Translate

Monday, August 17, 2026

Prima(ry) Week

I woke, had my coffee and turned on my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist. I never have any idea what the algorithms will decided I need to listen to. 
Supposedly it is based on my recent listening preferences, but each week I listen to music from just about every genre. This week's suggestions were a mishmash of my last year's listening, because a little bit of everything was on the list. 
I have been using the first one on the playlist to establish my daily listening share and this was the first song.  
Since I knew absolutely no other song with the word gigolo either in the title or the lyrics, I gave myself a pass and decided I would use Louis Prima and/or Keely Smith songs.

                                            Just a Gigolo

Monday: After establishing my music theme for the week, I finished up my coffee, cleaned the kitchen, did a little laundry and thought about cleaning other rooms, while listening to the recommended Discover Weekly playlist. Instead, coffee and listening won.
I gathered all the supplies I needed to go to my happy place in the early afternoon, read a bit then got ready to go. If any of you have been reading for any amount of time, you know volunteering at Independence Place is one of my favorite things to do.
Monday we got to see a new participant, whom I had met through DIL2 a couple of time before. I think My Beloved Sister had only met her once, but she did remember her also. They are adding new participants slowly but surely, and I am so thankful they are providing space for these additional folks.
To say we enjoyed being with them is an understatement. 
Once home I thought about Sluggy and gave her a call. She had a setback and was in the hospital for 8 days. She's home now, but it has pushed back some of the progress she had made. I know whe would appreciate any and all good thoughts.
And just in case some of you want to watch a decently written series, we are enjoying Furious. However, if you don't like to watch the FBI try and solve some violent murders this might not be the show for you.
What I learned: I need to be a better friend, reaching out to others more often, even if just through text.
Listened to: Che La Luna


Dinner: We needed something that would be quick and easy.
Grilled chicken tenders, seasoned corn ribs*, tossed salad,

Tuesday: I have had my days and nights mixed up badly lately, and have not been going to bed until 3 or so in the morning, but still waking by 7ish. I have been extremely tired (self inflicted) but had nothing planned for the day and decided to sleep until I woke. Well at about 9:30 I finally roused, which is much too late. 
I have decided I need to be in bed by midnight, no matter what I want to do in the late night.**
All I did during the day was routine cleaning and laundry, along with some finding. While working in the laundry room I found a Costco size pack of ziploc bags. I knew they were somewhere, I just had forgotten how cleverly I had stashed them in the cabinet. 
Tuesday night is trivia night at The Electric, and it turns out TheHub loves going. I enjoy it but that night I would have rather stayed at home. 
What I learned: Afrikaans's translation of the word aardvark is earth pig 
Listened to: Angelina


Dinner: TheHub and I have learned to share a sandwich when we are at The Electric for trivia.
Reuben sandwich, coleslaw, chips


Wednesday: I woke, had 3 cups of coffee, did a few chores, then dressed for the day. 
I have 2 friends I have known since 1st grade and we reconnected recently to start having long lunches filled with conversations. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy being around them and sharing them sharing their lives with me. 
They were 2 of the smartest girls, now women, I have ever known and are still as much fun to be around as they were when we were kids.
We stayed at our table at the restaurant for 3 hours. Lucky for us the place was not crowded, and we tipped our server more than we normally would have.
What I learned: Other than things my friends had been doing for a while, I learned about their upcoming travel plans.
Listened to: Old Black Magic




Thursday: I did not leave to go anywhere today and it was so very nice. I managed to get a few things done but made no progress on any projects.
My SIL was going to be in town for doctors appointments both Thursday and again Friday morning. It would have been stupid for her to drive 2 hours home , then turn around and drive 2 hours back for an 8 am appointment. I am glad she called and let us know, so she could spend the night here. We always love being around her anyway, so this was just a bonus visit.
What I learned: SIL's grandson lost his first tooth. The Tooth Fairy has become much more generous than the quarter she left for me when I was a kid. Seems like 5 bucks is the low end on the TF scale.
Listened to: I Wanna Be Like You***


Dinner: SIL and BIL raise cattle on their farm, so I never have to worry about what to make for her.
Grilled steak, baked potato, sautéed mushrooms, tossed salad

Friday: TheHub and I did a little running around, but mostly spent the day at home doing odds and ends, like cleaning and reorganizing under the sink, cleaning and reorganizing the baking center, and reorganizing a bit more in the laundry room.
What I learned: I need to straighten underneath the sink monthly. I have enough products to polish silver for years, and oven cleaner to last for at least 2 years.
Listened to: Hey Boy Hey Girl

Dinner: TheHub suggested going out to eat until I told him if he could be patient for 30 minutes, I could get dinner ready.
Peruvian chicken w/ green sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, tossed salad 

Saturday: TheHub and I went to our favorite produce vendor, then stopped by a couple of grocery stores to grab a few necessities. Once home I began a draft of a Sunday School lesson, then TheHub and I settled into our routine, doing whatever we needed/felt like doing  around the house.
What I learned: The coming week is most likely the last week we can find really good peaches. 
Listened to: On The Sunny Side of the Street****

