Translate

Monday, January 10, 2022

Leftovers Again

This week was a pretty uneventful week so it was pretty easy to go ahead and commit to cooking. It did save money since I had to buy very little for the week. However the downside (or upside depending on your point of view) is I cooked too much and we have. boatload of leftovers___again. Planning for the week just meant looking in the fridge and seeing what was left that needed to be used. Lots! 



This was what was planned for last week
1. Tazikis copycat lemon chicken soup,  cuke tomato and onion salad, toast
2. Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
3. Collard soup, cornbread
4. Slutty Vegan copycat burger, "fried" pickles, blackberry mayo sauce
5. The Best lentil soup, tossed salad, rolls
6. take out
7. Spaghetti and meatballs, tossed salad

And this is how the week played out:
Monday: I used the chicken bone broth that had been simmering  in the crock pot for a couple of days. (Leftovers mostly eaten for lunches)
Taziki's copy cat lemon chicken soup

Tuesday: This did not use any leftovers, but I had all the fixings in the fridge or freezer, so no additional purchases were required. TheHub did not want cornbread, but chose the corn chips instead. We had those from one of his recreational shopping trips. (Lots of leftovers)
Chili, coleslaw, corn chips 

Wednesday: I had a ton of collard green and black eyed peas left from our NYD meal, plus I still had a good bit of bone broth and a small bag of cooked frozen cajun sausage in the freezer. (lots of leftover soup)
Collard green soup, cornbread

Thursday: I had meatballs in the freezer, and a jar of Rao's marinara in the pantry. I only used 1/2 jar of Rao's  so it has to be used this week somehow)
Spaghetti and meatballs, salad

Friday: I ran to Aldi to stock up on some things like toilet paper, and a couple of other things we use regularly. They had a package of marked down stew meat, and I had a bunch of produce in the refrigerator. 
Beef stew, coleslaw, dinner rolls

Saturday: We had spent the day doing some running around and found a new to us place where we ate lunch. There was no way I was going to cook, so dinner was every man for himself)
 Bits and pieces of leftovers

Sunday: This was the only meal I planned that I knew would require purchasing ingredients I do not normally keep on hand. The Slutty Vegan is supposed to be opening a restaurant in town this year, and Publix had Impossible Burger BOGO this week. I thought I would try it and see if it is somewhere we might want to go once it is opened. (Their burgers there are too expensive to try if we didn't like the meat alternative.) We will be going!
Slutty Vegan copycat burger

And since we had so much leftover from last week, the meals this week are not what we really want, but it is what we are eating anyway! The only exception might be the collard greens soup and I may decide to freeze it.

Meals for the week in no particular order
1. Leftover Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
2. Leftover beef stew over noodles, tossed salad
3. Leftover collard green soup, cornbread or rolls or Orange ginger chicken, rice, broccoli
4. Chicken roll-ups, broccoli, something else but undecided right now (leftover dry stuffing)
5. Chicken parm over spaghetti, tossed salad (using leftover marinara)
6. Ball game meal: heavy apps (Have tons frozen)
7. Egg-roll in a bowl (everything is on hand but al least it's not leftovers)

Have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!

25 comments:

  1. The one "new" meal on the menu this week is a crockpot chicken tikka masala. Aside from that, we need to eat things from the freezer, which is so fully you can barely shut it! A friend dropped off a gift of two bags of gyozas, which really pushed us over our already full freezer limits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I need to stay out of the grocery store and use the freezer and pantry as my "store".

      Delete
  2. I always overcook, and then I usually like the leftovers, but there is still bean soup in the fridge. Thank goodness for chickens as nothing really goes to waste here. But why do I always have to cook for a threshing crew? But I would love to eat at your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to eat at my house. Maybe the three sisters can visit? I have lots of room ( and doors)

      Delete
  3. Loved the DC5! We're not planners; don't usually enjoy the same things -- my game fare's likely to be Baconets and Palmetto pimento cheese (w. jalapeno).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat Palmetto pimento cheese unless you make it yourself!

      Delete
  4. Leftover soups/stews are the best. I think they taste better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do too! The flavors marry while they hang out in the fridge.

      Delete
  5. My head is so full of snot, I don't remember what I typed yesterday for dinner today. I have a large cooked chicken breast- maybe I'll make something with it and stuffing- not part if the plan, but throw in a dish and bake then go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! When you feel poorly all kitchen bets are off. Hope you feel better!

      Delete
  6. I just recently tried Rao's marinara sauce upon the recommendation of my son. We will be getting it again even though it's more expensive than some others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use it as a base and still season it and add all kinds of things to it, but it is great and has no added sugar.

      Delete
  7. We have a few leftovers in the fridge that we will be using for meals, this week. Daughter prepared some taco meat for taco salads and I browned the rest of the ground beef, but, haven't decided if I'll turn it into spaghetti sauce or a keema curry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have browned ground beef in the freezer. The way your foods always look, I would vote for curry!

      Delete
  8. Chili was on the menu for us this week too. We ate at least half of it, the rest is in the freezer for next week.
    Just waiting for the Alabama game to air. I'm sure you're watching and have your appetizers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched and ate apps. Didn't care for the final score but Roll Tide!

      Delete
  9. I love leftovers! I cook planned overs so I don't have to cook as often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I plan for leftovers, but I am covered with them right now and really want something different !

      Delete
  10. Leftovers are GOOD. It is hot and sticky here and cooking is not appealing. We have also had workmen in the house and by the time they leave I want something quick and easy. Fortunately himself had a birthday. Covid is surging here so we didn't go out to dinner, but ordered Turkish food for home delivery. It was delicious, and neither of us are eating much at the moment (the hot and sticky thing). The left overs will do us for a few days yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yum! I love Turkish foods and I know it was delicious. Might not be quite as good on a hot sticky day!

      Delete
  11. I love leftovers when it means food that I had heat up in the microwave and have for lunch. But when it means leftover ingredients that need to be turned into something new, that is an ongoing puzzle that always needs solving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying so hard to have little to no food waste and it means I am having to restructure several things. I don't mind doing it but it is just not something I really want to eat right now.

      Delete
  12. Leftovers are so delicious. I need to cook some big meals so we can have leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to not know how to cook for just two and even trying not it I wind up cooking for a small tribe.

      Delete
  13. I always use my leftover Rao's as pizza sauce for homemade pizza

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.