Translate

Monday, March 4, 2024

Back to Joys

Well, it looks like I am back to a more traditional joy list. At least for now I am. I am trying a different way of meal planning and preparing which might or might not work. Nonetheless this is what I am going to be doing, and I am all right with it.



Monday: I stayed at home and spent a good deal of the day in the kitchen. My time there waffled between advance cooking for the week and inventorying my pantry and fridge. I am loaded with food for the moment, and probably need to have a dinner party to use some of it. If that is not a first world problem I don't know what is.
Additionally I was able to catch up on my laundry and have some quality reading time.
TheHub and I decided for the Lenten season we would watch (or rewatch for me) all 3 seasons of The Chosen. Having the app on the FireStick makes it very easy.

Tuesday: Oh wow it was gorgeous, really warm, and blue, blue skies. Had a phone call and long conversation with Sluggy., It is always a joy to laugh with friends. 

Wednesday: Another gorgeous day happened. I did get the coat closet completely emptied, cleaned out and decluttered. Several things either went into the donation box for the exchange club, or found new homes via my community Buy Nothing facebook site. Getting rid of an overload of stuff is a real joy.

Thursday: What happened? Our day started off as a gorgeous day, then it got cooler! I declare this a personal foul. Once you give me warm days, I think they should continue.
The landscaper finally put the sod in the places that were disturbed when we reconfigured the front yard. We only signed the contract with him before Thanksgiving. Not timely at all but at least that part of it is done. I am still not sure where the sod for the side yard is.
TheHub and I went out to eat for a little casual celebration dinner. (The only criteria for the restaurant was to have a really good vodka martini because sometimes toasts are in order) 

Friday: The day was overcast with intermittent rains which is fine, but it was cold. I thought I was done with sweater weather, but I guess not.
I had to run to the bank and post office and when I returned home I sat in the car counting the number of robins in my front yard. I managed to count 21 at one time before the flock was spooked. We have robins year round, so I am guessing these were migratory birds stopping for a bit of refreshment before heading north to herald spring.
Because you cannot do too much of a good thing we went out to eat again. We were at a sports bar/restaurant with a gozillion TV's. While we ate we sort of watched "Friday Night Heights" (women's gymnastics. Alabama was in a meet with LSU. After we ate we came home and finished watching it. I have no idea how they do all the things they are able to do with their bodies. Call me impressed!

Saturday: We did our usual Saturday morning running around, talked to Pip and planned our next trip to Portland. While we were riding on a couple of back roads to go to the grocery store, we saw something we have never seen before___a baby coyote, by itself standing on the side of the road. You have to understand we do not live in a remote area and the babe was on a side street that runs parallel to a 5 lane road. It made me sad to see it alone, but . . . .
Once home, we watched Alabama softball (back to back games) then watched Alabama men's basketball.
I think if Alabama had a tiddlywinks team we would watch it.

Sunday: I woke at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep so I hopped up, drank coffee and read until time to get ready for church. A lot of time we go out for a quick lunch afterward, but we came straight home and ate here. We both had a few things to do before getting ready to go to a gallery showing one of our neighbors had. We really do like this particular neighbor quite a bit and went specifically to hear the "artist talk" with a very talented facilitator who asked interesting questions. I have known she was an artist (actually both she and her husband are) since they moved in, but it was a lot of fun to hear her stories of her career in art, along with her inspirations.
When we returned home we watched "Masters of the Air". If you have Apple TV and are looking for a good series, this might be for you. I would call it the air force equivalent of "Band of Brothers" 

Books read in January:
Demon Copperhead
Paper Names
Symphony of Secrets 
Mardi Gras Murder (Because it's Mardi Gras time)
5 O'Clock Band        (Ditto)

Books read in February:
Lillian Boxfish takes a Walk
The Nightingale

Hoping for better March reading  but no book is completed yet

Look for your joys, large or small. They are always out there.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne





20 comments:

  1. That is amazing that you saw a baby coyote considering where you live. There are days that there is so much food in the refrigerator that we are overwhelmed. Yep, a bbq is the order of the day when looking in the refrigerator. How old is Pip now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coyotes are all around here. In fact twice a year helicopters drop packs of meat flavored rabies vaccine for coyotes and raccoons

      Delete
  2. I would take some of the gorgeous weather here, but I'll have to travel to find it.
    I bet you're looking forward to your trip to Portland! I'm sure Pip is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to it. She has grown and wants to go to Sephora one of the days we are there

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely week of joys! Cayotes seem to have adapted to urban living. We have some where I live and the nearby cemetery where my mother's remains are interred have signs posted showing a cayote and asking people not to feed the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are around here but I have never seen a baby out in the open and alone

      Delete
  4. We are lucky having some really nice weather now...by nice I mean, no rain..still chilly and grey. Hopefully it will get better and sunnier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope it gets much better for you ! Sunny weather is so nice.

      Delete
  5. You've read quite a few books already this year, i wish I read more but I guess I'm ultimately too distractible.
    How did you like the cascading menu? I wouldn't say I have ever done it but I've had glimpses and it can feel like such a relief from cooking.
    Did I miss what you were celebrating? I hope you had a wonderful evening anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not exactly sure how I feel about the cascading menu. This week nothing much has happened so far, but we had a planned night out and a little unexpected hitch Tuesday.
      I did not post about the celebration, but will sometime later.

      Delete
  6. There's never a bad time to enjoy a good martini!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a nice week of big and small joys. It's sad that you saw the coyote pup alone. Something must have happened to the mother. I hope you enjoyed your celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure something happened to the mother. The pup was entirely too young to be by itself on a street.

      Delete
  8. "....watch tiddly winks..." made me laugh. But you do like Alabama sports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise there is some truth in that statement. I had a family of 3 sons and 1 husband all of whom loved sports. For me it was either learn to enjoy them or do everything solo.

      Delete
  9. My son wanted to the diner on McFarland Blvd in Northport It is in front of Alabama Power. Maybe the name is Northport Diner,….. I don’t even know. There was a huge line but it moved fast. . The food was outstanding! I seldom eat out bc I am usually disappointed, but this hit the spot. Also son is so picky but he was really happy with his food. I am a sucker for large portions of comfort food like purple hull peas, cornbread, greens, fried okra, mac and cheese, etc. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep nothing beats comfort foods. Tonight I had turnip greens and meatloaf!

      Delete
  10. Speaking of being loaded with food, we seem to have a lot of food on hand right now too, which is definitely a third world problem. I'm with you on warm days need to continue and not bring back the cold days. LOL I am reluctant to take my electric blanket off the bed, because I've not used it lately, as I don't think we are done with the cold weather yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is exactly why I still have my flannel sheets on the bed.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.