Decades ago my beloved sister and I were at an art exhibit at the Birmingham Museum of Art. It was one of those where you get a recording explaining all the different works of art. I don't remember the actual exhibit (we used to go to a lot of them) but when we passed a particular piece of art we were gobsmacked by the music that was playing while we were viewing it.
And because we have no shame we had to find out who the performer was. Once we found out it was Django Reinhart, I had to go to the music store (remember when you had to buy cassette tapes or CDs?) to find this artist.
I have been listening to him off and on ever since, and have developed an affinity for gypsy jazz.
Monday my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist had the song Danjologie first up. Turns out this was recorded by Django's son, Babik, which meant this weeks listening had to be devoted to the sounds of Django Reinhart. This was not hard for me.
Monday: I had a lazy and delightful morning of coffee and reading. It was wonderful.
I managed to clean out the armoire where I keep all of my clothes that are not hung in the closet. Each time I straighten it I make sure everything in there fits my needs and is something I actually wear. If not, it lands in my donations bag which is now overflowing. I need to itemize everything and move it on, out of the house.
TheHub and I had to run a few errands including going to Costco, which is my least favorite place to go. At least it was not as crowded as it is on the weekends! After we left there we ran by a couple of grocery stores to do a bit of cherry picking.
What I learned: I need to go through every single thing in my bedroom (not just clothes) and get rid of everything I don't use anymore.
Listened to: Sweet Georgia Brown
Dinner: TheHub wanted veggies so we went to our local meat and three
Stuffed bell pepper, turnip greens, okra
Tuesday: Son3 was going to be working in Birmingham for a week and a half. They only have 1 car and DIL3 needed to stay in Nashville so we met them halfway, had lunch, and drove Son3 the rest of the way here.
He has access to TheHub's car and the two of us just coordinated our calendars to share my car for the time being.
On the way home we stopped at the Dutch Oven Bakery in Faulkville. It is a Mennonite run bakery filled with deliciousness. I stocked up on their cheesecakes. I keep them in the freezer as a grab and go to have on hand to share with anyone who might need a little something.
Listened to: The Sheik of Araby
Cobb Salad
Wednesday: This was a home based day for the most part, but we did run by the grocery store before going 2 places to look at chairs. We are updating our patio and pool deck furnishings. TheHub wants a specific type of Adirondack chair which we found at a couple of places. Now he has to make a decision about which type he wants, one with lumbar support or the straight back.
What I learned: Polywood is definitely the way we want to go for furniture that will be in the elements year round.
Friday: We are changing our very outdated wills and had an appointment with the estate lawyer. Son2 went with us to outline what he is to do after we are gone. The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, which is a long time in typical attorney 15 minute billing cycles.
Listened to: Dark Eyes
Dinner: Grilled grouper, saffron rice, grilled vegetables
Thursday: I woke and read a bit before getting my appreciation baskets ready to be delivered to the church employees I was assigned for June and July. We were out of town much of June and kept missing the person I was assigned to when I was around. The same happened through July, but June's recipient was available Thursday as was the guy who was my July person. I am glad I could kill two birds with one stone!
As soon as I delivered them, I picked up my sister and we drove to CVS to be a shuttle service. We were headed to a get together of people who lived in our childhood neighborhood and the parking at the house was limited.
Well obviously we are no longer the kids who all played together, but we all share the same memories. Some of those who were there I had not seen since I was 13 years old, and it was great catching up with everyone.
Listened to: All of MeDinner: The gathering began at 2:30 and we all finally left a little before 6. I had no idea that much time had passed and I had nothing started for dinner. Take out___again
Chicken Salad Chick plate
Once done, we ran by the house and grabbed Son3, then met DIL2 at The Dip for lunch and conversation.
Back at the house we mainly hung out doing laundry and regular household chores.
What I learned: If I am paying for legal advice, take it without question. They know more about it than I do.
Listened to: I'll See You in My Dreams
Sunday: Because Son3 was here we did not do our normal Sunday morning church activities. Instead we stayed home with him, had coffee and conversations.
Dinner: I was trying to cut the carbs from one of TheHub's favorite meals. (It worked)
Spaghetti sauce over palmini "noodles", tossed salad
Saturday: I spent the morning tidying the house and doing laundry. Then reading (can't forget to mention the reading)
TheHub and Son3 ran into overly crowded Costco to pick up a few items we needed for dinner. Several months ago I had made a proclamation that I would not go to Costco on a Friday evening, Saturday, or Sunday ever again, and I didn't go.
