Translate

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Joys in Our Week

Most of the week was rather ordinary, but it held the promise of ending with a bang! Lucky for us! Though the work week ended with rains, winds and icky weather, neither of us cared because we were headed to see Pip. And even a rainy day with her fills us with sunshine.




Monday: This was like most of my Mondays. I try to have little planned so I can get things done to make the rest of my week run smoothly.
The St. Patrick's Day table decor was put away until next year, and an Easter tablescape is now in its place, along with some moderate Easter decor in the foyer. I like to have seasonal things out, but I like it to be simple enough that it is easy to put away once the occasion is over.
The best thing that happened Monday was a phone call with Kim's own Sissy! Lucky me!

Tuesday: I mostly stayed at home with the exception of running to Publix to pick up a few of their ad items that would be leaving that day. 
Before, I have mentioned the only use the tub in the master bath gets is to hold toilet paper. Usually I have 5 packs in there at all times. That is why during the great toilet paper shortage of the covid crisis, I had no worries about securing said item. I always bought it whenever it was on sale so I always had an abundance.  
Well, Monday when I was cleaning the bathroom and was going to vacuum the tub (yes this is how I clean a never used bathtub) I noticed only 1 1/2 packs were left. Panic set in until I could get to the store and buy my beloved Angel Soft at it's sale price. Whew! I dodged a bullet and even though I was not at my preferred number, I was at least comfortable with 3 1/2. (I think each pack is supposed to equal 36 rolls, but I believe that is for much smaller rolls that are now counted as regular rolls. Toilet paper math! Go figure!) And now I can breathe a little easier and even though not fully stocked, I at least have a good base. 
We will be  having house guests for several days once we get back from our trip, so I probably need to get a little more. ( At least 3 more ) 
Fingers  crossed, someone has it on sale this week.
Who ever knew toilet paper could bring such joy?

Wednesday: What a glorious day! I went to class, did a little running around and came home to people actually laying sod. I am very glad because it had been sitting in a truck for 2 days and there was no way I would pay for grass that died because the landscaper let it sit too long. The men he had doing the work did a nice job, and I thank them for that. Working with this particular landscaping company has not been the best experience. 
I got to talk with Sluggy which is always a fun thing. I do enjoy laughing with her.
After a take out dinner, TheHub and I watched more of "The Chosen". 

Thursday: I was able to do all the laundry and start putting  together the outfits I will be wearing while we are in Portland. (Who am I kidding, it will be mainly jeans and various tops ) It is going to be a little cooler and rainy/misty while we are there. I have put most of my cool weather clothes up for the year, but still have enough in the closet that I should be ok. I even managed to partially pack. We had tickets to a play Friday and I wanted to be all but done before we went to see Hadestown.
In the evening I had a call from Pip and Son1. According to both of them she had rather see us than go to Disneyland. I am calling that the highest praise possible!

Friday: I woke, got dressed and was about to run a few errands picking up a couple of things I needed to pack when the phone rang. It was Pip on her way to school, who wanted to know what she could bake for us to have when the plane landed. She has no clue that just seeing her is a big enough treat for us. I do love that child!
I did head out to the store later and once home I packed everything I could think of that I might need. If I forgot anything crucial I knew I could buy it there and if I forgot something non critical ___too bad!
I had changed our theater tickets to Hadestown from Sunday to Friday night. We did enjoy the play, but not necessarily the timing. Our normal tickets are for Sunday matinees. There was a big concert happening  in the same complex at the same time as the play. Sunday's rarely have conflicting events and it makes parking a non-issue.

Saturday: We woke, finished all the little details we needed to do before we left, then headed out for the airport. Woo hoo! Our flight to DFW was uneventful and we even found a food court with a basketball game on TV so we could watch while we had a snack during the layover. 
The real adventure began when we boarded the flight to Portland. The two ladies sitting in front of us were having a good time.  A little loud but seemingly good natured. We should have realized when they downed their first Bloody Mary before we left the tarmac that the flight would be interesting.  It was, and ended with one of them falling flat on her face when it was time to deplane.  It was sad.
The upside of the plane debacle trip was getting to baggage claim and seeing the most beautiful girl in our world running to us with her arms wide open. 

Sunday: TheHub and I woke, had breakfast at the hotel then drove to Son1’s family’s house to pick up Pip and take her to that wonderland of shopping, Sephora (her request).
 When I was in the fourth grade the only skincare routine I had was to wash my face with Ivory soap. After all it was so pure it floated. I do remember if it was winter and my face was chapped I would smear some cold cream on my cheeks, and if I was sunburned in the summer I used Noxema to take the sting out of an over red face, but that was it for my self care. This generation pays much more attention to things than I ever did.
We wandered around the store before she zeroed in on the exact brand she was looking for. She had 50 bucks with her and wanted 3 different things but her 50 would not cover it.  When I told her I would buy one of them for her, she LET me buy her the most expensive one. 
Not to be left behind, I did buy me a cheap (by Sephora standards, but still a little more than CVS ) lip gloss. Yes I am a high roller!
After our shopping spree, we went back to their house to watch Alabama basketball. They won by the skin of their teeth and move on to the Sweet Sixteen.
Dinner and visiting followed, then it was time to go back to the hotel and get some sleep. 
I was thrilled to be doing things with them!

Look for your joys. They are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne




28 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time with that sweet girl and your son and DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Air travel is a crap shoot these days. I'm glad to hear everything went off without a hitch, even if there was a hiccup or two from the women in front of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly not glamorous! Anne

      Delete
  3. Are you sure that wasn't me in front of you on the plane who fell on her face?(Sounds like me)lol
    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it could have been your doppelgänger, but only if you can polish off 6 bloody Mary’s in 3 hours. Anne

      Delete
  4. Your Pip joy has me smiling all over my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip joy is the best joy there is!

      Delete
  5. She is quite the hostess and charmer--baking for you and taking requests? nice. I cannot imagine a fourth grader wanting to shop in Sephora. Funny. They start early. I never had chapped cheeks or sun burn, so do not recall what I used in the way of lotion. It sounds like a really nice trip so far. I wonder how the woman who fell on her face fared. The weather has been pretty around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played outside as a kid no matter what the weather was. Winter chapped cheeks and summer sunburn was quite normal for us.

      Delete
    2. We played outside all the time. My brother and sisters had chapped cheeks and sunburn. I did not, no matter how much I was outdoors. I had different skin.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely list of joys, particularly with Pip! -Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that child. I think grandparenting is a way to atone for the failures I had parenting

      Delete
  7. Such fun to go shopping with a granddaughter! I used Ivory soap and I guess Vaseline in 4th grade…. Lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no skincare regime when I was a kid. Some things were better then, but I think the focus on self care is a positive. Anne

      Delete
  8. Toilet paper math is more complex than quantum calculus! Glad you got some extra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're fans 'Charmin' and have never tried Angel Soft ... now I'm curious. Have a great time out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charmin is a wonderful product, but is almost too thick for our toilets to flush easily.

      Delete
  10. Have a wonderful time with your granddaughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I had the same "skin care routine" as you did when I was a kid. Thought Nivea was absolute heaven! Enjoy spoiling your little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea pre-teens were as into skin care as they are, but she knew exactly which products she wanted from both Sephora and Ulta.

      Delete
  12. What a week of wonderful joys. Enjoy every minute with your family. I also freak out a bit if I get too low on TP. It is essential in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I am tp phobic but having an abundance is essential in my world.

      Delete
  13. I can definitely hear the joy in your words. And I bet Pip is just as happy as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of storing your tp in the bathtub. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is real estate that is unused so it might as well have a function.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.