Translate

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Unofficial Summertime Joys

I live in the south and our summer does not pay any attention at all to the solstice so summer begins much earlier than the official summer. It lasts a lot longer too!
This year summer arrived on Saturday which coincided with the first day of the eighteenth week of the year. 
The 18th week of the year is now in the books, and with it took all sweaters, hoodies, and socks. Now it is seriously shorts and flip flops weather, at least for around the house  wearing weather.


 Saturday: I woke to a message that one of our friends had departed this realm last night. The Divine Ms. E will be greatly missed.
TheHub and I went to the annual plant sale at Aldridge Gardens. They always have such gorgeous plants in a spectacular setting. We pickup up some plants (too many) and while I was there I ran into an old high school friend I had not seen since I was 17. It was nice catching up with him.
After a quick stop at the grocery store, TheHub and I ran by Jacks to pick up lunch, then came home. I had some research I had to do while he messed with the various devices we have for music delivery.
It was supposed to rain and did threaten to storm a time or two but nothing came of it, so we were able to grill our dinner, and have some porch sitting time.  Nice!

Sunday: TheHub and I returned to Sunday school for the first time in two years. It was wonderful to be back live and in person.
After church we hustled home to get ready for the rest of the day. We have season tickets to our local traveling Broadway production and went to the matinee showing of "An Officer and A Gentleman"  I don't have to ever see it again, but it was enjoyable. I personally would not call it a musical as much as it was a play with music, specifically 80's hits that kind of, sort of "fit" the story line.
Son2 and DIL2 also have tickets at the same time and agreed to have dinner with us at a local place, The Purple Onion.
After dinner we came home to do some rockin' out. .I was in the rocking chair on the porch so that counts, right?

Monday: My Beloved Sister, my cousin S and her husband P went to Decatur to meet my Uncle Bob, his son R, another cousin S, and her husband D. We met at Bob Gibson's BBQ  which was a great and delicious place to eat, plus it is on the list of 100 places you must eat in Alabama. Another one crossed off the list!
We had a great time eating, laughing and staying way too long before heading back to Birmingham. Even the car ride was fun sharing funny tales that happened to us both long ago and recent funny events.
My sister and I had to do a little banking when we got back to town, and of course after a road trip and banking the only thing left to complete the trip is chocolate, right?
We came into my house to eat our brownie and as MBS was leaving to go home my neighbor from across the street came out to tell us about a police chase that literally ended in my driveway. It was the first neighborhood excitement since over 25 years ago when a couple of hot air balloons missed the golf course below us and landed in the street, and I was not at home to see it!
 (A neighbor took this photo but it was after 2 police cars,  EMT and fire truck left)

Because I had taken a road trip and got home about the same time TheHub did we decided to just grab something for dinner. I was not hungry because of the afore mentioned chocolate though I blamed it on the huge salad at lunch.
We decided to go to a fast food place and actually eat inside. They offer mushroom burgers, so I ate the mushroom and grilled onions leaving the bun. After leaving there TheHub decided he wanted some ice cream and we drove to a local shop to get some. Yes I will confess the Graham Central Station screamed at me and I did get a scoop in a cup, while TheHub got his favorite, Peanut Butter Sundae.
It was dark when we returned to the house, and as I was waddling walking to the door I saw the first lightning bug ( a firefly to those not from the south) of the season.

Tuesday: There was nothing remotely exciting about the day but it was a lovely day to hang a load of clothes to dry since the repairman has not been here to look at the dryer yet. It was also possibly a good day to sit on the deck and read!

