Translate

Friday, December 3, 2021

And Now Week 48 Is Over

We had a wonderful visit on the left coast and now we are back home and can begin the Christmas frenzy as we countdown the remaining days until the jolly fellow makes his arrival. 
This year has flown, in spite of the isolation and lack of interaction with other humans. While I hope 2022 will be a little kinder to the world, I will continue to count my daily joys!



Friday: Pip and her lifelong best friend came to the hotel to swim, have pizza and jump on the ridiculously big bed. What is better than hearing two young girls laughing and giggling? 
We went over to their house later in the evening for delicious turkey soup.

Saturday: Alabama and their arch rival, Auburn, played football. Alabama should not have won but they did after 4 over times.  Roll Tide!  DIL1 who does not give a flip about the sport joined in watching the game and yelling right along with us when the winning points were scored!

Sunday: They had a complete family birthday party for Pip. It was much fun and neighborhood kids floated in and out all day. We stayed at their house until it was time for us to head to the airport. We got there 3 hours early and just sat in the concourse listening to a guy playing the piano, until it was time to catch a red eye flight home

Monday: We arrived him about 9 am, and probably the most joyful thing was getting unpacked, a couple of loads of laundry done, and a long nap ( because I can't sleep on a plane).

Tuesday: I literally stayed at home all day long.. The only thing that might have been better would have been to stay in my pajamas all day. Instead, I was dressed and doing laundry. 

Wednesday: I had a fudge making day and cranked out about 3 pounds of peanut butter fudge and a couple of pounds of praline fudge to give to a group of folks who were passing through town. Of course I had to do some taste testing to make sure it was good enough to give!

Thursday: My beloved sister and I rode around and ran some errands. I missed her while we were gone and loved being with her. She makes me laugh more than anyone else .
TheHub and I went to The Alys to see Jazz at the Lincoln Center Orchestra. They were great as usual.
Thankfully The Alys staff is very mindful of Covid and operates at 1/3 capacity with mask requirements.  I know it is not great for the performers who are used to sell out crowds, but right now I had rather pay a little more per ticket and feel a lot safer. 

So that wraps up  my list of joys for the week. I hope you find yours because they are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne

30 comments:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful visit!! I know it was great to spend Thanksgiving with your family and to celebrate Pip's birthday! What fun! Definitely some joys to remember.
    Is your peanut butter fudge and praline fudge recipes posted on your blog? I love peanut butter and chocolate. :)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://newhappeningsatthetable.blogspot.com/search?q=peanut+butter+fudge

      Praline Fudge

      Butter a 9x9 square pan and set aside

      1 1/2 cup brown sugar
      1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
      3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
      1 cup evaporated milk
      1 tablespoon vanilla
      2 tablespoons butter
      1 1/2 cup pecan pieces

      In large pot combine sugars, syrup and evaporated milk. Cook on medium until it reaches a soft ball (235ish degrees on a candy thermometer). Cool 10 minutes then add vanilla and butter. Beat for 2 minutes then add pecans. Continue beating until mixture loses its gloss. Pour into the prepared pan and score the top of the candy into pieces about 3/4 square. Let cool then continue cutting the candy into individual pieces. This stuff is rich but delicious. Store in an airtight container and it will keep for several days.

      Delete
  2. A spectacular week of joys for you this time - which I am smiling about as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happiness to hear kids laughing. Unfortunately we too often hear fighting and crying from next door. Fudge making is on my list as well. I will do peanut butter, peanut butter chocolate, and then just chocolate. I guess each batch is about a pound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing kids playing and having fun. I am pretty lucky because most of the kids in our neighborhood get also pretty well.

      Delete
  4. So happy you got a chance to see your family (and Pip!) My joys for the week:
    -Seeing the kids playing together again (school soccer)
    -Getting a small break from work over the long weekend
    -Enjoying the Christmas lights, both at our house, and in the neighborhood
    -The lack of holiday stress. There's plenty to do, but not too much. It's festive, without being overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think aiming for festive without being overwhelmed is the key!

      Delete
  5. OMW on that game! I'm sure my blood pressure was through the roof; and to make matters worse, Tom predicted back in the 4th Quarter that would happen. I've only done two red-eye flights and was a mess for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe the outcome of the game.
      We had very comfortable flights back, but I cannot sleep on a plane or train for that matter.

      Delete
  6. Oh the joys of unpacking and laundry! Lol! I am glad you had a nice time and enjoyed Pip's birthday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laundry is just part of the trip. And not the fun part either!

      Delete
  7. Giggling little girls...nothing better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely joys, this week, Anne; I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with Pip, your Son1 and DIL1. Glad you had a safe flight home, too. And oh, the joys of laundry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great visit and now that I have experienced train travel I am ready to ride the rails around the country!

      Delete
  9. Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a great trip! And, a whole day of fudge making! Mmmm Laundry is satisfying but not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even find laundry satisfying. Just necessary!

      Delete
  11. YOur trip sounds delightful and I'm glad all went as planned with the somewhat complicated transportation plans.

    best.. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a planes, trains, and automobile trip but was a wonderful time.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a week of beautiful joys, Anne. I would have loved hearing the girls giggling while jumping on the bed too. I’m glad you got to spend time with your family and your sister too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved being with Pip but it really was more fun watching her interact with her friends!

      Delete
  13. Your trip sounds delightful - I'm so happy you had that time with Pip and her parents.

    I watched the last quarter and OT of that game and thought of you. Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip was great and after the 4th OT we could all finally breathe again!

      Delete
  14. What a good week!

    How did we get to week 48??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie is seems like just a couple of months ago when we were saying a fond goodbye to 2020. I have no idea where this year has gone!

      Delete
  15. I'm so glad you had such a great time with your son and his family. For some reason I got it in my head that you were taking the train back too but I guess once was enough right. Sometimes you just want to get home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when we planned on driving, we were going to take a plane home. It was just a matter of time. This was the first real vacation TheHub has taken in over 5 years. For all the other times when we were out of town he would work in the business center or our room at the hotel for most of the work day. As far as I know, this trip he had a couple of quick conference calls and answered a few emails late at night and that was it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.