Translate

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Ooh La La, Breakfast



 DIL3 brought a beautiful panettone when they came to visit. In her family it is a tradition to have a slice along with a class of wine, while toasting to good health and a good year. Though we did not get it done technically during the holidays, because they are still with us we are continuing in holiday mode. We had some last night before eating a traditional Swiss dinner (prepared by DIL3) but there was still more than half a loaf left. 

As we all know food waste is something everyone is trying to avoid, so we did what DIL2 taught me a few years ago when we had a similar loaf left over. We atenpanettone French toast this morning. Everyone has their own method of making it so feel free to change it up to suit your tastes.

3 beaten eggs
1/4 (ish) cup  egg nog (lingering and needed to be used, use milk or cream as desired)
sprinkle of nutmeg (just because)
1 tablespoon sugar
butter (for the cooking process)
leftover medium thickness slices of panettone

Beat the eggs well, stir in the egg nog, sugar and nutmeg. Soak the panettone slices briefly then cook on a buttered griddle pan until one side is set and golden, flip and cook the other side. Serve with either powdered sugar or syrup. Since the bread has a citrus flavor TheHub choose blueberry syrup. He said it was delicious. We had just enough of it for one serving so I used the remaining butter pecan syrup. Son3 and DIL3 opted for maple syrup because it was all that remained. (You snooze, you lose!)

I did not even to begin thinking about posting this until after we had eaten almost everything so there just one solitary picture of one slice. I guess I could take a picture of our smiling faces and full bellies__but, NO!

And speaking of full bellies:
(Pilfered from Facebook)
And now that I have lived through an actual plague I totally understand why Italian Renaissance paintings are full of naked fat people lying on couches.



   

30 comments:

  1. I bet that French toast was fantastic! Fun to see holiday mode is still in full swing there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously good, Martha! Tonight we switched gears into birthday mode for DIL3!

      Delete
  2. So wonderful looking- mouth watering good. How much longer do you get to keep your son and dil? Their visit srrms perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are leaving Tuesday and I hate to see them go but I know they are ready to get back home.

      Delete
  3. That is a great way to use up the panettone . It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That looks delicious!
    French Toast is a favorite around here.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. We do not normally eat French toast, but we are still in holiday mode so what the heck!

      Delete
  5. I love French toast in almost any way shape or form and this looks especially good. And love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty! When I saw it on Facebook this morning I knew I would be using it!

      Delete
  6. Panetone French toast sounds decadent and delicious.
    Our post person brought me a card from you on Friday - many, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would blame the international service, but honestly it was most likely sitting in a facility in Birmingham for weeks before it was her processed. I am still getting Christmas cards that were postmarked the 13 of December and were from just across town.

      Delete
  7. That last sentence was hilarious. Yep, I do understand, too. It has been several minutes and I am still laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that breakfast sounds absolutely delicious! I love French toast and panettone and the combination sounds wonderful! Too funny about the Italian renaissance paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Bless and was a wonderful way to use the bread. Paul Rubens would feel right at home painting me, except I would be lounging in sweat pants and a sweatshirt (one of the three outfits I currently wear)

      Delete
  9. My mother had to have french toast every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rarity here but we might start having it on Sunday since we are only streaming church services.

      Delete
  10. Uummm panettone French toast. Delicious. And you're right, I think we're all going to end up looking "Rubenesque"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very good! I laughed at the Rubenesque comment...I didn't need the pandemic for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not either, but now I look even more Rubenesque!

      Delete
  12. Oh, la la! It looks like the perfect breakfast to me! My family would love this! And I'd love the blueberry syrup on it too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good Pam! I would suggest using all kinds of breads for French toast!

      Delete
  13. That sounds and looks delicious! I like your thoughts about the Renaissance...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh how delicious. i love the sound of this. yep getting fat and lazy is a real thing during covid. tee hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been bored so I have cooked and cooked some delicious sugary things.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.