Translate

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The House on the Hill



I wrote about the big white monolith that sits behind my house and thought I would expand on it just a bit. 


This was a google earth photo that was taken when my neighbor still lived in the house.  You will notice some shrubs in front of the house and it would have been when her lawn was mostly grass. 
With just a couple of inexpensive changes they could have altered the appearance of the front of the house that would have cost much less than the 3 coats of paint it took to cover it.
Imagine what a difference putting siding in the front gable, down to the weird roof line (you would still have to trim the porthole window which is in the bonus room) and painting it a color found in the brick, replacing the wrought iron banister with a wooden one and adding thin shutters to just the outside of the two windows under the gable would look. Easy, inexpensive big change, and the house would look welcoming.

This is the house today, You can see the ruts in the ground cover, which has very little grass, but a lot of weeds.
Also compare the roof from the before picture to the now photo. Those are not shadows on the left side of the roof
To me the house looks like a jail or a fortress

First let me explain that I live in a pretty desirable neighborhood. It is not one of the fancy streets with gates and HOA's. It is not a neighborhood with the biggest or newest houses. In fact part of the 'hood was built in the 60's then the newer section opened up in the late 80's. 

My house is in the newer section, though our previous home was just a few blocks away in the older one, so I am very, very familiar with the area.  Mom's house was just 2 minutes away, and I was tromping through here when I was a kid, blazing trails through "the woods" which is where my current home is now located,

What makes this neighborhood specifically desired is that it is located on the edge of two suburban cities, located directly off an artery road between the two. It has all the benefits of a bedroom community, while being close to excellent shopping, restaurants and entertainment, and access to the interstate.  

Our burb does not offer school buses as an option, but this neighborhood is an easy drive to all the schools. (I am not going to lie, though. Traffic is a beast every morning and afternoon at drop off and pick up time) This neighborhood is filled with kids and thankfully there are always carpools for parents to hook up with.

Additionally we have a neighborhood "events coordinator ". She is a young mom who organizes get- togethers for the entire neighborhood that are held in one of the cul de sacs on the newer end of the subdivision. (The newer area has only one entrance and the side streets are all a series of cul de sac's so there is no worry about cars and safety) It is wonderful because it affords everyone of all ages the opportunity to get to know each other. Word has gotten out that this is a fun and friendly neighborhood.

Now that you know the generalities of the area let me talk specifics. My house is the first house (the only house) on the right as you turn into our section. I live on a corner lot and my house faces the road as you turn in. When you go beyond my house you have to take either a right or left and if you turn right the next house is the one I am talking about. The entire back of my house faces the side of the white monolith (which swill be referred to as the WM from here on out). I am not actively watching the flip, but if I am in my kitchen or den (where I spent the most time) or in any bedroom upstairs, I can't help but see what is going on.

We knew the house would be bought and flipped eventually. Over 2 years ago the previous owner, a  very kind woman in her mid 70's, developed some issues that resulted in a need for an immediate relocation. I will not go into any specifics about her, but non of the neighbors were surprised. After she left and it was obvious she would not be returning, we thought one of her adult children might occupy the home. As time went on and nothing happened, the house sat unoccupied, with no heat on in the winter and no air on in the summer.  Not good for an extremely humid climate. I can only imagine the mold and mildew that was in the house.

When the grass grew taller and taller then the weeds took over and grew taller still, at first a few of the neighbors would attack it, just to keep the overgrowth down. Finally her son in Chicago arranged to have it at least mowed every other week, which was wonderful. Meanwhile the siblings were at odds with each other about what to do with the house to secure their mother's future.

I had not been inside the house in a few years but my wonderful neighbor on the other side of her was in regularly for whatever emergency of the day she was having. She noticed the hoarding tendencies had worsened. So things were deteriorating before she left and did not improve over the next couple of years.

Fast forward to 2 1/2 years later the totally neglected houses sold to some flippers, who have been working from 9 each morning until 10 at night. Every. Single. Day since August.  I am not sure what all has been done but I do know they are on their 5th construction debris container, which is a metal container the width of a semi and is about 20 feet long.  I assume they had to tear our all the sheetrock and I know they tore out all the bathroom fixtures because for a couple of days  every time I walked by the den window I would see toilets and vanities sitting in the driveway. 

I am just guessing but having a crew there full time for 2 months with the amount of debris they removed from the house, they have to be in for well over 100k.  I figure the push is on to get this show ready because as I type this before 8 a.m. they are at it already.   I hear trash being thrown in the container and hear very loud music. It will be better once I close the house up and turn on the a/c for the day.

