Translate

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Week 2 Joys

The second week of 2022 is over and here it was another week of large covid numbers. As is my usual when things are like this I mostly stay at home unless there is something I absolutely must do. Therefore there are no large joys here. And since I vowed to do better this year, I figured if I was stuck at home I might as well try and be somewhat productive. I have been in sloth mode too long!


 Saturday: TheHub and I woke and finished a few odd jobs before getting dressed and heading to my favorite furniture store. I cannot remember when we bought our den sofa, but it was probably about 6 years before Son3 was born. He is now 27 so, doing the math, it is an old couch. I had it re-covered twice, and knew I would either have to do it myself ,have it done again, or bite the bullet and buy a new one. After looking at fabric and getting an estimate to have all the springs re-tied, new batting, down, and foam, not to mention the actual labor cost we decided it was time to go furniture looking so we could make the best decision . 
The store was getting rid of their 2021 stock to make room for the 2022 items so I was able to buy a brand new sofa, for about 100 bucks more than re-doing the old one. I did buy one they have in the warehouse, so it will be delivered brand new ( not the showroom model). 
As we were leaving we crossed the street and noticed a small joint called Gus' Famous Fried Chicken. It was not terribly famous since neither of us had heard of it before, but the smell from outside was like a sirens call and it drew us in. We walked through the door and there were about 5 tables with diners which we took as a sign that it would be a decent choice. 
Obviously we are tragically unhip and out of the loop, because before our order came every table was full. (Thankfully they are still spacing the tables several feet apart). It was some of the best fried chicken I have ever eaten, and they claim their pie is ever better. We will have to find out another time, but we will be going back.
An episode of Billions and a FaceTime with Pip, who wanted to show me her new skis, finished the day.

Sunday: The day was as dreary as Saturday was gorgeous. TheHub and I had done all of our running around Saturday, anticipating the thunderstorms and rain. We are still watching our church services online and I was having a relax in my pajamas type of morning. I heard TheHub say something to someone and I got caught. Son2 and DIL2 came by on their way to purchase some instrument string. Son3 had told them they could have a music stand he no longer needed so they were going to grab it while they were on this side of town. I did excuse myself to my room to throw on some clothes. Loved seeing them but hated getting caught in my flannels!

Monday: Monday was the day of the NCAA national football championship game.  We settled in to watch a mostly boring game which Georgia won.  Congrats to all the Dawg fans, and Roll Tide Roll!

Tuesday:: It was a drop dead gorgeous kind of a day.  I had some errands to run, and pulled into my driveway  right as my neighbor was walking out. We had a very nice visit and made plans to get together for dinner in the next few days. Later that night we watched Billions, then I read until I fell asleep.

Wednesday: I had lots and lots of housework. I decided a deep cleaning was due, so I launched an attack. Finally, the laundry room is very  clean and Pip's former bedroom has turned into a craft room for DIL3. I also got the large cedar closet cleaned ( no small task). I felt pretty scuzzy from all the cleaning and took a long shower after we ate but before watching Billions. I found some lavender lotion which not only provided much needed moisture to my skin, but the scent made it so easy to turn my mind off when it was bedtime.

Thursday: Once the cedar closet was cleaned, all the Christmas decor that had been taken upstairs and just left hanging out  was packed into containers, and stored for next year's holiday season. I had a FaceTime call with Pip which is always a joy!
Oh, and another episode of Billions!

Friday: Another beautiful day.! I woke and was having my morning coffee at the kitchen table while I looked out the window. I was very surprised to see prints on the pool cover going from one side to the other. I am not sure who our overnight visitor was but it was definitely bigger than a squirrel, but was not a raccoon print.  Game camera maybe? 
In the afternoon I had a quick phone call/laugh with Sluggy which always makes me happy!
Date night consisted of eating leftovers and watching two episodes of Billions.

So I guess my week was spent trying to avoid contact with others, since our Covid numbers are raging right now. Gotta find your happy where you can find it! So look for your joys, even small joys are worth reflection.

