Translate

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Too Hot To Cook

Have you ever seen "Good Morning Vietnam" when Robin Williams talks about how hot it is? Well, trust me, with all the humidity "It's Hot! Damn Hot" is about the nicest thing you can say about the weather.



Hot weather does not inspire cooking at all, so this is going to be a throw it on the grill, in the air fryer, the crock pot, the microwave, or eat it cold type of food plan for the week.

What was planned for last week:
1. Grilled lamb chops, rice or cauliflower rice, green beans, tossed salad
2. Veggie dinner subject to what grows (green beans) and what is on hand
3. Pesto chicken, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, green beans
4. Veggie dinner, subject to harvest, but I know green beans will be served
5. Another veggie dinner, because things are growing__like crazy
6. Takeout
7. Super salad meal (depends on what is growing!)
       
What we ate during the hottest and steamiest week of the year (so far)
Monday: It was hot and we wanted cool stuff
Chicken salad or tuna salad

Tuesday: We had a lot of produce in the fridge so dinner decided itself.
Veggie dinner, okra, sautéed squash, lima beans, tomato cucumber and onion salad

Wednesday: Fortunately one night when the kitchen was cool, I had cooked chicken with pesto sauce, plus I had all the side made. A quick zap in the microwave and dinner was done
Pesto chicken, green beans, caulitato salad, keto peach crumble

Thursday: It was still hot and neither of us were particularly hungry
Chopped salad

Friday: TheHub was craving bbq and we can buy it all over town. Full Moon to the rescue.
Pulled pork plate with collards and coleslaw
                   
Saturday: We made our weekly trip to the produce stand we frequent
Veggie dinner, corn on the cob, leftover lima beans, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers

Sunday: It was still a miserably hot day but we did not want veggies or a salad. This is why I like having a gas grill.
Hamburger with all the fixings

What I think might happen this week 
1. Salad, chopped or garden salad
2 Veggie meal (depends on what is available) green beans
3. Veggie meal, okra and whatever is available, green beans
4. Burger patty, green beans, caulitato salad
5. Grilled chicken, green beans, tomato cuke and onion salad
6. Grilled fish, coleslaw, air fryer keto hushpuppies, green beans
7 Takeout

I guess we will see if it does work as planned. Hope you all have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.




26 comments:

  1. While I certainly don't like the heat, over here we are only just making it into the 70°s???? No idea what's going on but I'm sitting here with a cardigan on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile I am sitting here in a sleeveless tee, shorts with bare feet. Yesterday my feet got hot in flip flops!

      Delete
  2. We usually decide each morning on what we should eat for dinner. It doesn't always happen as planned! I understand the heat and wanting some cool meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to have an idea what we are going to eat for the week based on what I have (Green Beans!!!) I usually change my mind though.

      Delete
  3. This heat here is wreaking havoc on my desire and willingness to cook. If I don't prep something in the morning, then it's a fend for yourself. My son has been eating a lot of sandwiches while I eat salads. Grilling has even taken a backseat though I did make burgers last week. And we don't have the humidity you're dealing with. I'm a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grill is my friend except it has been raining every night when we are getting ready to eat. When I look over the valley out my den window it looks like the valley is on fire. It is actually steam rising from the rain overnight when the sun and heat hit the moisture. It is kind of uncomfortable here.

      Delete
  4. I usually have chicken cooked in the refrigerator, so it is easy to add it to a salad or have vegetables that don't need to be cooked at all, like slaw. Then, I have meatballs and a bag of cooked ground beef in the freezer. The humidity you and I are experiencing is draining if out in it for very long. We Southerners are tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my typical summertime all cotton clothes are not helping this year!

      Delete
  5. The other day I told Tom, I may just smack the first person who says they LOVE summer. We're eating lots of salads and rotisserie chicken. And I'm super thankful for a man who loves to grill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not fun to cook when it is this hot. I try to start any prep in the early morning so the kitchen will not be too hot during the evening. I like summer, but it is far from my favorite time of the year.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good to me, I agree it is too hot to cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I would also think it is too hot to eat!

      Delete
  7. We're looking, as it's been really pleasant weather here. I was in Portland over the weekend, and it was absolutely miserable (100 & humid). We need some quick & easy meals, as the hungry teens are back, attending camps & soccer practices. Things are wild & crazy & busy again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hungry male teens require a lot of fuel and that means a lot of food prep. But enjoy it because time is so fleeting!

      Delete
  8. Funny how I still consume too many calories, hot or cold weather! I'm sing my crock pot a lot this week. Joanne suggested even for things I wouldn't normally use it for. I do have a pie and cake I must bake on Saturday, so will ge tup ealry to do that. I have green bean envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and thee, Sam!
      I use my small appliances when it is this hot just because the kitchen gets so hot when I use the stovetop or oven.

      Delete
  9. I don't like to cook when it's hot, either. Or when it's cold. Or raining. Or snowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha. I know you are not a fan of cooking. I really do enjoy it when it is not this hot!

      Delete
  10. It's heating up, here, too (102F, today), but, I'm OK with cooking (I have a table fan set up on the counter). I cooked some chicken, this afternoon, for some of this week's meals and my daughter will prepare some pork bulgogi, tomorrow. There's leftover cooked ground beef in the fridge, as well. I should try to get back to weekly meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad complaining because I do have central a/c, but I use gas for cooking and it really does put out a ton of heat.

      Delete
  11. An electric roaster can be used outside. I've even baked muffins in it. There were green beans to can last night. It brought to mind the "summer kitchens" that were used to keep the main house from getting overheated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of relatives who lived on farms who had outdoor kitchens specifically for their summer cooking and canning.
      I don't have an electric roaster but the air fryer is my new best friend. I use it primarily as a small convection oven.

      Delete
  12. At this time of the year it's a lot of main course salads for us. Last night was tuna salad with cukes. Tonight it's a big green salad with some tomatoes and cooked chicken that I'm pulling from the freezer. Haven't seen that movie, but I've seen the clip about how hot it was -- really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just too hot, but I will blink a few times and months will pass and it will be too cold for a salad meal!

      Delete
  13. Your menu sounds delicious! I'll come visit for those lamb chops :) Lamb is to me, what beef is to Americans. I wish I could find a place around here that sells good lamb chops, without having to pay an arm & a leg for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy them on sale and freeze them, so I just about always have a rack available. It only cost a half of an arm and leg that way.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.