Wednesday: This was my most blessed day of the week. I was able to volunteer at Independence Place and see some of my favorite people! 
Son2 is prepping for a play they will perform in February. It might seem like a long time out for most of you, but if he can have all the staging, sets, and costumes made far in advance, he can concentrate time with the participants learning their lines, songs, and stage placement. 
Wednesday we painted a zebra, three gazelles, and a cheetah, as well as making lions manes for masks. We got all of the hardscape for the stage cut out to be painted, and the backdrop at least planned. His goal is to have it all finished by the end of the summer, so they will have from September- January to work on the dialogue, while continuing to do their regular daily routines.
TheHub got home for work as I was pulling in from volunteering. Did I cook? Nope we ran b y a nearby meat and three to grab our veggie dinner.

Thursday: I stayed home all day waiting for the dryer repairman. He was a no show and I would like to say that I got all kinds of things done. Instead I worked the great migration where summer duds leave their winter storage, and winter clothes return upstairs to rest until fall. 
We are having summer weather so it was not done one day too soon. Things are put away clean, nice, and tidy, but most of my summer clothes are 100% cotton, which means they need to be ironed. I am so glad I learned to hang them in the closet wrinkled, then iron on demand or I would have spent the entire day standing in the laundry room.
It was Cinco de Mayo and we intended to go pick up something from Taco Bell. (And yes, we knew it was a lame "celebration") When we got to the speaker to order (after about a 20 minute wait) we were told their system was down and they could take no more orders. Would have been nice to know that before the wait.
So instead of Taco Bell, we drove about a couple of blocks to a food truck we had never been to before. We waited for about 5 minutes, then had a bag of deliciousness to bring home. I am so glad Taco Bell was a bust!

Friday: Nothing much happened during the day except more laundry to hang while waiting for the dryer repairman. I did start a new book that took a bit for me to get interested in but by the time I was about halfway through, I decided I really did like it.
TheHub came home from work and we went to our new neighborhood joint for dinner. As much as I hate to admit it one of my biggest joys for the week was either eating out or doing take out 5 times during the week. The bonus was I only had to run the dishwasher one time!

Whatever you do, look for the joys you find this week. They are always out there, no matter how small.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne

18 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. It otherwise sounded like an excellent week. Hooray for being able to get back to volunteering, to Sunday School and to places to eat...
    I would have been sorry to miss the balloons though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good week and I will miss "E". She had a knack for being a bright spot on a dreary day.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your loss, As we age this becomes more of a common thing. I would have loved to have helped with sons show. I love all of that kind of stuff. Especially costuming. How exciting to be the end of a high speed The last time I had a dryer repaired, I had to get down on my stomach on the floor and show the young repairman how to wind the belt to fix the machine. I don't think Sears had trained him as well as they should have. As I fixed the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have lost several friend over the past two years.
      I love helping with the costuming and stage design. Because some of the participants have reading issues there has to be a lot of time devoted to just learning lines.

      Delete
  3. What a week! We don't do it so often anymore but eating 'out' (or carrying in) are my favorite hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Big Bob Gibson’s’ sun Decatur. I love to put the bbq white sauce on chicken and on potato chips! I grew up going there on Sunday’s after church. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good. I make our white sauce and it tastes very much like Big Bob's

      Delete
  5. Exciting week for you. I am glad the chase did not resuly in tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss too. I was having blogger issues and my comment was clipped short.

      Delete
  6. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Other than that, it sounds like it was a very good week, complete with a police chase ending in your driveway (even though you missed it!) Love the fact that you are able to go out and about, again. Our Covid numbers are on the rise, again, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ours will probably go up again so I am enjoying this time right now!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely week, Anne. I enjoyed reading it. Such excitement in your neighborhood. It’s odd how it seems like the entire neighborhood will come out to watch things like that. When I was growing up a semi truck Jack knifed into our little grocery store. The whole neighborhood showed up to watch the excitement. I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was funny is other than my immediate neighbors who knew I was not at home, some of the others had called and left messages thinking something had happened to me.

      Delete
  8. Except for the loss of your friend, it sounds like a lovely week. I especially like the no cooking and no washing dishes part. Happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but what a treat to see the first lightning bug. I look forward to that every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the lightning bugs and now we are hearing the frogs that are courting

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.