Choo Choo Cha Cha was the first song on my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist Monday morning. At first I thought I only know one song with choo choo in the title, so I decided to give myself a little grace and just think of songs with train in the title. That was easy enough, but then I thought of a few more which just mention trains in the body of the lyrics, so I added them at the end to amuse myself for your listening pleasure.
Monday: This day was just what I needed. Other than needing to run to the bank, I was able to stay home all day. It was glorious!
The day was hot and muggy but that was even fine with me, because the bank has a drive through and I did not have to change out of shorts, flip flops and a tee shirt. I call that a win!
What I learned: More about the MLB trades than I needed or wanted to know. I am currently outnumbered at the house and discussions tend to be sports related.
Listened to: Chattanooga Choo Choo
Dinner: Though I had intended to grill, the weather had other plans. I am just thankful I recently bought a cast iron grill pan for indoor grilling.
White bbq chicken, potato salad, green beans, sliced tomatoes
White bbq chicken, potato salad, green beans, sliced tomatoes
Tuesday: This was a second day in a row I had no activities planned. I was able to change the sheets and do a bit of work in the laundry room. My laundry room was originally for laundry, sewing, and was supposed to have studio space for art projects (never happened). Over the years it became a dumping ground for anything that did not have a dedicated space.
The room is overflowing and the time has come to either find places for things or get rid of them.
While I was in the laundry room my ferret brain told me instead of finishing cleaning, I needed to restyle a couple of things I had put on the sewing machine cabinet. I like them but they are dated. Now, with a few snips and a little tweaking they have been given another life.
What I learned: I have fabric scissors of my own, but I also inherited Mom's. I had never really used them until Tuesday. What a difference really nice scissors make!
Listened to: Freight Train
Catfish, squash, okra, hushpuppies
Wednesday:
Listened to Midnight Train to Georgia
Dinner: Hot dogs and fixings
Thursday: Son3's work plans changed and he would be finished a day earlier than planned. Nothing much during the day. DIL3 got into town right as I was leaving to go meet several cousins for either a really late lunch or a really early dinner. I asked her is she would like to come with us but she declined, saying she had some work things she would do while waiting for Son3 to finish.
My Beloved Sister drove this time and we were caught in possibly the worst rainstorm I have been in. I am not a sissy about lightning and thunder but when it is raining so hard your windshield wipers can't keep up with the rain, I don't like it. Luckily there was a traffic snarl which normally irritates me. Instead this time every single car was barely moving, and after about 10 miles we ran out of the storm. The congestion remained the same, but at least MBS could see the gozillion cars on the road ahead of us.
Once we finally got to the restaurant, the rain had cleared.
What I learned: There is always one idiot driver who thinks he/she is going to be able to drive fast and weave in and out of traffic in a downpour. It does not work!
Listened to: Love Train
Dinner: Met 5 cousins or their spouses at TheHalf Shell Oyster House. We were there for almost 3 hours and normally I would have felt bad occupying a table that long. We were there by 4:15 which is not a traditional dinner time, but I also imagine the weather killed the plans for a lot of diners. By the time we left there were only about 10 tables filled in a very large restaurant.
Shrimp and grits, asparagus
Friday: Woke and had coffee and talked with DIL3 and Son3.
Son2 and DIL2 came over for lunch and to visit with Son3 and DIL3 before they left to head back to Nashville. They decided since his job was done sooner than they thought, they would to drive back to Nashville Friday rather than Saturday morning as they had originally planned. They were going to leave Birmingham very early Saturday to be back in Nashville for the Tomato Festival, and it made a lot more sense to head out, have a leisurely drive back and enjoy Saturday's festivities.
What I learned: I learned what the Tomato Festival is, and what goings on happen during it.
Listened to: Crazy Train
Dinner: I had planned on having a salad, but TheHub had a salad for lunch and did not want another for dinner. So our dinner plans just changed forms.
BLT sandwich
Saturday: I was extremely tired Saturday and did very little until it was time to dress to go to an anniversary party for my dearest and closest cousin and her husband. It was a lovely party held at her son's house. The only downside to being married in August is having a celebration then is hot. I mean really hot!
My Beloved Sister and I went together, talking and laughing, and silently hoping the almost daily afternoon thundershower would hold off. It did, mostly.
And in spite of the heat, I was so thankful to be able to celebrate their success building a life and family together. I love them all.
What I learned: I met the newest addition to our extended family. I learned in spite of a serious medical issue when he was born, he is now thriving and gaining weight. Like Kim always says at the end of her blog posts "God is good".
Listened to: Peace Train
Dinner: I knew I would be getting home from the anniversary party right about dinner time and wanted something that would be an easy to make meal. Again I am so glad I bought a cast iron grill pan recently.
Steak, baked potato, tossed salad
Sunday: We woke, went to the early communion service, 8:30 church followed by Sunday School.
