Translate

Friday, August 13, 2021

Funky Joys

Everyone who reads this blog knows I keep up with the joys I experience each week. Sometimes they are big joys and sometimes they are small, but I keep up with them just the same, and am grateful for them all.  So here are some of the joys I found in the 32nd week of the year!

This is not a recording of the gig on Friday, but was an old one I snagged from Youtube. They did play this song Friday night though,

 Friday: Son3 was performing at a venue in Brooklyn which offers the option of purchasing a ticket for streaming. We really did enjoy the show. It is not the same as being there but it's a great alternative. And after all who does not like a little funk on a Friday night!

Saturday: TheHub and I ran around and did a couple of errands, then had a relaxing day. We ended it by watching the men and women's marathons. It was a good way for us to end the Olympics.

Sunday: My beloved Sister and I held an open house at Mom's. Later Son2 and DIL2 came over for his belated birthday celebration dinner. Since Son2 is not eating sugar, instead of birthday cake, we had Keto ice cream bars. Worked well for me!

Monday: I had some surprising news fairly late at night on Monday. My cousin, S. had a great call from her doctor and wanted to share it with me. S and I were always the closest of all the cousins and spent weekends with each other from the time we were toddlers until we left for college. There is no time of day or night I would not welcome a call from her!

Tuesday: School started here and the sounds of kids playing outside went with it. I love hearing children's laughter and I missed it during the day. I did get a few things done for our upcoming houseguests but it was a pretty uneventful day. I had a phone call from another of my cousins. I always love hearing from her. We are having a family reunion at the end of August and she is planning on coming. I did tell her I am not going and will hate to miss seeing her. She lives in Texas and I generally just get to see her once or twice a year. 
I love my family dearly, but with the rise in the Covid rates here and knowing that several of my relatives do not believe in the vaccination, I am staying at home.
TheHub works in health care and as of this week they reported (to the State Health Department and the CDC)  a 25% positive rate for Covid testing. Back in November ( their highest month) they only had 12% positive. 

Wednesday: My Beloved Sister came over for a swim, but a sudden thunderstorm/downpour squashed that plan. Instead we sat and visited. I thought it would be over in a few minutes and we would head out for a swim but the lightning stayed around for a couple of hours. Oh well, I still enjoyed being with her.

Thursday: What started a boring day turned delightful. First I had a long phone conversation with my friend C. We have known each other since we were in high school, and have maintained a close friendship for decades. 
After it ended I got a few things done, then was surprised when my phone rang again. It was not someone wanting to sell me a car warranty or save me from the police, who were on their way to arrest me, by calling a specific number and giving then God knows what information and money. Instead, it was my friend and fellow blogger Sluggy. What a wonderful person and what a wonderful treat!

So go find your joys. No matter the size there is something joyful every single day! All you have to do is look for it!

32 comments:

  1. I think your week of joys were the ones that make a good life. Family, friends, music-what could be better. I do enjoy thinking about the good more than the things that cause stress. It will get quiet her in a few weeks when I don't hear the kids splashing next door or the kids whooping it up in the playground, but then I'll be back to face my computer screen full on by then as well. I really do mean to get a Zoom meet-up scheduled. Maybe when Sluggy and Kim's cruise is over and we can hear all the shenanigans in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly did get lots of nice phone calls this past week. We are delighted to hear from a friend instead of a scammer or salesperson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get very few calls on my landline that are not sales or scammers

      Delete
    2. Only Tommy's cousin or a doctor calls on his landline. They rest are sales.

      Delete
  3. Love your joys! Glad your cousin had good news, and I'm glad you were able to catch up with friends and family.
    Oh wow, on the positive rate for testing for your state. :( I think we are at 9% for our county and 7% for the state, but it is steadily going up. And the college students are back in town although they were required to be fully vaccinated before returning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the Covid rate for the state is, just for the clinics TheHub's company has.

      Delete
  4. I forgot to let you know on Thursday that your vehicle warranty is expiring soon too! *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  5. A call from the SLugs is always a teat! I mean treat.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the brass! Tho' he no longer plays professionally, my hubby still enjoys his sax and keyboards. Which one is your son?
    Tho' he really (REALLY) wants to visit his kids in Arizona, given the uncertainty of this virus we've put all our plans on hold for the forseeable future. Imagine the dollars we're saving - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a happy weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WONDERFUL joys.
    Here my city has gone into a short (hopefully) sharp lockdown. After no community transmission for over a year we have a few cases of Covid 19. Cases that were out and about while contagious.
    And, sick as it sounds, having the lockdown called early was one of my joys. Hopefully this outbreak will be contained quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a mini lockdown or even a statewide mask mandate!

      Delete
  9. A good week of some very lovely joys! I don't blame you for not wanting to attend the family reunion! You can't be too careful with the Covid surge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surging here and the powers that be are doing very little to mitigate it.

      Delete
  10. I so enjoy reading your joys. Each one brings a smile.

    I sure hope things turn around soon for your state. It's frightening how incredibly contagious this new variant is. So far we're at the low end though there are hot spots in the province, though not nearly at such a high rate as your are seeing.

    Take care, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you stay on the low end of this resurgence !

      Delete
  11. You seem to have had a pretty good week! Yay!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though there was nothing particularly exciting, it was a good week

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a lovely week. The school bell rang in April, after a year of being quiet, and the day I heard it, I got all teary. It's funny how basic things like school & seeing family feel like such a gift after COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is different isn't it. I hate I am voluntarily missing out on our family reunion but I just feel strange about all the hugging and non masking that is going to be going on.

      Delete
  13. I like to hear little kids playing too - you can't beat it! Just a question, in that video on FB of your DIL singing (she has a beautiful voice), was that your son right at the beginning of the clip with the full beard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does all of the arrangements for the other instruments

      Delete
  14. We are having a family reunion, but it will be outside with no hugging. As far as I know most people are vaccinated in the group. I think it will be okay. It's too bad that you won't be able to go to yours this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lovely week, Anne. And a phone call from Sluggy to boot. Can’t beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My son was assigned to play the trombone in 7th grade. He broke his arm a month later. The day after he got the cast off, he broke it again. I jokingly said he broke his arm twice to get out of playing the trombone. I hated helping him empty the spit valve. I assigned that job to the baby. She did not throw up like at did at the sight.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.