Translate

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Pretty Darn Close To The Real Thing

 There is a restaurant that began locally after Keith and Amy Richards spent some time in Greece. Keith had been in the restaurant business here prior to the trip and soaked in the food and food preps there. When they returned they opened a small (very small) restaurant in Birmingham. Taziki's Mediterranean  was a huge hit and soon they opened opened another, and another, and another, and finally partnered with a restaurant group to begin franchising. Now you can find locations all over Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee,  and in select cities in Mississippi, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Colorado, Ohio, Indiana and Idaho. (If I left a state out I am sorry)

We have been going there since they first opened the tiny place and still go at least every other month. Though I would not say the food is the most delicious in town, but if you are considering the price, taste, food quality, and value it is one of the best restaurants around. (I can't say that with certainty about the franchises, because I go to the ones still originally owned )

I am not a creature of habit and will try something new there nearly all the time, unless I am eating lunch and then I always get a 1/2 soup, 1/2 salad plate. Their Greek lemon chicken soup is my all time favorite restaurant soup, and I have tried to recreate the broth for a long time. This is as close as I can come without knowing all of their secrets. But trust me it is delicious and unless I was eating both mine and theirs at the same time I could not tell the difference


I think learning this dance (knee permitting) will be the new thing I learn this month

                                   Almost like Taziki's Greek Lemon Chicken Soup




2 cups shredded chicken (I use leg quarters because I make my own broth and dark meat creates a richer        broth)*

1 1/2 quart chicken broth

1 large carrot (should be shredded to be like the restaurant but I cut mine into thin "coins")

1- 1 1/2  teaspoon finely chopped dried rosemary (matter of taste here, I use the heavier amount)

1 teaspoon Greek seasoning (I use Cavander's. It has salt and I am not a fan of much salt so I do not add more,)

1/2 -3/4 cup fresh lemon juice 

Cooked basamati rice to go in the bottom of each bowl (about 1/2 cup per serving. If using leftover rice make sure it is hot)

Toss everything into a soup pot except for the lemon juice and the cooked rice. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Ladle into bowls holding hot rice and serve it immediately. 

This makes enough for 4 big bowls of soup (plus a couple of lunch size cups of soup) and is perfect for these cooler nights 

*I make my broth by tossing about 8 leg/thigh quarters into a big pot of water with a little salt, a carrot, and a couple of celery ribs. When the chicken is cooked through I remove it, take it off the bone and refrigerate part of it, freeze the rest then chunk the bones back in the pot. I cook it on high for about 20 minutes, then transfer it, bones and all, to my largest crock pot, add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and cook it on low for almost 2 days. So technically I make bone broth, but any chicken stock will do, including any bought broth.

p.s. Do not combine the leftover rice and soup in the same container. The rice gets a little gummy and the broth gets cloudy.(See picture above) Though, if I speak the truth, I probably will combine them because when I am eating warmed up soup I don't really care about the aesthetics and softer rice does not really bother me plus storage space in the fridge is always a premium here.

26 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! I don't think I've ever had Greek lemon chicken soup! But, might try making it, one of these days. Loved the video of the dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good Bless! I love the dance too. One day I would love to be someplace when a flash dance or song started.

      Delete
  2. I made a copycat recipe today and was thrilled it was just right. Since it has been decades I ate it, it was fine, I think...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure if I were eating the soup side by side with theirs it would not taste exactly the same, but it is very close. I have made it several times before and it was not quite right. This time instead of salt and pepper I used Cavander's and it made a huge difference.

      Delete
  3. I do hope that you can add that dance to your repertoire.
    Lemon chicken soup is new to me. Sadly it wouldn't go down well here. Himself is reluctant to eat ANY soup and my vegie self would reject this one. I will mention it to the wider family though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to say I am pretty sure there is no veggie version of this out there, however after a little investigation it turns out there is a vegan alternative using chickpeas, nutritional yeast, and veggie broth.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy learning the dance! I have two left feet and even one of the crossovers would have me flat on my face. I tried to learn to grapevine for line dancing and that's exactly what happened. It's a talent I wish I had.

    The soup sounds lovely. We had a Greek restaurant that sold lemon rice soup, but I don't recall whether it had meat in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most traditional Greek lemon chicken soup is avgolemono but it is made with a lemon/egg sauce. It is also delicious but is much richer and is a creamy soup.

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy Greek/Mediterranean flavors. There is not much in Minnesota and nothing in our town. this sound really tasty. I almost always store leftover rice separate than the topping/sauce. I don't like my husband cleaning up as he'll bung everything in one Tupperware instead of keeping components sperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fairly large Greek community here and a lot of them are active in the restaurant industry, so it is pretty easy to get Greek food.
      Normally I put things in different containers but I was short on refrigerator space. Never again!

      Delete
  6. I've not enjoyed good Greek cuisine since I lived in Tarpon Springs, but this soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have eaten at a couple of places in Tarpon Springs and it was delicious!

      Delete
  7. Avgolemono used to be my favorite Greek restaurant dish, and I'm sure I would still like it (loving anything lemon) but all the Greek restaurants around here declined in quality until I stopped ever going for Greek food. Of course for the moment I am avoiding eating in restaurants again, waiting for this new covid wave to be over.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just started going back to restaurants (only if they had spaced seating and were not crowded) and now that is over!

      Delete
  8. That recipe looks delicious. Will have to give it a go. Oh and I remember dancing that dance (it's a sirtaki) in Greece after goodness knows how many glasses of white wine. Talk about a sweaty mess (but it was great fun)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my left knee will cooperate or at least allow me to do a modified version of it!

      Delete
  9. Cuts down on the washing up too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun! I would love to see a flash dance.
    Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious. It looks like there is a Taziki's restaurant 2-3 hours away from me, so I will have to be content with your greek lemon chicken soup recipe. We do have a yummy gyro/souvlaki restaurant, but it caters more to the college kids in town so no soups on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be on the perimeter of a flash mob.
      The soup really is good.

      Delete
    2. We really enjoyed the soup! My husband ate 3 bowls :)

      Delete
  11. Yum, will have to try this, I loved chicken and rice soup as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little different than traditional chicken and rice soup but so, so good!

      Delete
  12. The restaurant sounds very nice. I went to a place similar to that a few years ago and I enjoyed the food. Way to go on making the soup. It sounds delicious. Good luck on the dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup is really good, but my knee is yelling about the dance!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.