On our way home we decided to go out for lunch. I seem to remember saying we needed to quit eating out as much as we do. Hollow words!
Once we finished eating we headed to Aldi and Publix for a little cherry picking. I keep a running list of whatever is a really good deal (there have been very few lately) and go ahead and snag them. Once home, and after putting the groceries away, I did a few mundane chores, visited with a neighbor an bit then did some serious reading. (Only serious in the amount of time I read, not the reading material)
Later Sunday night we began watching a new series, Furious. It looks like it is something we will enjoy watching.
What I learned: Our senior minister at our church is going to leave to pursue a different sort of ministry. He will become a minister or consultant to ministers who face the struggles that come with their positions.
Listened to: This Train
Dinner: Now that it is just the two of us for dinner again, our meals will be even simpler.
Lady peas, coleslaw, mac and cheese
Bonus songs that just mention a train.
You Never Even Call Me By My Name
You have to wait for the last verse for this one, but it is worth it.
500 Miles
City of New Orleans
Read this week: Glitz, Glamour and a Damn Good Time**
Have a great week.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
* I will cook fish any way but frying it. I can't stand the way the house smells after that.
** If any of you have watched The Golden Age on HBO you might like this book about Mamie Fish.
Some of my favorite tunes! Your mention of the fabric scissors made me smile/wince. Not being acquainted with a sewing machine, my foolish (teen) self never understood why mother got so cross seeing me use it on paper, etc. Everything except fabric.
ReplyDeleteWe were not allowed to cut anything but fabric with Mom's fabric scissors. They do a wonderful job.
DeleteI like these songs also.
I would love to have a laundry room!! Don't know any of those songs that you were listening...
ReplyDeleteMy laundry room is much too big and holds a mountain of stuff,. I have to attack it.
DeleteYou did some alterations? I am so proud to you!
ReplyDeleteI did and I did not have fun doing them, but they were not worth what it would cost to have them altered
DeleteI had two kids on different nights for dinner...so nice to not feel rushed. I haven't seen yiungest fir a couple weeks, but will this weekend.
ReplyDeleteWe had not seen Son1 and Pip since March and ti was great to have them here. Though Son3 and DIL3 were here in early July it was great to have somewhere for him to stay while working and we did enjoy his stay. Now I am looking forward to the rest of August with no one around.
DeleteI haven't had any fresh lady peas this summer. Now I want some!! I do not fry fish either. I actually don't fry anything! If we have a fish fry, Mark sets up on the screen porch and uses his fryer! Someone shared the video of your pastor's message about leaving. I know y'all are probably sad. My fabric scissors have a note that says something like, "you touch . . .you are in big trouble!" haha!
ReplyDeleteNow that I have 2 pairs of fabric scissors there are double chances of someone using them nefariously. I have 4 pairs of any use scissors in the junk drawer and the fabric ones stay in the sewing machine drawer. No reason for anyone to use them, but sometimes it happens.
DeleteI understand his new calling, but I will miss him leading the church.
Great selection of songs this week. I actually knew most of them this time.😮
ReplyDeleteOnce I decided to use Spotify to set my theme for the week I only use songs I can think of off the top of my head. The only difference would be in who is singing or playing. I remember hearing Johnny Cash singing This Train, but when I was on youtube and saw the video of Sister Rosetta Clark, I decided to use hers, even though I had never heard her sing it before.
DeleteWe just got a cast iron grill pan for our camper. We haven’t tried it yet. Any suggestions or pointers? I’m glad you get to spend time with your sons.
ReplyDeleteSue in MN
I coated mine with Crisco, wiped it almost dry with a paper towel then baked it for an hour or so to season it. I have a lot of cast iron and I clean them using a chain mail "sponge", rinse it well, dry it completely then lightly oil it (wiping the excess with a paper towel.
DeleteI use my cast iron pans a good bit and a couple of them are over 100 years old and still kicking.
It's always good to have a day to yourself to get things done - in your own time! Yes driving in a big storm is not fun at all! We have huge downpours here in our Queensland summers which can be scary. Hope your week is going well.
ReplyDeletesherry
We have big storms also and this a true frog strangler.
DeleteI have driven in hummdinger rain storms more often than I care to think about and it really is frightening. There is a steep hill on the motorway just before I get to my town and hydroplaning is really bad there, yet still I used to see idiots belting along like they are invincible - they very often aren't!
ReplyDeleteWe have one section on a road near my house that is on a sloped downhill curve and hydroplaning is a real issue there. I have learned to never brake there but I have seen the results of folks who do when there is a car coming in the other lane.
DeleteI always bake my fish! I am just not a fryer-type of person :)
ReplyDeletesherry
I will pan fry okra but that is about it for frying here.
DeleteA great selection of songs! I knew most of them, except for the very first one! Nice selection of meals, too. :D
ReplyDeleteI had never heard the first song before either
ReplyDelete