I imagine  the flippers originally thought they could get this done in a month, sold, and walk away with the cash. Now that we are past two months, there has been some yelling in the afternoons when they come to check on the house. I think they see profits dwindling as the carrying cost each month is money out of their pockets. 

Other than noise and vehicles pulling in and out of the driveway (lots and lots of vehicles) and the fact that this put an end to my daily lap swimming, it has not bothered me.  I am amazed at everything they ripped out and painted over and how often they have changed the paint color in the interior. I was also kind of amazed that they bought new garage doors in this really nice espresso color, then painted them white to match the rest of WM. The contrast actually looked much nicer. But I guess they wanted them to match the now painted white light fixtures on either side of the garage doors. Which also matches the dryer vent and the oven exhaust. I hope whoever buys this home likes to paint, because this sucker is going to require a lot of it. 

I am pretty sure once I get to see the inside (and when they have an open house I will go see it) I will find it is all gray and white. I am guessing there will be subway tiles somewhere, quartz or marble countertops, a farmhouse sink and hardwood floors. (I hope they just sanded and refinished the originals. Because of allergies, the entire house minus the kitchen and baths were hardwood, but with their penchant for tearing things out the floors may have been ripped out and tossed.)
The house was already an open concept but did have a separate dining room. They may or may not have ripped out that wall. It will be fun to see.

Hopefully they still have a little bit of money left in the budget for some landscaping because the WM currently has none. They tied a rope around everything in front of the house to their truck and ripped it out. They were very lucky. We had a friend whose yard man did the same and it broke the natural gas line, then was ignited by a spark from his tractor and the entire house pretty much exploded. 

I hope WM  sells quickly and hope we will have some good neighbors, because the rest of mine are great! The house has 4 bedrooms and would make a really nice family home, especially for teens, because the property is not great for young kids. The front yard is a steep downhill slope  and the back yard is just about as steep going uphill. There is a small space in the back of the house when the yard was graded for the house build where some sort of small patio could be built, or a swing set could be set up, but that is about it for any potential play area. 

I also hope someone will tell whoever buys it that the privacy windows in the sunroom that are supposed to keep anyone from seeing in don't, and never have worked, especially at night if the lights are on. 

Addendum: We have lived in this house for over 20 years and WM's roof is the same one that has been on as long as we have been here. I hope the potential owners check that out closely. I would not want to move in and have to immediately replace a roof.








34 comments:

  1. "I am pretty sure once I get to see the inside (and when they have an open house I will go see it) I will find it is all gray and white. I am guessing there will be subway tiles somewhere, quartz or marble countertops, a farmhouse sink and hardwood floors."
    That's been my experience lately. In fact, when I went to pick out interiors on our new build, the designer had---subway tiles, and gray(ish) wood floors. No, and no. I picked warm colors, and a honey oak colored wood floor. (I detest carpet, and will not have it in my house.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This house was hardwood throughout. I hope they refinished them but I guess I will not find out quite yet. From the outside and from the part of the kitchen you can see from my house, it looks like they just flipped this house using the typical flipping formula. I don't want a cold sterile house!

      Delete
  2. That house in the before picture looked warm and inviting. Now, the house looks blank. The house looks frightened. It certainly needs shutters. Don't worry, a home inspector will flag that roof immediately and the price will come down. I am appalled at the extent gray is used in so many aspects in homes nowadays. Take pictures when you visit. I wonder how much damage was done to save heating and cooling the house. When I went to NYC for a week and to Atlanta for another week, I did not dare turn off the heat! I cannot imagine what two years did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gray seems to be the it color with the younger crowd, so I don't really have a problem with the color. I just don't understand a formulaic approach to flipping without adding to a homes character.

      Delete
  3. That is a seriously ugly renovation. I do hope you will be able to take photos when you get to see inside, but am not expecting it to be welcoming or cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not expect cozy but I am sure they have added high end fixtures

      Delete
  4. Oh, the before picture looks so much better! It looked warm and welcoming! It would be interesting to see what they did in the inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now everything looks sterile and harsh. But it is not my money, so other than having to look at it every single day, it is none of my business. I just hope we get some good neighbors from this.

      Delete
  5. If they had replaced the hardwood floors, that would be such a waste. I like warm colors at home. Homey and cozy is what I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a waste but by the amount of construction/detruction debris I would not be surprised if they did.

