Translate

Monday, February 27, 2023

Cooking vs. Eating

I am still trying to use foods from my freezer, but last week the plans just went awry. Some of you may have no problems with time management and understand fully what your limitations are. Evidently I am not one of those. I truly thought I would be cooking every night except Thursday. 

I had forgotten about meeting TheHub's brother and his wife for dinner Tuesday, and my original plan for driving to Nashville was to leave about 9, turn around and be home by 3:30. I also did not plan on having so many leftovers from the night Son3's friends were here.

But, and this is a big but, I would not change a thing about last week.  I got to spend the week doing things with/for the people I love most, and I can always find food at scads of places near my house. I will choose time with them over using food from the freezer any day.



What I planned on using from the freezer (Go ahead and laugh)
turkey sausage 
brussels sprouts
chicken breast
keto bread
ground chuck
salmon filets
cauliflower rice
corn on the cob
green beans 
Mexican pot roast

Monday: I would have cooked Monday, but we had a lot of pork and fixings leftover from Sunday night. Leftover bbq pork, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, tea

Tuesday:  We had plans to meet BIL and SIL in Tuscaloosa for dinner at Evangeline's
Duck breast or halibut, mushroom risotto, sautéed spinach, wine

Wednesday: My BIL had told us about buying steak at Costco. I probably never would have tried it if not for his recommendation. (He actually raises cattle and is a little discerning when it comes to beef quality). We bought it and tried it___delicious!
Grilled steak, tossed salad, green beans, tea

Thursday: I was at the play venue all day and had nothing to eat but a couple of cups of coffee. Son2 was the same, so after the event with the set broken down and everything loaded in the trucks we planned on going out to dinner. Unfortunately all of the good restaurants in the area had quit serving for the night, which left us with only fast food options. 
Whataburger. Who says you can't have a fun after play meal for 7 at a fast food place?

Friday: TheHub decided he could drive with me to Nashville to take Son3 to meet DIL3 there, but it was going to have to be after a meeting he had scheduled. We did not leave Birmingham until about 1:30 and arrived in Nashville just in time for the afternoon drive time traffic. It took a much longer than normal amount of time to drive through town to East Nashville. We literally dropped Son3 off in the driveway of his friend's house before turning around to sit in more traffic and make our way back to Birmingham.  We  got to Athens, Alabama (just across the state line) and needed a break. What better place to break than Buc-ee's?
Turkey sandwich or chicken sandwich, coffee or water, buc-ee's hot potato chips

Saturday: Once again I had nothing to eat all day and was hungry when I got home from driving to  and from the middle of nowhere (50 miles from here with road construction and serious delays) to a baby shower. When we finally made it back to the house I declared I was not cooking and we decided it might be a good night for a pizza,
Italian sausage, bell pepper, mushroom and onion pizza

Sunday:  I did not really want to cook, but I figured after nights of either eating out, eating in the car, or doin take-out, plus the 5th night eating take out leftovers I could not really insist on another night doing nothing.
Chicken in cilantro cream sauce, roasted corn, coleslaw

Freezer Inventory I actually used
turkey sausage - breakfast casserole for Son3 and friends
green beans - steak dinner
2 small chicken breast - Sunday dinner
corn on the cob - Sunday dinner

Possibilities to use from the freezer this week: 
brussels sprouts
keto bread
ground chuck
salmon filets
cauliflower rice
Mexican pot roast
duck breast 
keto "cornbread"
marinara sauce
chicken breast
asparagus

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.












17 comments:

  1. Taking the time last week to spend with all of your friends and family was SO much more important than cooking. Everyone ate and that's all that matters some times. The blueberries I wanted to use up last week are still in the freezer so I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week like I had last week is such a rare one, that I just wanted to enjoy it as much as possible.

      Delete
  2. You made all of the right decisions, & I would make the same tradeoffs. We buy all of our steak at Costco, and think they have fantastic quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised at what a fantastic steak it was. Of course now I have 6 more in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. Now I want to get a Costco membership. But, we would not buy enough steak to justify it. The older I get, the more I hate rush hour traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rush hour traffic does not bother me generally, but it did add a couple of extra hours to the trip.

      Delete
  4. I think you made the right decision to enjoy time spent with family and friends over cooking. Eating out or getting food to go can be good, too. I am still not eating out at a restaurant, but, I enjoy take out from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this...... "I would not change a thing about last week."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week, just a little more intense than my usual weeks

      Delete
  6. In the beginninng I misread the times and thought Nashville was only a half hour away from Birmingham and then I wondered why i hadn't realised that. :)
    It sounds like a fabulous and tiring week and I'm intrigued with cilantro cream sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use a recipe as it is written but this was the inspiration for the sauce https://www.holajalapeno.com/cilantro-cream-sauce/

      Delete
  7. Yep! I am a planner, but if something as great ad time with family comes up, I am happy to oblige! Have a cozy day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time spent with the family is great time, especially since we see Son3 so rarely.

      Delete
  8. I just read your last post. What a wonderful week you had and yep, plans are made to be broken aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful for the author's dedication to creating useful articles that help readers solve their problems.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.