Translate

Saturday, April 2, 2022

The Joys of the Written Word

The 13th week of the year has come and gone and we are now in the beginning of April. It seems like just a month ago we were toasting the New Year, and now we are a quarter of the way through. How is it possible for time to go by so fast, other than that mathematical percentage of the time your day takes relative to the number of days you have been on earth. But I only do checkbook math so I can't be bothered with it, other than to say the year is spinning by. So few days of the year left, and so many books on my reading list! 



 Saturday: This turned out to be a really fun day. TheHub and I began the day with breakfast and conversation. We both did a couple of quick tasks before getting ready to run out. 
The day was drop dead gorgeous, perfect long sleeve weather, with heavy winds. If I had been wearing a wimple I could have pretended I was the flying nun.
Last week we drove to the nearby truck farm produce stand, but they were not there. They are only open from spring until the first frost. We decided to try them, expecting they would not be there until the first of April. But lo and behold, there they were. Their farm is not producing yet, but they have a couple of farmers in Perry Florida who supply them with crops that are not growing here yet. I was so excited to get 5 vine ripe perfect tomatoes, some small cucumbers, and summer squash. Additionally they had ferns, mandevilla, and hibiscus. Every year I get a mandevilla and train it to climb up the handrail to the upper patio. I get a hibiscus and Boston fern for the front porch. I did come home with the fern and will go back Thursday to get a different color hibiscus and mandevilla. They only had yellow and I wanted red, hot pink, or salmon. Their prices were great and the plants were beautiful, plus I love doing business with them.
After we left there we drove to my all time favorite plant shop, Myers Pottery and Plants. I salivate just walking through there. We left with a Gerbera Daisy, a double begonia, and some assorted herbs. I will go back in a few days if the Meyer lemons are delivered. 
A couple of quick errands later we returned home to watch Basketball. I was pulling for Houston and Arkansas today. Both lost but I will be watching St. Peter's tomorrow and cheering from the den.
I still have company coming, and still did nothing to get ready for them!

Sunday: I read___a lot! Company is still expected on Tuesday and I did little nothing to get ready for them. Well I actually did vacuum up a mess I made in the den, so I guess that counts as something! Instead of cleaning, I watched St.Peter's lose to whomever they were playing, and then I watched Billions. If they gave out a prize for procrastination I would win every time.

Monday: I woke looked around the house at everything that needed to be done. I did actually clean the powder room and thought about heading upstairs to get the room ready, but then my book started screaming at me, so I caved in and read. I did stop to prepare potatoes for potato salad and I made shortcakes for dessert on Tuesday, but did I get ready at all? The answer to that is nope!

Tuesday: I woke up in a panic because I was having guest to spend the night and had done little nothing to get ready for them except to put together a couple of things to eat. The baked beans were in the crockpot doing their thing and I did manage to wash and change the bed linens, put out fresh towels, and clean the adjoining bath.
After that I halfway got the table ready for dinner, and then read for a couple of hours. I had to panic all over again because time for them to get here was approaching and I had still not had a shower, nor swept and mopped the kitchen. I did sweep and mop, got clean and gussied up (put on clean clothes and a nickels worth of makeup), turned on Motown music, and waited for the doorbell to ring (Even though it is a stupid Ring doorbell and doesn't ring. Instead it "talks" and says "someone is at your door". Technology at its finest, right? Because before I had the Ring I never realized when the doorbell rang "ding, dong" that someone was at my door.😐)
And who was standing there? Sluggy and Mr.Slug. They were returning home from their big trip west, and stopped to have dinner and spend the night with us. Total joy! It was so good to see them again!

Wednesday: Sluggy and Mr. Slug left Alabama headed toward home and I was left with a perfect gift. A plaque saying "Well Bless Your Little Heart" It had been slightly altered to be just perfect for me!😇
I read then read some more. This Libby app could be my downfall!
The Great Pollination had not yet peaked, but was close. The day was fiercely windy and every time the winds blew a huge yellow "cloud" of pollen blew across the yard. It pretty much signaled zero time outdoors for me.
And then he rains came and washed the nasty yellow stuff into the drains, creeks, and rivers.

Thursday: This was a gorgeous slightly cooler day made even better by getting to visit with my DIL.
Once our visit was done I messed with the Barbies I bought for restoration projects when Pip is here.  Now I have taken the hair off two heads and have a wig cap made for one of them. My next step is to remove their painted faces. I want to have them completely ready for whatever she wants to do with them.
Since I spent my afternoon playing with dolls, I had nothing ready for dinner. We ran out to pick something up and were rewarded with a view of a butter colored western sky.

Friday: The day came and the day went. It was a gorgeous day, but unfortunately the pollen was back in full force. My dark blue car which was clean the day before was covered in yellow "dust".
My productivity was near zero, unless you count reading a book as being productive. To me reading is sheer joy and that is what this list is supposed to be about anyway, so maybe my day was filled getting something joyful done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
After TheHub got home from work we ran a couple of quick errands then came home and watched "Death on the Nile". It was decently interesting and the scenery alone was worth the time investment.

And that about sums up my week's joys. It was a good week filled with friends and books. What could be better?
Have a great week finding your joys, no matter how large or small they are.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne






19 comments:

  1. Tell Sneaky Jorge I said Hey! Lovely time with lovely friends....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneaky Jorge misses y'all and has plans for the next visit!

      Delete
  2. Reading counts as being productive. Surely, it must be. The pollen is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you had the best time seeing Sluggy and Mr Sluggy. When are we going to plan that centralized meet Up- summer 2023? I look forward to roadside stands and farmers markets. Now I want a tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer 2023 sounds good to me!
      I think we are going to have BLT's one night next week.

      Delete
  4. Friends, books (and a little less pollen) sounds pretty close to perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably have about another week and a half of intense pollen and then it should be done! The books will continue though!

      Delete
  5. There's not much better than good friends and books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your "totally unprepared house" is an absolute joy. And in any case, good food always trumps clean floors. But lucky you getting fresh tomatoes. I won't be buying any until around June as they taste like plastic until we can grow them ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some more today and they look just as delicious as the ones I bought last Saturday.

      Delete
  7. I do enjoy reading but find I prefer to do it outdoors or in the sun room so when the weather is cold I don't read as much. Perhaps it is the lighting?

    Your week sounds perfectly lovely. I suspect your friends would have had no idea you procrastinated in tidying...unless you told them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you could kind of tell, since things were neat and relatively tidy but I got no deep cleaning done.

      Delete
  8. How nice to have beloved guests! I take my kindle to work so I can read anytime I have a few minutes to spare. I'm also thinking about getting out some of my Barbies and taking them to work. They can appear in different spots on my desk and change their clothes every now and then.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip wants me to root one of the Barbie's with hair the same color as hers and to repaint the eyes so they will be green to match her features

      Delete
  9. That sounds like one of the best weeks, ever! Time spent reading and having friends visit is precious and filled with joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you were able to get roadside produce. That is one of my favorite things about this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.