May all your weeds be wildflowers!
Anne











27 comments:

  1. You have more decorum than I do- I'd have probably stayed in my flannels on an icky Sunday. It sounds like a nice week. You have me curious about the visitor in your pool cover. Hedgehog? Possum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing it was most likely a possum judging from the size and closeness of the prints, but we have also had armadillos, raccoons, and a groundhog not to mention the usual squirrels, chipmunks, shrews, rabbits and the occasional long tailed rodent (we are pretty sure the house next door which was vacant for a couple of years might have been rodent infested)

      Delete
  2. When the delivery man woke me, I stayed in my nightgown, but they were here less than 5 minutes. If people were staying, I would change. Baby raccoons and teenage raccoons wander, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never let anyone in the house unless I am dressed and I usually dress before even leaving my bedroom in the morning

      Delete
  3. Hooray for joys. All of them.
    I find a lot of mine in beauty. And I often need those joys too if I am to keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look for the joy everyday to keep me happy.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you were able to buy a new sofa which they had in their warehouse! Over here, people are being told that furniture is on back order due to supply chain issues! I wanted to order a new sofa set for the living room and they were out of stock! There was something about it on the news, too, a couple of days ago, with customers being told to expect a 6 months delay before the furniture they bought that day could be delivered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would like to have ordered a couch and picked out the fabric to have it custom made, but the soonest they could guarantee it was 8 months. I could have waited that long but the fabric I chose was not that much different from the one they had in stock and the one I bought also has 8 way tied springs, which was a critical choice for my purchase.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a really nice week even though you were home most of the time. The chicken sounds delicious. We have all of our Christmas stuff put away as well. It was time. I hope you have a terrific Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be home nearly all the time now! But they (whoever they are) seem to think the current covid rise will peak in a couple of weeks than slow down considerably.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great week filled with joys. Reading your joys makes me feel good. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look for the joys each week instead of concentrating on what is wrong.

      Delete
  7. You made a craft room for DL3. Are they visiting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they just got back to NY from Sweden, but she loves to craft and I have a lot of room in the house. I figure I might as well have it comfortable for her since they have extended stays sometimes.

      Delete
  8. Eating in a restaurant (even with the world's best fried chicken) is still on our list of covid no-nos. We aren't even eating in with friends. It's bad here. We hope it clears up soon. I'm impressed at all your housecleaning.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will eat in a restaurant occasionally as long as the tables are far apart. This was became more crowded than I was comfortable with.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like another great week to me! The Covid numbers in our area are breaking all kinds of record highs. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I want everyone to stay safe out there! I am still amazed at how many people are out and about everywhere.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a really nice week. I just go to work ( we still have some in person court but we do virtual when possible) wear masks, use sanitizer, socially distance, then go to grocery store, or gas station, and go home. I go nowhere else. I have been around too many vaccinated folks in court system, who wear masks, who have gotten this round of Covid and felt terrible. It may be less deadly, but it has made some vaccinated folks needing the antibodies treatment. So I am kinda terrified of it. You are smart to stay at home. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I am smart or not, but I stick really close to home!

      Delete
  11. Discovering a new restaurant is always a treat, isn't it! And I had to laugh at you getting caught out in your jimjams! My kids flew to the US pre-pandemic to surprise grandma. Only thing is, while she was delighted to see them she was in a pretty see-through nightie and was absolutely mortified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately no one is ever going to catch me in a pretty nighty (see though or otherwise)

      Delete
  12. I hear you on the raging cases, numbers are climbing here too. Definitely not a joy.

    Enjoy your virtual visits with Pip. Eli still doesn't quite get it, so I often find myself face down on the couch or on the floor when he decides to walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it now that Pip can call us without her parents help. Yesterday she FaceTimed us in her brownie uniform and told us all about her cookie sale. I told Son1 I would buy cookies and he could just give them to a food bank.

      Delete
  13. Pajama days are wonderful indulgences! ... I'm doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not like to stay in my pajamas and am much more comfortable dressed (even if it is just in leggings and a sweatshirt)

      Delete
  14. How exciting getting a new sofa! Wow, you have been busy. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.