Anyway it was kind of them to pick up the steaks, and since they were going to be there anyway, I added a couple of things to the list .
What I learned: While doing laundry, I found a removable strap that had come off one of my summer tops about a week ago, but did not attach it the minute I found it. After misplacing it again, I learned to take care of small details immediately rather than thinking "I'll do it in just a sec" because a million things might happen between right then and later.
Listened to: Honeysuckle Rose
Dinner: We celebrated Son2's birthday with a dinner. My Beloved Sister also joined us and there was a lot of laughter.
Grilled steaks*, baked potato, tossed salad, croissants, cake
Afterward I was able to stream the traditional service. Essentially, I attended without actually going.
This was a laundry and reading kind of day. The skies were gray with low hanging clouds that threatened to rain all day and I was glad to stay either inside or on the screened porch. (Have I ever mentioned how nice porch reading sans mosquitos and under a ceiling fan is?)
What I learned: I learned that the three sons of Herrod the Great were given separate territories to govern. I knew about two of them but had no idea about the third.
Listened to: Brazil
Dinner: We had a late lunch and no one was very hungry.
Grilled cheese sandwich
Read this week: Everyone is Lying to You (quick read)
Dungeon Crawler Carl (this is like intergalactic
Hunger Games, meets A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Have a great week!
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
*You can find Prime steaks at Costco. These were so good I am going next week and getting a few more to stick in the freezer. They were thick enough that TheHub and I each ate only 1/3 of our shared steak. 4 steaks fed 6 of us with enough left over for another meal for 2. Since Son2 was the birthday boy we insisted he take the leftovers home.
It sounds like you had an equally productive/relaxing kind of week. I'm sure it was nice having your son staying with you. We had our wills done last summer and I agree they are the experts so I will listen to them.
ReplyDeleteIt has been nice having Son3 here, especially since he is working most of the time. That way none of us get on the other's nerves by being around each other constantly.
DeleteThe downside of having Son2 (our nearest smart aleck) being privy to our estate plans, is having his quips about every embarrassing moment we have ever had being retold at our funerals. We are also under strict orders to only pass away during cool weather months because no one likes to go to a funeral when it is blazing hot!
Now that is kind of funny.
DeleteInteresting music. I'm more a jazz aporeciator as background music unless live, but enjoyed your selections. I'm happy for you and your extra family time.
ReplyDeleteHonestly I listen to all kinds of music off and on every day.
DeleteI have enjoyed seeing the family, but have missed seeing DIL1 who could not (due to work) make the trip.
I am famous for losing things that are little and just need a moment of my time...
ReplyDeleteI am a master of losing things even if I have not moved from where I was sitting
DeleteYou had a great week! What are palmini "noodles"?
ReplyDeleteIt is a brand name of packaged very thinly sliced hearts of palm
DeleteHow nice to get to spend time with your family. A very good idea to have the executor have an understanding of the terms of your will.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how much stuff are hiding in closets, drawers and cupboards in a bedroom.
The amount of stuff I have accumulated is ridiculous
DeleteIn an effort to find affordable hearing aids, we "joined" Costco a few months ago -- and haven't been back since. (No aids and still waiting on those the VA sent off for repair.)
ReplyDeleteI've no doubt -- with a little planning on my part -- we could save $ but I detest driving into Montgomery.
Driving in Montgomery doesn't bother me. Costco on the weekend is what I detest!
DeleteLove this week's selection of music! That's just the right tempo of music I need to get my housework done! I'm glad you were able to have Son3 home for the week and I wish your Son2 a very happy belated birthday. :)
ReplyDeleteI will let Son2 know about your birthday wishes for him.
DeleteI love gypsy jazz when I need to get my rear in gear. I listen to music all the time and really do plan what I am listening to go with my activity (or inactivity) level.
How lovely to be able to get together with neighbours from your childhood. That's something I'll never be able to do sadly as I would like to see a couple of them but with very common names and nowhere to start it's pretty much impossible. And regarding that strap, for some reason a couple of years ago I adopted the adage "if it takes less than five minutes, do it straight away". I don't know why and wasn't holding out much hope of being impressed, but oddly enough it really works!
ReplyDeleteI am hoping it only took me till I was this age to finally learn to go ahead and take care of simple things.
DeleteYou pack so much into a blog post!
ReplyDeleteDecluttering is good, updating wills is good (if kinda depressing) Family time is real good.
We had not updated in forever and needed to do it now rather than later.
DeleteFamily time is great!