Translate

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Week 15 Already?

As is my usual, this is the list of joys I had this week. There were more, but these are the highlights.Some weeks we do more than other weeks and some weeks the joys are huge and some weeks are smaller. I guess these posts are sort of like my personal diary. If I am having a blue day I will re-read the previous weeks joys and it usually lifts my spirits, and I love doing the year's joys in review on NYE.



Saturday: TheHub and I did our usual running around on a beautiful, yet chilly day. Once we were through with our errands we came back to the house and did a few chores here before settling in to watch Alabama's softball game. 
Some of you might read this and think I am a sports nut. The truth is, I disliked watching sports intensely when I was younger. I grew up in a female family and Dad was the one who altered what he would like to see in favor of what the"girls" wanted to watch.
 Then I met TheHub who played sports through college and was a big sports fan. I went to games when he played, or to other games he just wanted to see. Thus began my baptism as a watcher of sports.
We got married, had not one, not two, but three sons, all who played sports. Naturally I watched and cheered for them no matter the season or sport, and as time went on my views broadened and I did become a sports fan (OK mainly a University of Alabama sports fan).
Now, because a certain young female who owns my heart is playing softball for the first time, I am partial to the Taquitos and hope to travel to Portland to see her play.

Sunday: The day was much warmer and gorgeous. We were able to plant tomatoes, squash, marigolds   and several herbs, and to add more soil to the lush potato plants
After yard work and showers, we settled in to watch Alabama softball followed by "Billions".

Monday: I try to keep Mondays open with nothing scheduled. For some reason I like having no commitments so I can get things in order for the week. I did a lot of food prep on Monday since I tend to get uninspired for cooking later in the week. 
Veggies were sliced, diced, and chopped to make the weeks meals a little easier. I also made refrigerator coleslaw on to have on hand throughout the week. This is something I do nearly every Monday.  We have either coleslaw or salad with our dinners each night.
After a quick supper we watched Alabama Softball.

Tuesday: I was very excited because the Barbie hair rooting tool and hair for rerooting came via Amazon. I decided I would start rerooting after dinner.

Wednesday: After staying up Tuesday night through Wednesday morning until 4:30 am, I was not so excited the rooting tool and hair came. I possibly bit off more than I can chew. I worked and worked on the Barbie head and still had only two rows of her hair rerooted. It was much more tedious and difficult than it looked on the YouTube videos.  I think watching them is kind of like watching a home improvement show where they build a deck in 30 minutes. Careful editing makes the project seem quickly doable. 
Barbie could have a full head of hair by Christmas__maybe! There is a joy being able to just put it aside while I watch tutorials on how to make a barbie wig!

Thursday: I was very excited to be able to go to Independence Place again. We worked finishing the wildebeest masks for their play. I do love volunteering there and get no greater joy than seeing all of the participants. 

Friday: Following The Great Pollination comes the De-pollination. I do not like the annual job of scrubbing the furniture on the screened porch or washing the walls, screens, ceiling and floors, but the porch and decks are cleaned. I know I will have to do it one more time but at least it will be just rinsing things off rather than dealing with pollen "paste". The big joy is that we can enjoy sitting on the porch in the evenings now. Next up? Dealing with the carpenter bees!

Have a great week and look for your joys no matter how small. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne



23 comments:

  1. I guess all the girly activities are good for you and the g-daughter. I am glad I had not one, but two girls. My son wore me to a nub.

    I have a couple of pitiful Barbies somewhere. I am amazed that Barbie hair can be rerooted. That is a video I must view!

    Isn't it lovely to have trees? In my house, the front door would be open with children coming and going. The stairs which were right inside the door would be yellow before the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having trees and even though the oak and hickory pollen bother my allergies, it is the pines with that thick yellow pollen that coats everything.

      Delete
    2. Anne,
      The trees were part of the beauty of my home. I had several each of oak, hickory, pine. The thing that bothered my allergies the worst was privet hedges!

      Delete
  2. Love your joys.
    My big (albeit very tiring) joy of the week was finally replacing the curtain tracks in the lounge. We can now open and shut the curtains easily again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a huge joy! I am putting off replacing the winter curtains in the den with the summer ones just because it becomes a two person job and I almost have to schedule help instead of saying hey can you give me a hand for a few minutes .

      Delete
  3. When I was a kid, my parents curled and my brother played hockey. I eventually became a huge fan of the former but not so much the latter. Though I will watch the playoffs of most sports. I hope you do get to Portland to see your granddaughter play.

    Lucky you, getting your hands in the dirt. I've got a good 6 weeks here before I get that chance though the tomatoes and marigolds I started indoors will soon need to be transplanted into larger pots.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel pretty safe saying winter is done here. We are now past our 100 year freeze date. One of the tomato plants had blooms on it already.

      Delete
  4. I saw my first carpenter bees this week. Now to figure out where they are nesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to kill them since they are such good pollinators but I can't have them chewing up the deck. I can find where they are nesting but I can't get to it.

      Delete
    2. I had two methods to get rid of carpenter ants--hard water stream with the hose. I was relentless. Or, hornet spray. Both worked.

      Delete
  5. Who would ever have thought that a Barbie hair rooting tool was a thing? Certainly not me, but then I admire your self-belief (insanity?) for taking it on anyway! And lucky you being able to plant out in April. I've got another month before I can do that so my triffids are spreading their tentacles all over my living room still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can plant every year by mid April. Some years earlier even but I never tempt it.

      Delete
  6. House full of girls but we were sports girls through and through. Hubs is primarily a football fan, but funny he never played. Your pouch sounds phenomenal, and a great place to start and end your day. Mines tiny,but I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having my morning coffee there and having an evening beverage there is not so bad either. IN the summer about the only time we sit out there is when we have just gotten out of the pool and are wet. It is too hot to enjoy it regularly then.

      Delete
  7. You pick the best music videos, Anne! This week's biggest joy was the arrival of my fresh Hatch (chili) on dry ice this afternoon. We're watching the football game from Birmingham now ... supposing y'all are tuned in, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just pick the first song that jumps into my mind when I start writing the post.
      We did not watch the game. Instead we were listening to Alabama/ Miss. State softball, then we watched the rest of the Arkansas/Ky game.
      There was a fly over right before the game began and our neighborhood was buzzed by 4 low flying jets,. Scared me until I figured out what they were doing.

      Delete
    2. Could that be what I heard over me? It scared me, but Tommy said it was just planes landing.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely week with lots of wonderful joys! I do hope you get to watch a certain young lady play softball on your next visit to see her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see her play but I doubt I will make it out there. We are suppose to drive to NYC to take stuff that SOn3 and DIL3 wanted from Mom's house. I am tired of it being here!
      Pip is coming to Alabama in early June so I will get to spend time with her then.,

      Delete
  9. You live such a rich and full life, Anne. I enjoy reading your list of joys. You’ve described living in the south so perfectly with the pollen and carpenter bees. They do follow each other every year. Very interesting to read how you became a sports fan. My brother used to watch the Chicago Cubs play baseball back when we were growing up, so I became a fan because of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was either jump on the sports boat or be left on shore!

      Delete
  10. Funny thing about my family is that, the women were into sports more than the men. My grandma watched basketball and football (soccer in your neck of the woods). She claimed it was out of boredom but, we all knew she loved it. My SIS played volleyball for 8 years. She quit but mom got hooked to it. She liked going to the games when she could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly my grandmother was a huge Braves baseball fan and watched every game she could. She would write letters to the owner telling him if he wanted his team to play better they should all shave and get a haircut.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.