Translate

Monday, October 18, 2021

Dinnertime Time Warp

This past week began like every other week with good intentions, knowing we would go out to celebrate TheHub's birthday. Of course I had forgotten the Greek Food Festival which we always either attend or do take out.  Then we had an unplanned and unexpected Saturday occurrence which altered our day, so all aims to use a lot from the freezer went out the window along with most cooking. And all of a sudden the week had passed and time flew out the window.




Monday: Since I had taken the duck breasts out to thaw, I was committed to cooking them Monday. The bonus came serendipitously when I was deciding what side dishes to have.
Duck with orange ginger sauce, cauliflower slices sautéed in duck fat,  tomato slices

Tuesday: I had planned to really cook but when I was looking through the fridge I decided to go ahead and have the leftover cheeseburger casserole. TheHub did not want it but I remembered I had frozen some leftovers from a couple of weeks ago
Leftover cheeseburger casserole with salad or leftover frozen ziti with salad.

Wednesday: We try to have a vegetable meal at least once a week. This was that day. (Except that TheHub added something left from one of his lunches)
Squash casserole, okra, corn on the cob or none, leftover chicken or none

Thursday: We have always gone out to eat for our birthdays . Thursday we celebrated TheHub at Jubilee Joe's  
Soft shell crab and fixings or grilled grouper salad

Friday: Each year during the fall The Greek  Food Festival is held downtown. We go and either eat there or drive through.. This was one of those drive through years.  I was bummed out because I did not have room in the freezer to get the pans of frozen pastichio or the  koularakias I usually buy.
Greek chicken, rice pilaf, tossed salad.

Saturday: After a late lunch following a funeral, we were not very hungry. 
Dip with chips or pork skins, peanut butter and jelly sandwich (or none)

Sunday: Son2 and Dil2 came over to have another birthday celebration dinner for TheHub.
Grilled lamb chops, new potatoes, green beans, tossed salad, rolls (no birthday cake because we are not doing sugar)

Used from the freezer: 
2 duck breast
rack of lamb
2 packs green beans

Put in the freezer: 
Nothing

Planned for the week:
1.Vegetable beef soup, cornbread
2.Grilled fish, tossed salad, something else
3.Stuffed bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, brown rice
4.Crack chicken, tossed salad, green beans
5.Hamburgers and fixings or Sloppy Joe's and coleslaw
6.Takeout
7.Whatever happens with whatever I thaw. No inspiration here

Maybe this will happen and maybe not. Who knows?
Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!

Oops, forgot to post this morning!



31 comments:

  1. Duck with orange ginger sauce sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had ordered something from the Greek Festival that I did not. That was a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intentionally did not order the pasta or cookies but ti does not feel like a real trip to the festival coming home without them. I know how to make both of them, but it is just not the same.

      Delete
  3. Even your falling off the plan dishes sound impressive to me. And hooray for Greek food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or not is often my real menu. Last night I made butternut squash ravioli from Trader Joe's in a mushroom sauce. Ravioli was good, sauce was good, but together was not right. Between Vic's trip highlights and hearing Greek festival, I really want a gyro with loads of tatziki sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not happens here a lot because I cook subject to my moods. . We have a local Greek restaurant that makes great tatziki. Sometimes I run by and order just that. It rounds out some boring meals.

      Delete
  5. Yum. Now I want to go to souvlaki.
    It's time to watch Rocky Horror picture show again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we get a plate of souvlaki to bring home for the next day. I guess since we were having lamb chops on Sunday that was my reasoning to leave without it. But now I am regretting it!


      Delete
  6. It's always fun to hear something from the Rocky Horror picture show. With COVID, the last two years have felt like a time warp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of my children saw THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW and they saw the play. This video you posted is the closest I ever came. Thanks for enlightening me. My freezer is filled with frozen meals and not good stuff like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen both and really do like it for all of its campiness. I have a friend that we have only referred to as Dammit Janet since the first time I ever saw it. (decades ago)

      Delete
  8. Having lived 5 min. from the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs, I miss me some good Greek fare! Guess I'll be content with leftover pork stew; perhaps a wilted spinach/bacon stir-fry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have eaten at restaurants in Tarpon springs and I know exactly what deliciousness you miss!

      Delete
  9. Plan or no plan, you definitely eat better than we do here. I try to hide as many veg as I can in the meals I make for my son. He's pretty good at picking them out. :p

    Happy belated birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub and I are vegetable eaters so there is no one being picky about much of anything here!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, The Time Warp is one of my favourite songs! Seriously! Did you ever try counting how many times Susan Sarandon fainted in that movie??? A few years ago my sister, her hubs and daughter went to some kind of shindig that was Rocky Horror Show related and they did this dance (all dressed up of course). My sister would have been in her 60s at that time and you know what - I would love to join them next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We first saw RHS when the movie came out and toast was flying and water guns were squirting while you covered your head with newspaper. I am glad that the first time we saw it was an immersive, participatory experience..
      Good for your sister and her husband!

      Delete
  11. I have never cooked duck, and I remember eating it as a child and not liking it at all. Too gamey for me. I am thinking chili and corn bread some time this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was not wild duck. It was farm raised and not gamey at all.
      TheHub wanted chili instead of soup but I had a bag of random veggies from dinners past taking up space in the freezer.

      Delete
  12. Greek food sounds like a good change from what I've been cooking lately -- tatziki sounds inspired! Trader Joe's grape leaves too. Of course I think only one meal ahead when there are just the 2 of us. So maybe for dinner today or tomorrow.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying (and not winning) to use food from the freezer. I guess I should start having dinner parties again(thanks Covid) to use more of the items.

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had several very tasty meals during the week, even if you didn't quite keep to the plan. :) I have beef vegetable soup on the stove as I type this! I was thinking of having toast with it, but, cornbread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially since I cooked very little. Very, very little!
      Enjoy your soup!

      Delete
  14. I love duck and almost never cook it. Maybe because I never buy it? Funny how that works! I gotta make an effort to purchase it more often. And about your post about the trolls -- SO annoying, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided that we should have duck at least every other month.
      The trolls are annoying and so blooming unnecessary!

      Delete
  15. I'm so bad at planning diners. Greek Food Festival sound tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've said it before but i do admire your food planning. mine is so ad hoc!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad hoc works just as well as planning. I rarely stick to the plan anyway!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.