Translate

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Changing Things

I have decided I am going to start posting my menu and food plan on Sundays because I am trying something a little different.

While watching a Youtube video I recently heard the term cascading menu and the vlogger explained what she meant. (I wish I could remember who she was and I would share the link) She makes her menu based on what she will have left over from her meals, cooks or preps items to be used for more than one meal. I thought I would give it a try and plan 2 weeks of meals as a test.


I do not know of any song about cascading anything but I have heard of The Cascades before.

I think I will like the idea of doing this as long as I can make sure we have very different meals using whatever is left, cooked, or prepped at the same time.
I can eat leftovers, but I have to reform them for TheHub. And honestly neither of us love monotonous meals.
Yep, I guess time will tell.

Planned for this week:
1. Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans, cucumber salad
2. BBQ cheeseburger waffles, cauliflower side dish TBD
3. Chicken divan (ton of broccoli left over from Sunday's dinner to use)
4. Hot and sour soup, spring rolls
5. Big salad meal TBD
6. Potential celebration meal at a restaurant
7.Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, tossed salad

How this cascading thing actually worked:

Monday:
Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans, cucumber salad - scratched the green beans and used spinach leftover from egg bites made and frozen for breakfasts. Instead of mashed potatoes, I served my meatballs on caulirice.

Tuesday:
Chicken divan over rice - used broccoli left over from Sunday's dinner, and cauliflower rice from the Swedish meatball meal. While I was poaching the chicken for for the divan, I cooked enough for the cheesesteak casserole (planned for next week) figuring I might as well kill two birds with one stone. I fortified the poaching liquid with a little Better than Bouillon, because I needed about 2 tablespoons of rich stock for the chicken divan. The rest of the liquid was saved as a base for the hot and sour soup. While slicing the mushrooms for the chicken divan I also sliced them for the soup meal. 

Wednesday:
Hot and sour soup, spring rolls - Used mushrooms and chicken broth from chicken divan night. The hot and sour soup was not vegetarian because it had chicken broth as it's base, but it had no meat or fish in it. In addition to the white mushrooms sliced while making the chicken divan, I added baby bellas. They have a slightly different flavor and a meatier texture. After they were prepped I realized I did not need all the white mushrooms I sliced. I put the extras in some seasoned vinegar and oil to use in the salad meal. 
The spring rolls were just matchstick slices of red onion, carrot, cucumber, celery, radish, cabbage and red pepper. While the red onion was out, I cut several slices to make a quick pickled onion for the chef's salad meal and chopped some for the cheeseburger waffle meal. I also sliced red pepper for the salad and chopped a little for the waffle meal.

Thursday:
Out to eat at The Electric. Flatbread for TheHub, pimento cheese BLT for me

Friday:
Out to eat at Baumhower's . Hot Lips salad for me (very hot sauce brushed on the chicken that tops the salad) Shrimp Po boy for TheHub.

Saturday:
Lunch:
Italian chef's salad (moved to Saturday's lunch) - Used the marinated mushrooms  and pickled onions prepped when making the soup meal. Also used the marinade liquid to make the salad dressing. This was much smaller than it would have been as a dinner meal. I have lots of marinated mushrooms and pickled onion leftover for salad lunches next week.
Dinner:
BBQ cheeseburger waffles, coleslaw (booted cauliflower side dish and opted for coleslaw) - Used the chopped onion from soup night. Cooked ground chuck for next week's cottage pie while cooking for this meal.

Sunday: 
Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, tossed salad - Though we will not have eaten before this is posted, it really does not matter. Nothing was used from any other meals. 
I made and froze then sauce Monday morning  before I ever heard the term cascading menu.  But that does not exclude the possibility of something from this moving into next weeks menu.

The first week was pretty easy to do. I guess the true test will be to see what happens the second week.
 
Week 2 plans:
Chicken cheesesteak casserole, green beans
Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes, tossed salad
Chicken cacciatore, spinach salad, spaghetti
Cottage pie, coleslaw
Grilled steak/w cowboy butter, baked potato, tossed salad
Vegetable "crab" cakes, fries, hushpuppies, coleslaw
out to eat

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


20 comments:

  1. What is chicken cheesesteak? I was thinking cheesesteak was cheese with steak but apparently it has chicken also? Sounds good. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casserole made primarly of chicken, peppers and onions

      Delete
  2. I like this new "cascading" meal plan! I used to read a magazine that used to have a monthly meal plan and, often, they would say, "cook extra chicken to use in next week's meal" or "reserve half of the browned ground beef for Thursday's dinner", etc. Looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will either work out well or I will not like it at all. If that is the case I will discontinue the practice.

      Delete
  3. That Hot Lips salad sounds right up my lane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that many times I have used the cascading method without ever hearing the term for cooking. Tonight, I made spaghetti. The onion was so huge that I needed half for tonight, the rest for another meal. However, cascading is not my usual way of cooking. I hope it works out for you.
    Tommy's limit is about three days for the same meal. I can go much longer eating the identical meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually like a lot of flavor in our meals and TheHub does not like repeating meals at all.

      Delete
  5. As my household size decreased, I guess this is how I've been managing the meals. Though, I do eat a lot of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were just me here I would eat leftovers, or freeze them for later,

      Delete
  6. I haven't made Swedish meatballs in a while and pairing with cucumber salad sounds just perfect for a warm day meal. I don't mind leftover as long as it involves red meat. I can eat steak for every single meal in my life :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can see steak being an exception to the non leftover rule.

      Delete
  7. Your meals sound yummy! I haven't heard of a cascading menu, but it sounds like it would help with food waste. May require more thought than I can muster right now though. I have never heard of cheeseburger waffles, sounds interesting. Now I'm craving chicken divan or chicken casserole this week, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheeseburger waffles was just a chaffel (https://www.buttertogetherkitchen.com/white-bread-keto-chaffle/) with a bbq sauced, veggie loaded cooked ground beef, topped with diced tomatoes and pickles, shredded lettuce and shredded cheese.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to hear if this works for you. I kind of do it this way. We also like variety and will use items from left over meals to create something different but rarely eat the same meal twice in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing we really eat as leftovers is soup, I might have it at lunch, but we do not eat it twice in a row for dinner.

      Delete
  9. Didn't give it a name, but I do cascading cooking, too. However, we don't mind leftovers, so we don't need to do it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. If I used half an onion the other rest was put in the refrigerator as an unchopped or sliced half. I did not waste food but I did not prep in advance of the next meal.

      Delete
  10. I've not heard of this term before, but I like the idea of it. Your meals sound delicious, especially the hot and sour soup, which I love. And the Pimento BLT sounds so good! I really like pimento cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok. This is interesting! Thank you for giving it a go, and I look forward to seeing how the second week goes! Swedish meatballs sound good right now!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.