Translate

Monday, January 4, 2021

Planning and Changing Plans

This was the plan for the week, and like all plans I make, it was a tentative plan:
Taco salad
 Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
 Heavy appetizers, veggies and dip
 NYD meal: Ham, black eyed peas, collards, cornbread 
 Chicken pot pie, coleslaw
 Pizza, tossed salad
 Smoked sausage, potatoes and kraut

And this is what really happened:
 Monday: I was exceptionally tired probably because I did not go to sleep until 4 and woke at 6:30. I did not feel like doing much in the way of cooking but had some ground beef in the fridge.It was a no brainer type of night
Taco salad (and an aside) My knee was hurting badly Monday night and in the process of cleaning out the medicine cabinet I found an almost full prescription of lightweight pain meds. I thought about popping one of those and then going to bed. Instead I remembered we had egg nog in the fridge, brandy in the bar, and Swedish gingersnaps. A much tastier solution, I had dessert, slept like a baby, and did not have the horrendous dreams Lortab gives me. Egg nog (or brandy) for the win.

Tuesday: Son3 and DIL3 went out to find some salmon . We have a smoker and Son3 could not wait to smoke stuff. While they were out they called to see if I needed anything. I had just taken chicken out of the freezer and realized I had no mixed veggies. They came back with a Costco size bag of them. I have plenty now!
 Chicken pot pie, coleslaw

Wednesday: I love it when I find I am in no way shape or form responsible for a meal.
Smoked salmon with dill sauce, mashed potatoes, tossed salad

Thursday: We did nothing extraordinary Thursday and normally TheHub and I go out for an early NYE dinner. That was off the table so we drove to a nearby restaurant offering easy curb service for take out food.
Assorted Mexican fare, decadent champagne truffles (DIL3 made them) Plus late night champagne.

Friday: New Years Day was filled with family and ball games., We noshed on heavy apps for lunch and watched Bama play ball. Roll Tide, they won which made it more fun. (Though win, lose ,or draw we are still Alabama fans) Son2 and DIL2 came over to watch with us. After the game we ate our traditional NYD meal, played Mind The Gap, then watched the second half of the Ohio State/Clemson game. 
Ham, black eyed peas, collards, cornbread, truffles

Saturday:TheHub and I ran a few errands early in the morning, then came home to watch even more ballgames. I honestly do not even remember who was playing but we watched (or pretended to be watching white reading, or made a really cool guitar case. DIL3 agrees with me that Mom's sewing machine is some sort of dream machine.) Midway through games, sewing, and/or reading Son3 and DIL3 came over for a visit, Even though I made enough they let right before dinner time. Leftovers for lunch!
 Spaghetti with meat sauce, crescent rolls, tossed salad

Sunday: We had a lot of leftover salmon and I had bought a 10 pound bag potatoes right before Christmas, so dinner virtually planned itself.
Smoked salmon, potato soup


And this is what might happen this week:
1. Stuffed baked potatoes with various veggie toppings, coleslaw
2. DIL3 plans to make a Swedish meal
3. Steak, baked potato. salad
4. Roast chicken, dressing, green beans, tossed salad
5. Sloppy Joe's, coleslaw
6. Coconut Soup
7. Take Out

Have a good week staying on plan, veering off plan or with no plan at all!


25 comments:

  1. It all sounds great planned or not! Have a great first week of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the first week has been uneventful. In light of last year, I hope uneventful continues!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a truly wonderful week - though I really, really hope your knee has settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weather reactive joint. Arthritis is a lovely companion but I am not griping. Somedays just hurt a little more than others.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you. Brandy and eggnog sounds a much better sleeping aid than a pill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! So much better I might drink some "aid" tonight also!

      Delete
  4. Heh. "Son could not wait to smoke stuff." I think I'm spending too much time with teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoker smoking is the only "smoke" talk we have. He is an adult so I don't have to worry about anything like that anymore.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it all worked out just fine! I've given up on meal planning while daughter is home! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only kind of planning or maybe I am just playing at planning because I know I can/will change plans at the drop of a hat!

      Delete
  6. My husband is into smoking here , also, but I don't think he's smoked salmon before. I'm not a big salmon fan, so maybe that will be the way I like it. I'll ask him to put it on his list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge salmon fan either, but the smoked salmon is delicious

      Delete
  7. Smoked salmon is a favourite of mine and I love the idea of curb service. Sounds like a good week to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked salmon is delicious. Not having to do anything to eat it makes it even better.

      Delete
  8. There are times I wish I drank. Your painkiller sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the combo, egg nog, brandy and cookies that worked.

      Delete
  9. Your menu sounds delicious! Particularly the champagne truffles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not manage to get blackeyed peas for my NYD so I had Lentil Soup and bacon to stand in for my BEPs and Ham. I order most of my meals from Schwan's Home Delivery or I would follow your weekly suggestions carefully. I can enjoy Pizza, spaghetti and salmon often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I have not had black eyed peas for NYD is one particular year we were in London and it was not an option.

      Delete
  11. Your meals always sound so good. Though I've never had black eyed peas - something to add to the culinary bucket list.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black eyed peas are not my favorite, especially served alone, but make hoppin' John or redneck caviar and it become very tasty.

      Delete
  12. We have never planned dinner for the week. We talk about it each morning. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.