Translate

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Bells Were Ringing


I have mentioned before when I remember it is Tuesday, I try and play along with with Anne@Tuesday 4 by answering the 4 questions she posts each week. This week is all about weddings and such.


TheHubs name is not Bill but this is the first song about getting married that popped into my head and I always go with my first impulse. I had a friend when I was young who had a huge crush on a guy named Bill and she played or sang it all the time. I guess that is why it stuck in my brain. But now, years and years removed from her school girl crush, I like the instrumentation of the song and love Marilyn McCoo's voice.

1. If you are married would you share how your husband proposed to you?
We were married long before the big production proposals. He asked me to marry him and I said yes. I honestly don't even remember where we were. 
How long were you engaged before you got married? About 5 months

2. Did you receive an engagement ring? I am a southern female__of course I did1
Would you show us or describe it for us? I can't show it to you, but I wish I could. It was stolen from a hotel room years and years ago.  I can describe it though. It was a marquis cut solitaire diamond on a plain gold band with my initials engraved on the interior of the band. (We did replace the ring but it is different). Someone either removed the stone or someone, somewhere is wearing a ring with ASH engraved on it. Maybe whoever took it gave it to someone named Ashley? 

3. What kind of wedding did you have?  I had wonderful help with the wedding. I drew the dress I wanted on a napkin because I could not find anything that I liked. Mom and I made it from a sheet first because there was no pattern anywhere like what I wanted for a dress. After all the adjustments were made, Mom made the dress, then hand beaded it. In addition to all the buttons Mom covered for the back of the dress, I had 15 buttons from my grandmother's wedding dress. Mom's next door neighbor made the Juliet cap I wore, and my aunt made poie de soie roses to cover where the veil attached to the cap. 
My aunt had worked as a florist at one time and she did all the flowers for the church, reception and the wedding party. Like everything she ever did they were gorgeous
We were married in my home church with both a minister and a priest officiating. The church has a huge pipe organ and the organist played Baroque music before and after the ceremony. 
I had four attendants, my sister, my cousin, and my two closest friends. TheHub had his brothers, brother in law, and best friend as groomsmen. I guess that would be considered a small wedding by todays standards. There were about 230 guests which sounds like a lot, but both TheHub and I had large extended families, so we were related to many of them.  The wedding itself was simple but it was formal. We had your basic protestant ceremony which lasted maybe 20 minutes, then had a small reception following the ceremony.

 
4.Was there a honeymoon? Kind of. We were very young and still in school. We got married on a Friday night of a bye football weekend. (Yes, we actually planned our wedding based on Alabama's football schedule.)  Monday morning classes meant a very short getaway. In hindsight we probably should have waited until the winter break or even after the spring semester, but we didn't. I am glad we did not though, because it would have totally changed the trajectory of our lives. 
Where did you go how long did you stay?  Atlanta, for a short weekend, then we drove home Sunday night and began our life in married student housing (which is code for apartments slightly larger than a hamster cage). Our place was so small that if you were cleaning the bathroom and someone opened the bathroom door you would be knocked into the tub. Ask me how I know that! To this day I have no clue why anyone would design a teeny bathroom with an inward swinging door.

Thank you for these questions! I dug our wedding photo book out and looked through it. I had not looked at those photos in years. The wedding was lovely but it was just one day compared to the lifetime we have lived together since then.

 

39 comments:

  1. Love how you your mom made your dress with all the special things you mentioned. So how long have you been married? I had to dig out my wedding album too. I was too tired to take new pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been married forever! Decades and decades and decades and more!

      Delete
  2. Your photo leads me to believe it was probably an 80s wedding but the style is classic and timeless. Your mom and your aunt put a great deal of effort in, I like the way families get involved in making a day special. Such a shame your ring was stolen, getting a new one is never quite the same.
    Mostly, it's wonderful to know that you are still together and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think knowing how people pitched in to make the day special is what makes it such a wonderful memory.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I do get a little tickled at some of the bridezillas who believe everything has to be perfect for the wedding. At the end of the day even if everything that could go wrong did , you are still married and it was just one day in the life.

      Delete
  4. So lovely! Your dress is beautiful, and I love how you designed it and your Mom sewed it. Definitely made with love!
    You both look so young in the picture. And the comment about the married housing cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were babies! I would have been horrified if any of my sons had gotten married at the same ages we were.

      Delete
  5. Oh you guys were so young! And beautiful! The wedding dress is very classy and a lot of love must have gone into making it. Wishing you both a happy, healthy and long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very young, and probably not nearly as wise as we thought we were.
      We have already had a long life, but we hope and pray for longer times together.

