Translate

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Build Me Up Butternut

Monday night I was just not feeling it. I had a severe case of the lazys, and watched/listened to not 1, but 2 movies while clearing items that I no longer use from the kitchen cabinets.  Do I really need 4 crockpots?
While I was sorting, I decided to throw a butternut and spaghetti squash in the oven. I thought I would bake them and scoop the flesh out to refrigerate and use another day. Until, I realized it was nearly 6 and I had done absolutely nothing about dinner. (Because I was busy sifting through kitchen stuff while watching/listening to 2 movies)
Thank goodness I always have quart bags of frozen chicken stock on hand, and also as a few other vegetables in the crisper.



I am sorry I did not think to measure anything but this is how I roll most of the time. I began with a cooked medium size butternut squash and 1 quart of frozen chicken stock. I chopped an onion and put it in a soup pot with the frozen broth, turned the heat up to medium and began stirring while listening to the last 20 minutes of movie number 2. We are still getting bell peppers and banana peppers from the garden so I chopped one of each and added it to the soup. There was also a slightly soft tomato on the counter which was, chopped and tossed it in the pot. When the veggies were nice and soft in went coriander powder, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt and pepper. I tasted it and it was still not quite what I wanted so I added about a tablespoon of cholula. Since I had already cooked the squash I took it out of the fridge, mashed it with a potato masher and added it. When everything was hot, I used an immersion blender to smooth it out. There were still a few small chucks of tomato but it was fine for us. I threw in about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, which was a little too much. I think 1/4 would have been a little better and would not have thinned out the soup as much as the 1/2 cup did. 




I served it in our pasta bowls, because we were only having soup with a side of coleslaw and a slice of toast.  To make it look a little prettier I sliced 3 limp scallions, and cut a small banana pepper into rings, put them on the top of the soup with a dollop of sour cream. (I had about 2 seconds to snap the photo before they sunk.) 
It was surprisingly good with enough left over for a lunch for me. I will be adding this to our fall /winter meal rotation.
If you have a squash hanging around you might want to try this and adjust the heat for your personal taste.

p.s. It was still not quite hot enough for me so I stirred a couple of teaspoons of chili crisp into mine. Ummmm, much better!

27 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds good.
    I had to ask Captain Google about cholula though. I don't think we have it here, but a bit of heat improves a LOT of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just my favorite hot sauce and hot sauce is hot sauce.

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely with the garnish on top! Sounds delicious, too! But, what I want to know is, what did you decide was the right number of crock pots for you? :D I have one, but, rarely use it because it doesn't have a removable liner, so washing it is a bit of a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garnish lasted a couple of seconds then was gone. I started with a dollop of sour cream and was going to sprinkle the other stuff over it, but it sank almost immediately. The stuff in the photo is sitting (very very briefly on top of the sunken sour cream.
      One of the crockpots has 3 pots in it but I count it as one because it is just one unit. Then I kept the largest one and a very small one. I tossed the middle size.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Every year about this time I fantasize about making butternut squash soup. And every year it remains that: a fantasy. One of my favorite culinary memories is being served butternut squash/brandy bisque at a Fall festival. What I wouldn't give to discover it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative. I have never made a soup like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panera has a delicious butternut soup in the fall. I just wanted it flavored differently.

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious. We love butternut squash soup as well, and also went with a spicier/chili profile this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chili crisp always makes things better. :-) This is exactly the sort of dish we often have for dinner -- pretty quick and easy to make, and totally satisfying. Nice! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! Butternut squash soup is one of the few ways my husband will eat squash. I think he would like it even better with hot sauce.
    I'm going to put chili crisp on my grocery list as I have never tried it before, but I think my guys would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time finding it in regular stores, but found it easily in an Asian market

      Delete
  8. Mmmm. Warm and soothing. Your bowls are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bowls are looking a little worse for wear. Though they are supposed to be pasta bowls I use them for everything! I think I got them at World Market 15 or so years ago

      Delete
  9. Soup is such a versatile meal. In fact, I'm having soup from the freezer for lunch today along with a homemade bun. Cream of spinach that I spiced up with red pepper flakes (it wouldn't be hot enough for you), and some grated cheese added in. I wish my son would eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious and you can always add heat at the table!
      My kids would always eat just about any vegetable but 2 of the three never ate fruit.

      Delete
  10. Oh that soup looks delicious. I reckon coriander, cumin and chili flakes make every soup delicious - though I had to look up cholula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those spices make just about anything delicious! I even like chili flakes with chocolate!

      Delete
  11. I made a butternut squash soup last with with squash and chicken broth from the freezer. However, it was a little bland until I put curry in it. Then I thought it was good, but the others added hot sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was good with curry, and I understand adding additional heat!

      Delete
  12. Sounds and looks lovely. You are truly a cook my freind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soup looks delicious, Anne. I like butternut squash, so would like this I'm sure. It's cold and rainy here, so I made a big pot of chili to enjoy for a few days.

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate the leftover soup yesterday for lunch and it was so much better reheated. Next time I make it I will make it a day in advance so it will have some refrigerator time for all the flavors to marry.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.