and the batter is smooth.. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and scoop the batter filling just past halfway full. Bake until done (23 minutes in my oven), cool and then frost.

I made a traditional buttercream icing but I added the remaining pureed strawberries and 1/4 teaspoon strawberry extract to it.  I did not taste them since I made them as a thank you treat, but  the aroma was sublime. Both  families said they were delicious.

If you go berry picking and want something easy to make with a few of them, give this a try. I don't think you will be disappointed,



21 comments:

  1. That sounds like a truly wonderful thank you gift. And a productive use of your time. When stressed I am not nearly so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking is not really creative for me, but it is something I do almost automatically

      Delete
    2. You might be able to do it on auto pilot but I am quite certain that the recipients DO see it as creative.

      Delete
  2. I am sure they appreciate the cupcakes. Did you use any of the strawberries for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after Mom's service we picked up lunch and then had strawberry shortcake for dessert

      Delete
  3. Oh my, those sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that baking the cupcakes helped relieve your stress for a little while. I'm sure the recipients were very happy to get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids always knew if they came home form school and the house smelled like something baking I had a stress filled day.

      Delete
  5. I am sure the recipients were very happy with their cupcakes! They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. †hey were happy to get them and I was happy to give them,

      Delete
  6. These cupcakes sound amazing! I'll definitely give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our strawberries aren't really coming through just yet but I will give this recipe a try (would have loved a photo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I should have taken one. Instead I just boxed them up and sent them to my neighbors

      Delete
  8. We're loving strawberry season! Spring and summer are definitely my favorite times of the year when it comes to all the wonderful berries and stone fruits we get. Strawberry cake sounds like a wonderful idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been pretty tasty. The feedback was all positive.
      I made your Cucumber, tomato, bean salad for lunch at the lake. It was delicious and we as tomato season gets better and better, it is going to become one of our go to meals. It should be delicious one night when we are eating on the deck!

      Delete
  9. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.comWhatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.