      Delete
  6. The house had character before, now it looks cold and sterile and your wm moniker is apt. Hopefully the flippers will add some landscaping. Sheesh I can't imagine how much they have spent on that renovation. Looking forward to your update after you go to the open house...inquiring minds want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be visiting when they have an open house. All I really want from this flip is good neighbors

      Delete
  7. I can tell that you are really passionate about your feelings for WM. I think this may be the longest post you have written. Sounds like the flippers are trying to neutralize the house to make it the least objectionable to the most amount of buyers. I do hope they still have landscaping and accents such as shutters still to add because right now the house has no curb appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has zero curb appeal and the way it sits on the lot detracts from its desirability to begin with. The workers seem seriously frenzied right now, so I am wondering if they have an open house planned for Sunday.

      Delete
  8. Bless the flippers heart. Y'all from the south know exactly what my opinion is of the flip based on that statement....lol. Cindy in the South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do! I have blessed their poor little hearts countless times over since it began!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing all the details of this flipped house. I do hope they will add back some character that they have stripped away with the WM. Oh, I hope you can take pictures inside when it is an open house. I bet you are right about the color palette...or lack thereof. Wow! I do hope after all that effort you will end up with some really good neighbors, who will take good care of the house and plant pretty flowers around or something to add some color. Yes, I agree with Anon. above..."bless the flipper's heart"...and I'm from the south too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Everyone from the south is familiar with "Bless his heart". I fear our long standing code is now known outside of the region.

      Delete
  10. They certainly didn't improve the curb appeal, in fact I actually like the way it looked previously. As you've said a little updating would have done the trick.

    I bet the investors aren't happy with the flippers - hopefully the noise and construction ends soon. I'm looking forward to hearing about the open house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for the expense (because, after all ,isn't the purpose of flipping to make money?) I would have done the minimal to the outside. A little gussying up (southern term) would have made it so much more attractive with little cost or labor.

      Delete
  11. Wow-I am amazed at people that flip houses, but try and create an entirely different house. Yes-clean it up, repair any health issues (mold, leeks, etc.) but the roof would have been top of list as a new roof, etc would be better suited than multiple coats of pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, but it is not my investment so when I think does not really matter. And the house definitely sticks out from the others in the neighborhood now.

      Delete
  12. Not unusual, but what a sad state of affairs when adult(?) children can't come to terms with their parent's estate. As others have said, I not a fan of the new look. Soul-less comes to mind. You'll have to tell us when it goes on the market and we can look at the realtor's pictures

    I'm still sore that 3 years ago the home inspector failed to notice not one -- but two -- buckets in the attic collecting rain water. Not a year later we had to replace the whole roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should tell any potential buyer to come look at the roof from one of my upstairs bedroom windows

      Delete
  13. WHY, why, why would they cover that beautiful brick with white paint? Why!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Painting brick is in these days. My sister's new neighbors painted their lovely brick house white, tore out the landscaping and cut down the pretty flowering dogwoods. They're young couple, wanted the house to be fashionable and "opened up" the property. It looks as cold and sad as the WM beside you! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand it is a trend and I get if if the brick is really unattractive. Another of my neighbors painted a yellow brick house and it looks much better, but they also added shutters and window boxes and new large shrubbery so the home looks very inviting. The one behind me just looks uninviting.

      Delete
  15. I didn't really mind the look of it before the paint job but I'm really impressed that you have inexpensive style suggestions. I wouldn't know where to start, except to say that removing the shrubs was a mistake.

    My daughter's MIL flips houses and my daughter says the things she does are an abomination, ripping out good floors, painting everything white.....I guess there are standard "renovations" they do to keep the market happy.

    I look forward to your report on the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand taking out things that are grossly dated or don't work but I did find out these flippers ripped every single bit of the hardwoods out, then replaced them with more hardwood. That just does not make financial sense. I had hardwoods in a previous home sanded and refinished and it was about 1/4 the cost of replacing them.

      Delete
  16. The house was much prettier before all that white paint and you are so right about the changes that could have made it even more attractive. The subway tile and all the gray and white are fads. The people who owned my house before me remodeled the kitchen and put up white subway tile with white cabinets and black countertops. I do not like all the white but I can't afford to change it so I live with a kitchen I'm not crazy about. I will love hearing more about the house when it's finished and you see the inside. I'm glad you like your neighbors. I like mine, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived with a lot of things in houses that I am not crazy about too. There is a strange mindset among younger buyers who think they have to have it all, the best, and move in ready. I have never moved into a house that was "ready".

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.