Translate

Monday, April 25, 2022

Life and dinner

I am still basing my meal plan primarily on what is found in the refrigerator freezer. This past week I had 4 nights where I did not cook, and that was not planned, but it just happened. C'est la vie. 



What was planned:
Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad
Veggie dinner (tbd based on what is available at the produce stand)
Tamale Pie (Using up the rest of the taco meat), tossed salad
Teriyaki chicken, rice, broccoli, coleslaw
Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad
Out to eat or take out
Grilled steak, tossed salad, rolls

What we really ate:
Monday: I had some leftover taco seasoned beef that I needed to use. 
Tamale pie, coleslaw

Tuesday: Chicken from the refrigerator freezer and a big bag of frozen broccoli were the genesis of this meal. The huge basket of strawberries from the produce stand was the cause for dessert.
Chicken teriyaki, coconut ginger rice, broccoli, strawberry short cake

Wednesday: Freezer to the rescue!
Pulled pork with bbq sauce (this is not real bbq because nothing was slowly cooked or smoked over an open fire) baked beans, caulitato salad, strawberry shortcake

Thursday: I had honestly planned on cooking, but TheHub had a late dinner meeting and I had leftovers in the fridge.
Leftover tamale pie, spring greens

Friday: TheHub ate lunch late and I shared a huge bucket of popcorn while watching a movie with Son2.  We were out anyway and just grabbed something quick.
McDonalds fish sandwich for both of us.

Saturday: TheHub was not interested in having spaghetti or veggies. Instead we bought 4 small ribs from Publix's deli.
2 ribs each and spring greens. We may or may not have bought some peach ice cream. It is not a big temptation for me.

Sunday: Some of our neighbors had a party Friday night and had leftover goodies. They invited us and the couple across the street for dinner on their terrace. 
Assorted salads, sandwiches and dips

What's possibly up?
1. Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
2. Veggie dinner (squash, okra, air fried green tomatoes, coleslaw)
3. Chicken divan, rice, tomato onion cucumber salad
4. Grilled tuna, salad, rice or not (jury is still out)
5. Eat out or take out
6. Garlic butter chicken tenders, tossed salad,
7. Leftovers or takeout, salad or coleslaw

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!

24 comments:

  1. I haven't thought about tamale pie in a long time. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not had one in years (maybe even decades) and it was really good!

      Delete
  2. I love the neighbor get together! We've done that in the neighborhood after graduation parties. I impressed myself with my garlic, spinach, and parmesan sauce tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just not inspired to cook right now. I am being cranky and have no reason to be, but when I am like this I could not care less about making anyone food happy.

      Delete
  3. I love that at least you have a plan, even if it changes. I don't make menu plans in advance, unless it is for something special. But I do kind of plan our meals when I go to the grocery store and see what meats are on special, etc., Then I can plan what we will be eating. Our biggest thing is trying to use up the leftovers in a creative way. I hate to throw out food, but sometimes somethings just can't go another day...it's a challenge. I definitely need to get into a better habit of planning. Thank you for the inspiration. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am generally home sometime during the day, I have whatever is leftover for lunch. We rarely have enough left for another meal, unless it is something like spaghetti sauce or chili and I freeze those for another day.

      Delete
  4. As usual, your week's meals sound more exciting than anything I managed here. Or will manage until the pesky nausea can be subdued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope it leaves you soon. I know it has been a beast for a while.

      Delete
  5. Even if it is not "real" BBQ, the meat and sauce are always delicious, especially if I make cole slaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love smoked pork much better, but the pork had been cooked and frozen and it was fine.

      Delete
  6. I did a good job of eating from the freezer and the fridge. Today, I having a cheese pizza to consume the remaining cheese. Tomorrow, I am hitting the road and will be away for a month and a half. I have a couple of carrots, a small cauliflower and a container of yogurt to take with me. I will come back to a bare fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done well getting rid of your food before traveling! Wishing you safe and happy travels!

      Delete
  7. I get inspiration from others' menu plans. Inspirations doesn't always come to fruition in the form of food on the table! I did a stove top stuffing meatloaf with pasta salad, scalloped potatoes, pickle soup and an oven brisket for the first time. Neighbors joined me for the brisket so I sent some home with them and the rest is in the freezer to be done up with bbq sauce at a later date. Tomato, swiss chard, chickpea simmer on the agenda for supper tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got to let me know how to make pickle soup. We do love pickles here!

      Delete
    2. https://www.thespruceeats.com/polish-creamy-dill-pickle-soup-recipe-1137136
      It was introduced to me by a Polish friend. It's basically a potato soup with added diced pickle and pickle brine. My granddaughters love it. Grandma, may I have more? Will there be more tomorrow? It's always fun when a recipe is a hit.

      Delete
  8. I'd never heard of tamale pie so I looked it up. Looks delicious. Might give it a try (but I'd have to scale down the recipe from 12 portions)! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously scaled our tamale pie down and there was still enough leftover for a lunch and dinner meal for me. It was actually better refrigerated, then rewarmed.

      Delete
  9. I just walked hubs through the fridge and the freezer, so he can cook for himself while I am gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope he manages! Mine would eat out every meal if he had to forage for his own dinner.

      Delete
  10. Your meal plan for the week sounds great! I just pulled out 1 package of sausages (5 sausages) and 1 package of ground turkey - sausages and vegetables (with rice or potatoes) and spaghetti with ground turkey & tomato sauce for the week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep digging through the freezers and I swear food is multiplying in there!

      Delete
  11. Hi, would you mind sharing your coleslaw recipe? I’d love to keep this in my fridge all the time, Thanks! Deb C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Deb though it is not so much a recipe as it is a "how to" I shred a head of cabbage, then mince about half of an onion and a half of a bell pepper. Sometime I shred a carrot, but sometimes I don't. Mix everything is a large bowl and sprinkle about a teaspoon of sugar on it. Meanwhile bring about a cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup oil (I use avocado oil) 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed, and 1 teaspoon celery seed to a boil. Let it cool slightly then pour it over the cabbage mixture. Stir it thoroughly then put it in a bowl with a tight cover and stick it in the refrigerator. It will last about a week. Most of the dressing pools at the bottom so the next week I just put everything in on top of the dressing and mix it well, adding a little more if I need it. Then after two weeks I start with fresh dressing ingredients.
      I do not salt or pepper it, but keep the shaker on the table at meal time and everyone can do their own thing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Most of the recipes I see online have way too much sugar.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.