Translate

Friday, September 24, 2021

The Joy of Being

As usual I am keeping up with the daily joys. So far in 2020 I have done nothing big nor important. I just tend to rock along day to day. I had just begun getting out more and doing a few things when Delta decided to make her appearance.
I am scheduled to get my covid booster on Friday (changed to early next week now) and after a week or two hopefully I can start joining life again. However I will still be masked. Even though our vaccination rate is higher than it was, it is still so much lower than most areas that I will continue to err on the side of caution.  
A couple of movies I really do want to see are out now, so I plan on going to the first movie of the day  since they have very few people anyway. (I was planning on taking a new shower curtain liner  to sit on, but Sluggy suggested I just arm myself with a can of Lysol to spray my seat. Much better and simpler idea!) 



 Friday: The day was filled with wonders and sadness. We closed on Mom's house which was a bittersweet moment. I am so glad we no longer have to take care of it, and the family moving into it is lovely. I hope they have a great life there and enjoy it as much as Mom and Dad did. On the flip side, this was my home from the time I was 12. There are a lot of memories attached to that place.
The actual closing went without a hitch and the buyers agent even gave us a gift of lovely rosemary lavender shortbread cookies. (They were delicious)
After we closed, My Beloved Sister and I went to the bank to deposit the proceeds from the house, then called Son2 to see if he wanted to meet us for lunch. We went after 2 so the lunch crowd would no longer be there and were thrilled to find less than 10 people were in the enormous space. Not only did we celebrate selling the house but MBS and Son2 had not stepped foot inside a restaurant since early March of 2020, so w celebrated a return to life (Cautiously! We would not have gone in if there had been more people inside.)
TheHub came home early and, even though the skies were overcast, we went to our sunset watching place on the bluff. It is a peaceful place to look over the valley even if there is no sunset to watch. We were able to see rain in the distance, which made me a little sad. 
One of my friends, whom I had known since the first grade, died from Covid early Friday morning and the gloom felt a little oppressive. I was about to start crying when the skies in the distance opened and a glorious sunbeam shown through. Lee was a master photographer and loved nothing better than a gorgeous sky or moon photo. He would have loved it!

Saturday: I dipped my toe in the sorting pool of stuff accumulated from Mom's. This is going to be an overwhelming job and will require a couple of road trips to get things to their new homes. At some point and time in the not too distant future, I will be driving to New York and Oregon to take all the treasures each of my sons wants to them.  All this "stuff" is smothering me. 
I have driven from Portland before and it is not a difficult drive, but it is a long one. Since I no longer have to take care of Mom's house or herb business I have the time to make the trip. 
As for driving to NYC, I am pretty sure I will drive close but have Son3 meet me outside of the city so he can do the driving to his place. I can find my way around perfectly fine, but I don't want to drive there. Right now I think my best option for both trips is to rent a van one way, drive out and then fly home, but I can make that decision later.
Saturday was a ball game day, Alabama vs. Florida. Bama won by the skin of their teeth, but I thought Florida looked and played much better. The bright spot was Son2 and DIL2 coming over to watch the game and eat with us. 

Sunday: I began the day with a cup of coffee and conversation with TheHub. He went downstairs to work on taxes while I streamed our church service. We both did our own thing until lunch when we ate and planned our annual budget for our next fiscal year. I do understand things can change on a dime, but a plan helps to accommodate change much better than no plan at all.
Later we watched the first episode of the Ken Burns Mohammed Ali documentary. I highly recommend it.

Monday: Are any of you creatures of habit?  I was out running some errands and passed by Mom's street on the way home. I live just 2 minutes away from the house and pass it each time I go to Publix. Without thinking about it my car turned onto her road. I was at her next door neighbors house when I realized I did not have to check on the house anymore. Hopefully I will get to the point of just glancing at the house occasionally as I drive by.
On a funnier note, TheHub came home from work and found a package addressed to me by the front door. I knew I had not ordered anything, but opened it anyway. Inside was a note from Son3 saying "Happy Buttday" and a rear end shaped planter.  The apple did not fall far from the tree with that kid! 
(I blame the accountant father😏)


Now my only question is, what plant would be most appropriate for this planter?
Monday night we also saw the 2nd episode of "Mohammed Ali"

Tuesday: I would have called it a boring day, but I got to talk to Sluggy and my cousin, which made the day so much better.
That night we watched the 3rd installment of the Mohammed Ali documentary. 

Wednesday: This day was like so many of my days, because I rarely go anywhere anymore, however:
the day was drop dead gorgeous and the temps dropped to a very bearable level. In the evening we drove to the bluff to see the sun set. After we were home and had eaten, we settled in to watch the final episode of Mohammed Ali. Ken Burns makes such great documentaries.

