Translate

Saturday, January 22, 2022

2022 Week 3

Week 3 is in the books, and around here the joys were pretty small. Honestly they felt non-existent at least one day, but on reflection I found several things that gave me joy. Maybe it was not the big whopping excitement I would have preferred, but still there were joyful things.  I hope sometime soon we can all look back at this pandemic and be glad it is over.


Saturday: We were out and about before the bad weather hit.  We had a couple of quick errands to run and stopped to pick up some lunch on the way home. As the rains started and the temperatures began to drop we both curled up in the den with books and blankets. It was joyful to be out of the weather with no where we had to be. 
After a quick dinner, we settled in to watch a couple of episodes of Billions/

Sunday; The day was another glusome (Mom's word) and cold day.  I woke prepared to watch our church service, but my internet had other ideas. We had no cable, internet or landline during the morning, As the storms rolled in  in the wee hours of Sunday morning I kept hearing transformers blowing in our neighborhood. Do I even have to mention the joy in having underground utilities, while the street right above ours does not. When I opened the door I could hear the sound of generators going. Thankfully we never did lose power, and none of the rest really mattered. We wound up reading unit things were working and then we watched another episode of Billions. It was a great day to stay inside!

Monday  Very thankful for the small joys a day with no rain and slightly warmer temps provides. It was MLK day so I could not get my banking done. Instead I went to The Pig where I scored free Maxwell House coffee and a can of Manwich, I don't use canned Sloppy Joe sauce, but I will stick it in with the things I have set aside for the food pantry the next time I am by it. (Scored free is a relative term, I had to buy 10 dollars worth or merchandise to get it, so I bought fresh produce, tea bags, and a pack of breakfast pork chops Wound up being just a few pennies over 10 plus tax of course)

Tuesday The day was drop dead gorgeous with blue skies and temps in the 5o's. I got all dressed up and realized I had no where to go.  I guess I could have gone shopping but I needed nothing and Covid is really rampant here, so I stayed at home. Instead I did minor housework and worked on my finances for the year. 
I did not want or need slippers but TheHub gave me some for Christmas anyway  Until the last week or so I had not worn them because it had mostly wearing been flip flops in the house. By Tuesday, they had shaped to my foot perfectly. They are the best ever, I just did not know how much I needed them!
A few days ago TheHub and I had been talking about having one of our college friends for dinner., I had not talked to him in years, so I gave him a call, We caught up with each other 's lives and I invited him over to eat once this current covid mess is over. (Or lessens considerably)

Wednesday: It was a gorgeous day again, and I should have made plans to meet C. for lunch, but our state infection rates are seriously high and neither of us want to be out in the middle of it. She is still seeing her 92 year old mother regularly and the last thing she wants to do is carry Covid to her. Instead I stayed home, did some chores, and cooked a bit of food in advance. When I am bored I tend to cook___a lot!
What can I say? TheHub came home, we ate, then watched Billions!

Thursday: And the drop dead gorgeous days ended. The day started out on the coolish side and got colder and colder as the day progressed. I stayed home instead of going anywhere, because I did not need anything and going out would strictly be just to go out. Instead I attacked Mount Laundry and tamed it, then started organizing a couple of cabinets in the kitchen. I have done quite a bit of decluttering this week and that does bring me joy.
After eating we watched Billions. We are almost caught up just in time for the new season to begin. You have no idea how much we look forward to watching just one episode a week!
Late at night the storms came and the temps plummeted. I don't do cold well!

Friday: The day was bitter cold and damp but not rainy. I had scheduled the delivery fro my couch so I spent the morning moving the den furniture out fo the way for the delivery. Two extremely nice guys delivered it and also took the old couch to the downstairs den. I think it will work really well down there__eventually!
My beloved sister came by for a few minutes and said a couple of things that were so funny I literally fell off the loveseat laughing. I can not think of a better joy than possibly having the best sister in the world.
TheHub came home and we decided we did not want to get out in the cold, so I made soup, we stayed home, ate and then watched Billions.  (I am tired of Axe and Chuck). 
The upside of the night was the cold requiring an additional blanket, a flannel gown and a good book in bed! Nothing beats socking in to read when it is really cold!

Have a great week finding you joys, no matter how small. Thery are always there if we just look for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

29 comments:

  1. We're just in our first season of Billions and it can be intense. I can imagine you're tired of Axe and Chuck. We're watching about 2 a week and hope no one else wants it before I return it to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finished it this morning and I am beyond thrilled. I am tired of all of them!