      Delete
  6. I love the story of your bridal gown! Y'all look so lovely in this photo. You remind me a little of the young Sarah Ferguson ... only more demure. (*grin*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I have never been told I resembled Sarah Ferguson. Mostly I am told I look like Jane X who lives in Birmingham. I think she is a little older than I am but strangers often ask if I am her younger sister.

      Delete
  7. You and your husband look GORGEOUS, but so young! Like my parents before me, I loathe weddings as much as I love marriage. (I got married in the courthouse) but, LOVE wedding dresses, especially unique ones like yours, made with love. I love engagement rings too, and have a beauty, but I haven't worn my bridal set for a good while...can't bear the feel of any jewelry anymore beside my navel ring. (Which is sad, because I have some lovely pieces.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were way too young to get married, but we did anyway. After the theft I opted for just one ring rather than a set, but once again I had to have something I couldn't find, so. . .
      Since Covid and my continual hand washing/sanitizing I could count on one hand the number of times I have worn jewelry.

      Delete
  8. How lovely to have so much help from a talented immediate family!! And you both look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both look like babies. I would like to lie and say we both still look like that but the guy in the photo looks way older now! The young lady in the picture has "blossomed" and grayed.

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, how did I not know your from Alabama? We lived in Tuscaloosa for 21 years and know all to well about planning around football season, grin. Such a lovely dress you had, smiles. I hope you have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep from Birmingham. We are already planning our fall and guess what we are planning around? You have a great day also!

      Delete
  10. That is so sad that your engagement ring was stolen in a motel room. I can’t stand a thief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that it was taken also, but still it was just a thing and things are small potatoes when it comes to what is important.
      I just hope that whoever took it needed to pawn it for cash to feed their children or something else worthwhile

      Delete
  11. It all sounds perfect. Your dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, it was a lovely day and the beginning of a lovely life (not without some warts though) together

      Delete
  12. How lovely you look in your wedding photo and how wonderful that your family all helped to make it a special day. :) My mother gave me her engagement ring and I lost it. She had a replacement one made for me, but, like you say, it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sentimental about many things, but I really hate the original ring left the building. Enough time has passed that I am long over being upset about it. Amazingly the ring itself had nothing to do with our marriage.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful stories of your wedding. I too was what I now would say way too young to get married. I guess life just happens. I finished final classes I needed for teaching when on maternity leave with oldest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think life does just happen and I think there is a certain amount of luck along with it. We were so young statistics were against us ever making it.
      We celebrated our first anniversary with a newborn (his first trip out, except to the pediatrician for his 3 week check) sitting in a pumpkin seat on the table between us.

      Delete
  14. Lovely story and picture. Sounds a lot like us. And yes, your dress is beautiful!! My mother also made my dress. I should have said that in my post. It's fun to look back and remember "when"...somehow we survived all of that even though we were so young! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes remember when is lovely, but I still think the best is yet to come whenever TheHub retires!

      Delete
  15. Why am I not surprised that your wedding was arranged around the Alabama football schedule? The dress is lovely, and your mother must have been quite the seamstress to take a sketch and turn it into the dress you wanted. Very special memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we could not let perfectly good tickets go to waste while we got married could we?
      As long as she had a pattern Mom could make anything. I have crappy sewing skills but I can create a pattern as long as I have some junk fabric to draw it on. So we cut sewed and altered the sheet then had it ready for the poie de soie

      Delete
  16. I made my own wedding dress from a picture on the cover of a bridal magazine. We were married ten months after he proposed, and I did have a solitaire. We were married in my church and had the reception in the fellowship hall. We went to Vicksburg for the honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to post a picture of your dress!

      Delete
    2. My wedding album is in the storage unit. Otherwise, I would. I now weigh twice the weight at my wedding.

      Delete
  17. I love that your wedding was so unique. I think all weddings should be like that, rather than simply items chosen off a "menu."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been an "off the menu" type of person which is not always a great way to be

      Delete
  18. Fun facts! I met Mrs KR in college, but we never dated then. Several years after graduation we did, and, well, the rest is history, as they say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History worked out great for y'all and great for those of us who follow your blog (and occasionally enjoy the libations you suggest)

      Delete
  19. HAHA...I had to drop in on a question series that is hard for me to play with .....I am divorced, almost 30 yrs. ....I do not remember how the ex purposed but I think about three months before we married. Yes, I had an engagement ring. I was a cold band with a single diamond and it interlocked with the wedding band. Married at the court house. No honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as young as we were when we were married that we just got lucky that things worked out.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.