Translate

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Water Play is the Best Play

TheHub is going non-stop at work right now, so nearly all entertainment has to be something I choose to do mainly by myself. It is hot and steamy, but I have books to read, sunny days, a pool. If I want to go anywhere I certainly can, and do not mind doing things by myself, but most likely I will wait until the weather cools off a little before looking any further for self amusement.
Also this week we had a birthday to celebrate, so there was that!



Saturday: TheHub worked from home early Saturday morning and I went on a few of our usual Saturday morning errands (mainly hitting the produce stand). After that we headed across town and met Son2, DIL2 and TGS. They were looking at a house and then we met at Metro Diner for a birthday lunch celebration. We also celebrated a new member of the family.
I have mentioned before that Son2 works at a non-profit for differently abled adults. Long story short, one of the participants will be living with Son2 and DIL2 for the next 7 or 8 months. He is a charming young man whose family is moving to Little Rock, but he wants to stay in Birmingham through the winter to be in a play they are performing. 
Son2 and DIL2 volunteered to have him live with them for however long it takes. So from here on, out we told him he will be our temporary grandson (or TGS as I will refer to him from now on) and welcomed him to the family. 
I've known TGS for several years after volunteering at Independence Place, and even though TheHub had met him, he had never really gotten to know him before Saturday. He agrees with everyone else that TGS is one of the most charming and adorable folks you could ever hope to meet.

Sunday: Nothing much happened on Sunday. TheHub had to do a few things work wise so he headed to the office and I decided it was a good day to do some heavy duty food prep for the week. I should have gone swimming but I didn't, and the world continued to spin on its axis.
I read instead of exercising but that suited me just fine, more than fine in fact!
After a quick dinner, we watched a movie, but enough time passed between watching it and writing this post that I honestly can't remember what the title was. It did have Ryan Gosling and Billy Bob Thornton in it and I am sure I could look it up, but I am just not going to do it. It was a thriller and totally unbelievable, but was still a fun to watch.

Monday: The day was a little disappointing. Every morning I look at the hourly weather report for the day to plan my swim time. I am fine swimming in the rain, but generally during the summertime when it rains we also have lightning and I am not fine swimming with that. Thunderstorms were predicted for the early morning with a break until about 3, then they were supposed to resume again. I had several things around the house I needed to get done, and decided to swim at about 1.  I had only been swimming for about 30 minutes when the sky darkened and I heard thunder, so I got out, came in and changed. About 5 drops of rain fell and I should have gone back out to finish my swim but I didn't. Oh well.

Tuesday: This was a normal day, laundry, cleaning etc. until my beloved sister came over. We had some laughs and a long swim. 

Wednesday:  The biggest joy of the day was a phone call with Sluggy. And no, I did not keep her from doing her sorting and packing. Later in the afternoon the pool called to me. I had another hour +swim.
TheHub called right as I was getting out of the shower and wanted to go somewhere to break up the week. I am lucky that he likes to go shopping since I needed a few things. He wanted to go to Walmart's Everyday Market first for a couple of items before getting into the crowds at Costco. On our way home we stopped at Chipotle for a quick to-go meal. 

Thursday:  Wednesday's swim kicked my butt so Thursday was a no swim day for me. I am not sure what I did other than routine chores and reading. Plus I was in a foul mood, with no reason to be foul. I am blaming it on the stupid groundhog who has successfully eaten just about everything we have grown. (Except peppers. He seems to be pepper averse, whether they are sweet or hot)

Friday: After doing a few quick chores it was back in the pool. I swam about an hour and a half then got out and soaked in the jacuzzi for about 30 minutes. We do have the heat turned down so it is a tad cooler than body temperature, but even with tepid water the massage seat is a pretty good remedy to keep soreness from setting in.(Extreme joy!)
Though I already had dinner ready when he got home from work TheHub still wanted to go out____anywhere. 
We ate then rode around a bit and looked out at the butterscotch colored sky. (it was after the official sunset, but the sky was still gorgeous). As a treat we went to the Mexican bakery to get him something as an after dinner dessert/snack.

Look for your joys, large or small they are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers!
Anne

 



24 comments:

  1. Try this--blend really hot peppers in hot water, let sit over night, strain, put in spray bottle with a bit of Dawn and cooking oil, about a Tbsp of each. Spray all food plants with this concoction. Maybe it will be repelled. Of course, you have to do this after rain. I think I might spray the ground, too.

    I wondered who TGS was. I thought I missed something. That is a generous offer to host him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I entered a reply and am not sure where it went. We have been spraying all around the places we see him and the plants and it seems to matter not a whit to him.

      Delete
  2. I have decided varmints are just something we bond with or tolerate in the south. They devour gardens! I seem to have an abundance of hideous roaches in my work house in south Alabama but it is on flat swampy land so that is to be expected. I worked, which seems to be the only place I am productive because we have air conditioning there… lol. I also happily worked overtime because of the air conditioning. Otherwise, I am a sloth in the heat. I ate a lot of sandwiches. I managed to get in hour long walks on weekend at Snow Hinton and River Walk. These walks were at 7 in the morning bc it is too hot otherwise. I am not going anywhere I don’t have to in this heat. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about tolerating them. The chipmunks and I have peacefully cohabitated for years, though I do have a neighborhood ally. Grey Greg, my neighbors cat, is a successful hunter and he keeps their numbers down a bit. The groundhog is totally different. He is large enough to eat just about any and everything he wants.
      Today when we went out and about the air was so hot and thick with moisture (of course there was no rain) it was truly hard to breathe.

      Delete
  3. Son2 and DIL2 are so kind and generous. I wish I could swim :-//

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both love people deeply. You can swim, you just don't know you can.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely joy-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May you next week be filled with swimming before it storms and good times with your TGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are in the middle of afternoon thunderstorm season and if I don't get it done early I wind up having to dodge storms.

      Delete
  6. TGS makes me think of my friends son who everyone just loves. He is always with a smile, and the community has adopted him as a nephew, cousin, brother. He's regularly with his siblings out and about who's friends just love him too. He will say, I'm the big brother which by age is true. Your son and DIL are good people. That's caring. You keep putting me to shame with your endurance swims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGS is one of the most upbeat and charming people I have ever been around. He has one saying I love. Instead of saying he dislikes something he says "I am not really fond of ___" What a great way of phrasing it.

      Delete
  7. How lovely of your son and his wife to take in TGS! I'm sure it's an arrangement that will benefit everyone concerned. And as for Ryan Gosling - I like anything with him in, he's just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things will work out well. I asked TGS if here was excited about moving in with them and his answer was "Of course! I love them"

      Delete
  8. What a great experience for Son2, DIL, and TGS. So very generous of them.
    Darn groundhog! Can you trap and release the darned thing elsewhere? I recall we had moles at the farm, and of course, we didn't use humane traps. They wrecked havoc on mom's garden too. Since my gardening is limited to containers I only have to worry about the occasional rabbit getting to plants on the deck. So far, they don't seem to appreciate tomatoes and peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone could trap and release him but that someone is not me.

      Delete
  9. What a thoughtful gesture on the part of your son and DIL! Whoever said water exercise isn't that strenuous needs his head examined; I admire your discipline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt swimming is less strenuous on the joints, but the muscles scream after a long swim.

      Delete
  10. I used to swim all the time. I miss it. But not in thunderstorms! (Although I do love a good thunderstorm.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to be on the screened porch and enjoy the storm, not so much in the pool.

      Delete
  11. Hope you’re well. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.