Thursday: My Beloved Sister dropped by and we managed to go through all our Grandmother's photos. There were several very very old photos and we have no clue who is in them, but they are wonderful characters. I am going to take them to a photo shop nearby and see what if anything they can do to enlarge and enhance them. 
My biggest joy of the day was going to Costco with TheHub. While I was there I saw some Christmas dresses for girls. I was able to have a FaceTime conversation in the store with Pip so she could look over the dresses and pick out the one she wanted. Technology will never replace being there is person, but it surely fills the gaps while we are not traveling!

It was another week of mostly small joys, but even a little joy each day is still joyous! Go look for yours!

30 comments:

  1. I could not have resisted that planter! Love it. I hope to have things cleared out for my kids before I am gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided I would get rid of at least 100 things in September. Monday I am loading it all up to take to Goodwill.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to hear the house closing went so well. It's been some time coming.

    Yes, I am a creature of habit - when my children were young they were both in pre-competitive gymnastics so both were at the gym everyday. I can't tell you the number of times we'd get in the car and I'd start driving to the gym, even though we were actually going somewhere else.

    The planter is cute. I wouldn't want to cover it up so something that is short and grows in clusters perhaps?

    My sympathies on the loss of your friend. I count myself very fortunate as no one in my circle has been seriously affected. However, we're in the midst of a serious wave and I'm afraid that might not hold much longer.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have managed to drive by Mom's street a couple of times without habitually turning in it, but I still try to catch a glimpse of the house. I am sure that will lessen over time.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the house sale! I'm sure the new family will make lots of happy memories there too.
    So sorry about the loss of your friend. Glad you were able to see the sunbeam and have a lovely place to watch the sunsets.
    The planter is hilarious! I would probably put in a cactus or succulents.
    Thanks for sharing your joys! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too, Kathy. BTW what is your blog name? I keep trying to find it and can't!

      Delete
    2. No blog for me. I have nothing interesting to say. ;)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful week, Anne. We are enjoying the cooler weather here too. It’s a good idea to have your son drive you to his place in NYC. I would do something similar. You’re going to have to find a very special plant for that planter. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is just blissful. I have everything opened airing out the house.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't want to attempt to drive in New York either so I think you'd be making the right decison to have your son do the driving! And how about filling that planter with "buttockcups"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations again my friend. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regine. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. Hooray for another week of joys (bittersweet though some of them were).
    The planter sounds great, but sadly the picture doesn't show in my reader.
    And hooray for eating in a restaurant. Something I have not done in a very long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We timed the restaurant to be an off time because we have been so cautious! I know I have to start living life again but our state is still under 50 percent vaccinated and very few people wear masks anywhere.

      Delete
  8. That planter is a panic! Love your son's sense of humor. I hope we'll be offered the booster soon-like; we, too, plan to continue erring on the side of caution. I may need to start shopping for Christmas masks. (*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three of my sons have basically the same sense of humor. I have never had to worry about being treated like a queen.

      Delete
  9. I think the planter should be a white elephant gift mailed to friends to see what they do with it. Each year it would sport a new plant and be displayed. It would be a fun horror of an object.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the sale of your parents' house. I am glad that I don't live in the same town as my parents' house--I moved there when I was three. Two of my sisters are friends with the new owners on FB and get to see everything they are doing with the house. It's all good, but for now, I need a little separation because it's still an emotional thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I were talking about it. She lives close but does not have to go by Mom's street every day like I do. I think for right now seeing it everyday is kind of difficult.

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry for the loss if your friend. Too many are still grieving with this virus. The planter is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The planter is fun and sort of speaks to my son's sense of humor.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the sale of the house! I'm sure the new owners will love that house. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, but, the ray of sunlight coming through the clouds was a message from him, I think, saying his spirit is well. I love that planter! Maybe you can plant your mango seed in it, once you've germinated one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled about the family who bought Mom's house and I honestly think he would have picked them to live in it. I hope they have a wonderful life in it. (They are from Orange County California and might have a little trouble adapting to southern culture though)
      We are honestly thinking of building a small greenhouse so we can over-winter some more tropical plants.

      Delete
  13. I can imagine how bittersweet the selling of the house was for you. I'm so happy for you that you are done with that stage.

    I'm so sorry about your friend. It's overwhelming to hear about how many people are being directly impacted. Sending good thoughts for peace & healing.

    I adore the planter. It would make me laugh every time I saw it!I'd go with something hot & spicy, like a pepper. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the planter and I love that it was a surprise with a cheeky message :)

    I find it odd to hear people speak of booster shots when I haven't had my second shot yet but that's just a sign of how quickly you got yours in the first place.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of the "If you have an open vial with doses that the scheduled person does not shows up for call me and I can be there in 15 minutes" people. I think they had only been giving them for about a week when I got the call. Here once you get the first one the second is scheduled automatically.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.