Translate

Monday, September 13, 2021

That Time I Forgot

Somehow during the monthly freezer meal planning I forgot to plan meals around TheHub's scheduled  surgery. Obviously I knew the procedure was planned and did not forget about it, except for the actual time I was thinking about the meal plan. 
Adjustments were made this week to accommodate him, and since there was no way I would make what he wanted and fix something different for myself, I had a couple of really crappy not what I wanted to eat meals.



 1.  Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad (frozen meat sauce)
 2.  Hamburgers with fixings, corn, cream cheese and jalapeño side dish  (frozen patties, frozen veggies) 
 3.  Bbq ribs, caulitato salad, baked beans (Labor Day meal will buy the ribs already cooked)
 4.  Veggie meal, cornbread TBD based on produce stand and garden availability
 5.  Veggie meal, cornbread TBD based on produce stand and garden availability
 6.  Hamburgers with fixings (frozen patties)
 7.  Taco salad (frozen taco seasoned ground chuck)
 8.  Taco salad (frozen taco seasoned ground chuck)
 9.  Chopped salad with chicken (frozen cooked and seasoned chicken)
10. Pizza, tossed salad (frozen mini pizza crusts, frozen pepperoni)
11. Grilled chicken, brussels sprouts, garlic bread  (frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
12. Stuffed bell peppers, hash browns, coleslaw, green beans (frozen uncooked ground chuck)
13. Fajita baked chicken (thanks Belinda) (frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
14. Grilled steak, baked potato, tossed salad, (frozen  steak)
15. Garden salad, grilled cheese sandwich (lots of cheeses in the fridge)
16. Buffalo chicken, celery sticks, crudités with dip, fruit (frozen chicken tenders)
17. Butter chicken, rice, green vegetable (frozen boneless skinless thighs)
18. Peruvian chicken, mashed potatoes, green vegetable (Frozen boneless skinless thighs)
19. Cedar planked salmon,  mashed potatoes, some green veggie (frozen salmon) 
20. BLT, cucumber onion and tomato salad (frozen cooked bacon)
21. Grilled lamb chops, rice pilaf, green beans, side salad ( frozen rack of lamb)
22. Lamb leftovers 
23. Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes (frozen corned beef)
24. Corned beef leftovers
25. Philly cheesesteak casserole, salad (frozen browned ground chuck)
26. Philly cheesesteak casserole leftovers 
27. Soup and cornbread (frozen chicken broth)


Monday: TheHub bought the ribs and I made the rest of the meal. It was a little lackluster, but tasty nonetheless.
BBQ ribs, caulitato salad, baked beans

Tuesday: This was the surgery day and if he had not needed to take the pain meds with food, I am pretty sure TheHub would have slept from the time he got home until the next morning.
Mashed potatoes (it was the only thing he said he felt like eating, so I had them too)

Wednesday: TheHub was still a little off his norm and did not want anything strong tasting, so I went with exactly what he asked for.
Mac and cheese, leftover crowder peas (not good at all)

Thursday:  By Thursday he was feeling better and wanted "real" food. He did pass on the salad, but I am not his momma and he can eat what he wants.
Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad 

Friday: We had a lot of okra from the garden in, and some squash I had cooked for a casserole earlier in the week. Then, of course, the gift that will not quit giving.
Squash casserole, okra, green beans

Saturday: We had a ball game afternoon that turned into a ball game evening. I just did not want to cook and TheHub decided a stuffed poblano sounded good to him.
Take out Mexican

Sunday: TheHub decided he felt normal, so I cooked without asking him at all. (I normally make dinner without his input anyway, but I have been trying to be nice to him as he mends.) I had planned on making a full recipe of this which would leave leftovers for another meal, but I only cooked enough for one meal. Oh well.
Philly cheesesteak casserole

Used from the freezer:
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • 1 pack of ground chuck

Put into the freezer
  • Medium size bag of sliced bell peppers (I had about 15 from the garden)
  • 1 small pack of stewed tomatoes (had 3 tomatoes about to become overripe
  • Bag of cooked mushrooms in Burgundy sauce (mushrooms were bought on sale, cooked and  individually frozen in 1/2 cup portions then stored in a freezer bag for later)
If I continue like this I am never going to use the contents of the freezer!
Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


    20 comments:

    1. I'm glad to hear your hubs is getting back on track - but you're right to spoil him all the same!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think he would call it spoiled at all. I was just a little nicer than I usually am.

        Delete
    2. Even with your husbands surgery and recovery, I think you meals sound pretty good. I would be happy to just have mashed potatoes for dinner. They are one of my favorite foods. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am mashed potato and Mac and cheese indifferent They we’re not thrilling to me

        Delete
    3. Himself would LOVE a mashed potato dinner. Me? Not so much.
      I am glad that he is more or less back to normal though - for you both.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am thrilled he feels well but I am also glad that I can be myself again and not have to be so nice!

        Delete
    4. So happy that he came out of the surgery okay. When hubs has his esophagus stretched this is what we do, and he is a dork on the way home.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I kind of enjoyed TheHub's ramblings on the way home. He was having a good time doing something, somewhere, in another time.

        Delete
    5. Your meals always sound delicious to me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This past week they were pretty lame, but things were edible and no one here went hungry.

        Delete
    6. I totally get what you mean by, "I'm not his momma" ... WAY past the point of giving a *D* if he wants to eat potato chips w/ onion dip and call it supper.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If he does not want something he will not eat it and if he wants something different he can go get it. I would say he can make it himself, but about the only thing he can cook is eggs, grits and grilled cheese. However, he is an excellent procurer of foods to go so he will not starve even if he does not want what I make for dinner.

        Delete
    7. Tommy is always surprised when I awake from surgery. He says I am not out of it, and very active afterwards. I never get to hear what I said that is funny or unusual. Well, I am glad he is back to himself and eating so you can just feed him what you want. I may have to go buy some fresh green beans!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I blow anesthesia fairly quickly, but obviously TheHub does not.

        Delete
    8. I'm thinking about the mushrooms in burgundy sauce, mmmm. I'm glad he had a good recovery, but hope your delicious food doesn't back fire on him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He will only eat what he feels like eating, so I am not really worried, just not catering to him anymore.
        The mushrooms smelled so good and should taste really good when I want something quick to gussy up some plain meal.

        Delete
    9. Sounds like you are filling up the freezer almost as quickly as you are emptying it! :D Me, too! :D

      ReplyDelete
    10. Good to hear that your hubby is feeling some better. I had to chuckle at your comment that you're not his momma. Last night my son arrived home from work with a bag of potato chips. I said to him, it's leftover night and he said "I figured so, that's why I bought the chips." He did eat some leftovers too...but I know unless it is mac and cheese, he's not a big fan of leftovers.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. All adults of sound mind are ultimately responsible for themselves!

        Delete

    Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.