      Delete
  2. We can moan about the things we can't do, or take joy where we can find it. Today pup and I had a really good play in the snow. A light dusting covered old footprints and we stomped in the middle of the park looking like crazy parka lady and her dog making fresh ones, but I don't care. It felt good to be out without the biting wind of the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about taking joy where we find it! Glad you found some on a walk!

      Delete
  3. I'm in complete agreement - having an amazing sister is one of my ongoing joys! I feel so lucky. Joys for the week: that M fixed our espresso machine (I need caffeine), for an absolutely stunning day today, that our Meyer lemon tree is producing, & for the fun of watching high school soccer. I know these days are fleeting, so trying to enjoy them while I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my sister is maybe not the best sister in the entire world, but she is the best sister in the world for me. Bonus on getting the espresso machine fixed!
      The days with your sons at home are fleeting, and pass so much more quickly than you realize until you are looking in time's mirror.

      Delete
  4. I can tell you that we really found joy in getting things done and sitting inside while it rained and stormed outside! If I can convince Tommy to get rid of all his short and wide bookcases, maybe he can get a sofa in this room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would not have a sofa if we did not use it every day. TheHub goes from his recliner to the couch every evening.

      Delete
  5. Sounds wonderful actually, and I am so grateful I did not lose power either in my all electric house(s) ( or tenant houses actually.) I worked Tuesday through Thursday and since I am part time I had Friday off and came to Tuscaloosa small house. I just cook for middle son when he comes over and read . I made Lasgna which made him happy. I did run to Target for dog and cat food. Since it is under two minutes from my house that is an easy trip. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how it manages to change what I type….. or rather think…. Lol. I have a small work house in south Alabama and the future retirement house in Ttown. The tenants live in condos. I confuse everyone and myself… sigh. No one lost power and I am happy. about that. Cindy in the South .

      Delete
    2. With Blogger, who knows?
      Glad you did not lose power (or tenants either)

      Delete
  6. Having a wonderful sister is definitely a joy to be celebrated. For both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best gift my parents ever gave to me was a sister!

      Delete
  7. You are very fortunate to have the best sister in the world. I haven't spoken to mine since my Dad's funeral in 2008. When the estate wrapped up the year following and I sent off the cheque, I thought I might hear something back - nope, but she did cash it. Your sister sounds like a real joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I talk every day and see each other at least once a week. I am always sad to hear from people who have a fractured relationship with theirs.

      Delete
  8. "Glusome" is a great word! Still keeping a low profile down here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom used it all the time for days that she thought were gruesome covered in gloomy. According to her, if the day was glusome it meant to keep your butt and home and sock in for whatever it brings. (Never snow though because Southern snow is magical)

      Delete
  9. Sister's are the best, they make you pee laughing. This is why we made Slugs another sister or the third twin. She needs lots of laughs in her life and we can supply them. Picture of the new couch please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the best. Now only can she make me wet my pants, but she excels at making me snort coffee!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful sisters are a treasure. Celie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you managed to find those small joys, this week, too, Anne. I'm glad you got through the storm without losing power. And that your new couch was delivered. :) Hope you have another lovely week, ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes little joys are the only joys we can have. Things will change and then even if I have big joys I hope I can still celebrate the small ones.

      Delete
  12. What a joy to have such a wonderful relationship with your sister! :)

    And good slippers make a huge difference! I always have a pair on at home in the winter. I'm still wearing the same pair I bought probably ten or eleven years ago. They're still going strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing I would not do for her and nothing she would not do for me.
      The new slippers are perfect for the cold weather we have been having, though as soon as possible I am sure I will be back in flip flops when I am in the house.

      Delete
  13. I think it's only when you lose electricity that you realize just how much we depend on it isn't it. Glad you were ok though. But there is actually something very nice about bad weather and having nowhere to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not like some of our neighbors and do not have whole house generators that start when the power goes out. They must be on a five minute delay because about 5 minutes after an outage I can hear them kick on.
      The other night I heard transformers blow, then after a bit of a delay I could hear them all over the neighborhood. I almost felt guilty sitting here with my lights and heater functioning.

      Delete
  14. This is the first I've heard of Billions. A couple of days ago at work I spoke to someone in your area who said it was cold. We're having freezing temps most nights. It's so nice to stay in when it's cold.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that you have had some wild weather there! I usually like the opportunity to watch tv or whatever other lazy thing grabs me.
    I have a great sister but she is too distracted for family. Someday she will realise

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.