Translate

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Tuesday 4

This week  Annie's Tuesday 4 questions are about our favorite book.


1. What book or novel did you like the most or which do you wish to discuss?
Hands down, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

2. If you were making a movie of your favorite book who would you cast in the parts? 
I have mentally been casting this for a movie since I first read it either inn 1978 or 1979. Now the people I thought would be great as Ignatius are either departed or too old for the role. This is my list for casting in 2022
Josh Gad, Ignatius J Riley
Keith Powers,  Burma Jones
Sissy Spacek, Irene Riley
John Hawkes, Officer Mancuso
Mary Kay Place, Miss Trixie
Willa Holland, Myrna Minkoff

3. Did the author of your favorite book/story write anything else? Have you read them?
The book was published after his death.

4. If you had to create a playlist of music for the book, which songs would you choose?
The book is set in New Orleans in 1963, so_____
Big Chief, Professor Longhair(Opening scene as you pan down the street to spot a slovenly man with potato chip crumbs in his bushy mustache wearing a flannel shirt, overly large tweed trousers, a muffler and a green hunting cap standing beneath the clock at D.H. Holmes department store)
Basin Street Blues, Duke Ellington  (heard in the Night of Joy strip club)
Tipatina, Professor Longhair
All Shook Up (Levy Pants debacle)
Go to the Mardi Gras, Professor Longhair 
Fingertips, Stevie Wonder (During the most chaotic scene on the book)
In Dreams, Roy Orbison 
Blowin in the Wind, Peter Paul and Mary (Myrna)
Cast Your Fate to the Winds, Vince Guaraldi (This is what I would have playing at the very end scene and over the credits)

Secretly my chosen career would be finding music to go with films






Come on and play along!

24 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this book, but it sounds intriguing. So glad I'm not the only one who reads every book with an eye to casting: Sometimes I'll choose a known actor; more often, someone I once worked with or knew from church/school, etc.
    Crossing fingers this goes through; yesterday's comment seems to have evaporated -- blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tragic comedy and is probably not for everyone. I think it has some of the best character development I have ever come across. I have literally been mentally casting this book since I first read it. Unfortunately the actor I think would have been perfect for the part is Oliver Platt who is too old for the role

      Delete
  2. There are too many favorite books in my life. My mind cannot even think about this...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By definition of favorite I only have one, though I do like many other books. I have lost track of how many times I have read Confederacy (well over 20), but so many that it is definitely the favorite

      Delete
  3. Sissie Spacek and Mary Kay Place need to be back in films. Both are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both very talented and will play interesting characters rather than the "pretty gals"

      Delete
  4. I love that book - and need to reread it.
    I am not a movie goer, so it never occurs to me to 'cast the characters'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to reread it this summer because it has been a couple of years!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read that book but I like the cast you picked. I really like Josh Gad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Josh Gad is the closest to the physical description, plus he is a talented comedic actor.

      Delete
  6. Your playlist just put me in the mood for red beans and rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking of Cajun food since posting this!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read the book you listed, but, I know you've mentioned it before. I don't know if I have a favorite book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my all time favorite, not so much for the story line (which is quite dated) but for the characters.

      Delete
  8. That book is a favorite of mine, also. I read it while I was living in New Orleans, so it took on a new meaning. It was fun to see how you would cast it and what music you would play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you read it while living in New Orleans. I have had C.O.D. themed dinners before with "Lucky Dogs" and wine cake

      Delete
  9. You've mentioned this book before, and I said -- and will say again! -- I've never read it. And want to. Really must put it on my list . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novels story line is dated so you really have to set your mind in the early 60's to enjoy it. I think it was overwritten, but the characters are so compelling I have always been willing to forgive it. (Unlike my disdain for Tom Wolfe, who not only overwrote everything but had story lines he devoted incredible space that never went anywhere and had nothing to do with the story's arc.)

      Delete
  10. I am thinking of so many books and the characters I cast are always my grandchildren:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only cast my granddaughter in little short stories I write for her

      Delete
  11. I’ve not read this book. I need to add it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great, thought out answers. I haven't heard of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been my favorite since I first read it. I try and read it once a year, but some years I just read parts of it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.