Translate

Monday, January 18, 2021

Another Imperfect Plan



As usual we had some dinners I had planned, but life and what really sounded good on any particular night got in the way. Instead we ate different meals. Additionally who, in their right mind, is going to say "No, I have a meal planned already"when their son and dil offer to make dinner?

What was planned:
1 Smoked chicken wings, baked beans, coleslaw
2 Chili, cornbread, crudité
3 Mac and cheese, peas and coleslaw
4 Grilled fish, green beans, baked potatoes, rolls
5. Take out
6 Steak, baked potato, salad
7 Soup and sandwich 

What we really ate:
Monday: Ball game night. Roll Tide, Roll!
Chili, corn chips, crudite
Tuesday: No idea what was going on but whatever it was, it kept me from cooking until the last minute. Trader Joe's frozen meal to the rescue!
Chicken Fried Rice, tossed salad
Wednesday: The day was cold and I stayed in most of the day, but Son3 volunteered to do the grilling. Win!
Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, broccoli, rolls
Thursday: TheHub was in the mood for Thai, so that makes for a pretty easy dinner. All I have to do is call Blue Pacific and order.
Pad Thai, Pad Si We, or the Thursday special, spring rolls
Friday: DIL3 had never eaten Cajun food and Son3 wanted her to have it. He mentioned it too late in the day for me to make it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it) Instead we ordered take out for a Cajun restaurant near TheHub's office.
Alligator bites, blackened grouper, gumbo, crawfish étouffée, cajun slaw
Saturday:  DIL3 and Son3 offered to make  dinner. We had a traditional Swiss meal
Flamm kuchen (2, each with different toppings) spring greens with dressing
Sunday: We had a little surprise birthday party to celebrate DIL3's birthday. The actual date is Tuesday but they will be traveling then, so we fast forwarded. Son2 and DIL2 came over to help celebrate. (yes masks were worn)
Steak, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, tossed salad, rolls, red velvet cake

And going on to this week's plan:*
1. Firecracker Chicken, rice or caulirice, broccoli
2. Stuffed bell peppers, coleslaw, green beans
3. Pasta Carbonara, tossed salad
4. Chicken chowder,  tossed salad, rolls
5. Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
6. Take out
7. pork chops, collards, cornbread

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


*Keto begins on Wednesday after Son 3and DIL3 leave. It is not so much a choice as a necessity. This meme stolen from Facebook says it all.

Image may contain: text that says 'My going out clothes have missed me so much. I put fOLDTIMERS them on yesterday and they hugged me so tightly I couldn't move!'


31 comments:

  1. What you really ate all sounds fantastic! Have you ever tried Pad Woon Sen at the Thai place? Pad Thai was always my favorite until I tried the Woon Sen, it is SO good. It's made with glass noodles so it's fun too lol. Your menu for this week sounds great. I can't wait to try the Firecracker chicken, glad you are planning to make it too. I won't be making it until Thursday. Let me know how it is if you try it before that. Enjoy the last few days with your son and DIL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sustenance and tasted pretty good, especially the Swiss meal.
      I have enjoyed having houseguests very much!

      Delete
  2. Good luck.
    And yes, despite not being able to eat at the height of my illness, my clothes are hugging me tighter than I would like.
    Enjoy these last (for the moment) family days to the max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they leave I will be sad because they have been such wonderful company during this time of isolation, but they are ready to get back to their life (even though they both claim to like it here because there is so much more space and I have a yard and neighborhood they can walk in without having to worry about Covid

      Delete
  3. So that is why my clothes are hugging me so. I thought they just liked me and missed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "outfits" now consist of sweat pants, jeggings, sweatshirts and sloppy sweaters. I am one goooooood lookin' mama. I have to renew my license which means I will need to out on make-up. I am not certain I remember how.

      Delete
    2. Mine makeup is so old it may not be any good. And, where is it?

      Delete
  4. I'm laughing at the clothes hugging you too tightly! A friend of mine from Germany was telling me about flammkuchen - how nice that your DIL3 made some for you! Enjoy these last couple of days of their visit and happy birthday to DIL3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her meal was delicious, and now my clothes are hugging me even tighter!

      Delete
  5. Someone cooked for me today. His name is Five Star Pizza. He even brought the food to my door.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time and any way someone else does the cooking makes life grand!

      Delete
  6. I so need to go back on an Atkins diet, but that chocolate cake is not gone yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep we still have some lingering delicious things. I am going to do the horrible thing and just throw them out!

      Delete
  7. My son does Keto but he loses weight then gains it back the goes back on Keto and same circle. It worries me. I have lost 26 pounds just walking every day and counting calories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to brag...I made risotto the other night for the first time. I've never made it because the cooking shows made it sound so difficult, it wasn't. Your blog inspires me to broaden my horizon though I'll probably skip the alligator bites. I assume they taste like chicken?

    Safe travels to your son and DIL. Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alligator had the mouth feel of a very dense white fish and yes it tastes somewhat like chicken. We only got it because our DIL had never had it before. I don't have to have it again, but I said that the other time I ate it.
      Risotto just requires a lot of stirring. Other than that it is pretty easy to make.

      Delete
  9. You had me at "alligator bites" - what the heck are those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like chicken nuggets but made with alligator. They are OK but not my favorite.

      Delete
  10. I can’t bring myself to eat an alligator to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any week that involves alligator bites is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste fine to me, but I think they are pricy morsels for something just fried.

      Delete
  12. Now that you mention it, I haven't had Thai for quite awhile. One of the foods I always order from restaurants. :-) You had some good grub this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a small Thai joint (in every sense of the term joint) here that serves outstanding Thai. They have curbside pickup so it makes it Covid doable.

      Delete
  13. I had a big old belly laugh at the nice clothes giving you a hug. I can attest to that emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both your planned meals and your real meals sound good to me. Corn chips or cornbread? Either one sounds fine.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn chips turned out to be the easiest so that was the route I took.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.