Dinner: Having an abundance of fresh produce meant only one thing__veggie dinner.
Lady peas, okra, corn on the cob, tomato cucumber onion salad

Sunday: We woke early to have enough time to get to our communion service, followed by the service in our sanctuary, then Sunday School.
On the way home, TheHub wanted to pick up lunch. It was fine with me!
We came home and I might or might not have dozed while reading.
What I learned: Obviously TheHub must look much older I do 😏, because the server asked if we wanted the Senior meal. 
Listened to: When You're Smiling


Dinner: Since we had eaten a larger then normal lunch, we did not need a big dinner. 
Tacos, with all the fixings

Read this week: Drowning

Have a great week.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne



* I bought these frozen from Trader Joes, If we have them again I will make them from scratch using fresh corn. In fact, if I can still find decent corn I will go ahead and cut it into ribs and freeze it for later, then season and cook them as needed. 

**I have a friend who once told me she was sure I had vampire blood somewhere in my family history because I am more alert and creative after dark.

*** Louis Prima voiced King Louie, the ape, in Disney's animated film The Jungle Book. His song is my all time favorite Disney tune.

****Keely Smith had more than one hit solo song I imagine, but this was the only one I knew.

***** I had a box of Old El Paso nacho flavored ultra low card taco shells. They were very good.

26 comments:

  1. "I Wanna Be Like You" is one of my favorite Disney songs! Lots of lovely upbeat songs, today. You had some delicious meals, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Sluggy is back home! I made my version of a Rueben”ish” sandwich. The homemade Russian dressing and sauerkraut were really the only things even remotely related to a Rueben sandwich. I had sauerkraut, the homemade Russian dressing, cheese but it was cheddar and not Swiss, and fried bologna….. lol. Well
    It tasted good but definitely not Rueben! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made almost Reubens with all kinds of substitutions. If it has sauerkraut and a pinkish dressing I call it a Reuben.

      Delete
  3. Some nice songs :-) Senior meal? LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had my grandson stay over the other week we watched Jungle Book together - in French of course for obvious reasons - but I have to say I'm always so impressed at how they match the foreign voice actors to the English ones (the French and Spanish versions of donkey in Shrek were wonderful)! Well that got me to look up who voiced King Louie in the film and realized it was Louis Prima - and you're right, he was just brilliant! Oh and thank you for the update on Sluggie. I'd been wondering how she was doing for a while so it's good to get her news. I hope she starts feeling better again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney has always done a wonderful job with the voices in their animated films.

      Delete
  5. Very nice music. Anne. Thank you for the update on Sluggy. 8 days in the hospital stinks, she probably wanted to go home the entire time. The Tooth Fairy has been generous these days. lol
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize how much inflation had impacted the Tooth Fairy!

      Delete
  6. I am just thinking about good peaches. Stonefruit is still many months away for us and how I will love it when it gets here.
    Your week sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listen to music while cooking or cleaning, and it changes too. Never thought to pick a theme for the week. I have lost my mojo for reading this month. Not sure what it is either. Living in the country can be lonely. Family and friends say we "live too far away" and we get zero calls, texts or anything unless someone "needs" something from us. Maybe I just need a vacation? Anyway, loved your post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to all kinds of music during the week, but make it a point everyday to listen to at least one song in my weekly theme.

      Delete
  8. I generally am not listening to music unless I'm in the car with the radio, so your weekly samplings are fun for me. Out of today's selections, "Hey Boy" was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of them, but I like Louie Prima, especially when Keely Smith is his sidekick.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear that Sluggy is still going through so much. Big hugs to her and prayers for healing. Peach season is winding down here also but I have a freezer full. I'll probably buy more this week because they have been so sweet and juicy this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought another basket of them this morning. These are some of the the best peaches I have had in a long time.

      Delete
  10. I am sick to death about Slugs and now I am afraid to call but I will. Don't ask Kay if she wants a Sr. mel.... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told TheHub I am so sorry he look like a Sr.citizen

      Delete
  11. My musical knowledge is slim to none - though I'm more likely to listen to country music on the radio. Why? Because that's what our local stations play. :)
    It turns out that my daughter and grandson aren't big fans of homegrown cucumbers so I'm having to eat them all. Thanks for a new to me idea! I did add some feta cheese to the mix for some protein, and it made a lovely refreshing lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cucumbers and we have one nearly every day. I truly like most genres of music and Spotify is my biggest help because I can listen to so many different types of music.

      Delete
  12. My former husband loved Louis and Keely. Nice to hear them again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's inflation when the TF is that high! It was up to $2 by my youngests losses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you think Spotify is worth subscribing too? I have seen it advertised and when my Google Home plays it does mention Spotify, I just don't know if it's worth the expense. Truthfully I know diddly about it........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't pay for it, so I get to listen to ads after about 4 songs. I love it even with the annoying ads

      Delete
    2. okay, so it's the same thing I do then. For some reason I thought you maybe had to subscribe to do what you're doing. Good to know Anne.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.