Translate

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Finding Joys

Once again I am listing the joys I had this week. No matter how you slice it some weeks are just better than others. This week was filled with sunny warm days, the leaves are turning beautiful colors, I got to do some things I love to do, and it is still warm enough to wear flip flops! 
And now it is officially holiday season. I have started playing Christmas music, watching (actually listening to as I do chores) an occasional Hallmark movie, and even had a couple of cups of hot spiced tea at night. The thermometer might say 80 degrees but my mind says holidays are here.



Saturday: We did our usual running around in the morning then decided to do something a bit different. Alabama had no football game so we decided to have lunch at a wings joint/ sports bar and have fun watching fans of other teams enjoy the games. I think they had 7 games on multiple tv’s. It is fun to clap and cheer along with the crowd when you have no dog in the hunt. And trust me, they were cheering just like they were in the stadium watching the games.
Later in the day Son2, DIL2, and TGS came by our house. They had been in the our area of town watching DIL2’s niece in her school play. I always love seeing them, but wish I had known. I would have loved seeing L.in her role as Morticia.

Sunday:  Woo hoo! The Broadway series began this week We have had tickets for years and have slowly gotten better and better seats. I was not very excited when I saw Anastasia was scheduled for this year and debated not renewing. After a bit of thought we realized it was just one show in the season and by not renewing we would lose our seats.  I went ahead and re-upped our tickets.
We both had low expectations. My Beloved Sister  AKA St (Insert her real first name here) Patron Saint of the Perpetually Underwhelmed and Disgruntled, had changed her theater date and now sees the shows the day they opened.  She had told me it was just so-so, and like an idiot I trusted her judgement.
She was wrong! It was visually stunning with incredible sets and costuming. The talent was also wonderful. Note to self: Don't listen to St. (Insert her real first name here). Leave your doubts behind and just enjoy the experience. 

Monday: Halloween was near perfect here. It was warm enough that all the little fairies and princesses were able to have their shoulders bare without getting cold, but temperate enough that none of the bulky super heroes broke a sweat.
I got the following message from my neighbor: "Glad you are safe tonight." Then she sent the following cartoon.

Who says it doesn't pay to be known throughout the neighborhood as "The Big Candy Bar Lady".

Tuesday: The Halloween decorations came down and a few (very few) Day of the Dead decorations went up.
My Beloved Sister came over so we could do a little business, laugh, drink coffee, and of course eat chocolate.
After TheHub came home from work we went to Costco. 6:00 on a Tuesday evening is just about the perfect time to get there. The store was not too crowded, and we did not have to wait in line for self checking. I did buy one impulse item that I absolutely could (and could not) live without. I guess we will see if what my mind thinks it will look like and reality intersect. Fingers crossed it will.
Once we finished our monkey business at Costco we drove to the Pita Cafe for a Camel Racer, tabouli, and tea. I like going to locally owned small places.

Wednesday: I woke early and was out of the house quickly. I had several errands that needed to be done before my class. Success! After getting everything completed I was  still about 15 minutes early. A "new to the group" woman was there and we spent the time getting to know each other better. 
We had only about half of the participants there this week, but we still had some lively discussions, plus is is great to be back in the routine of going regularly. 
After the class was over I still had a few errands to do before heading home. Don't you love it when you find what you were looking for at the first place you stop. 
My cousin had called while I was at the beach and I had not returned her call, so I called her while I was on my way home.  (To be honest I forgot about her call.) 
I was so engrossed in our conversation* I missed the turn toward my neighborhood and decided it was the Universe's way of telling me I really needed to go to Jim and Nick's and pick up a BBQ sandwich for lunch and buy 4 of their cheese biscuits for dinner. 

Thursday: I was so excited because I was able to volunteer at Independence Place. In addition to painting  an elephant and an elephant skull and bones for the elephant graveyard, I was able to see some of the rehearsal scenes for The Lion King. I am always my happiest when I am there.
When I got home I did a few odd jobs, talked with another cousin, then settled in to watch more episodes of "A Friend of the Family". Disturbing is an understatement.

Friday: Is there joy in doing laundry other than getting it done? Evidently I had let it go for quite a while since I had 3 full loads of nothing but towels, not to mention all the clothes that needed a little TLC. I have no excuse other than I just didn't do it. But I got it done, folded and put away or hung in the closet. I only iron on demand, so things hang wrinkled until I am going to wear them, then I run and press them quickly. Another laundry related joy is that I have a laundry room large enough that my ironing board can stay up 24/7.
TheHub called to see if I wanted to go out for dinner. Sure! But then I got Shanghaied. After dinner he wanted to go shopping for clothes. As I have said before__I hate shopping. When I need something I go to buy, not to look, mull over and leave to think about it. I spent some unpleasant time waiting while he tried on clothes so I could tell him if they looked good or not. He is a guy. He wears pants ( khaki, navy or black). They either fit or they don't. Guy pants look like every other pair of guy pants and do not need outside approval for purchase.
I did strong arm him and told him to go ahead and purchase the things he liked rather than to leave, think about them, then go back tomorrow to buy. (Self preservation on my part. There is no way in Hell I could go to a department store two days in a row)

Look for your joys for the week. They are always out there, even if you have to hunt for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne



*I may have taken a few liberties claiming I missed my turn by being engrossed in the phone conversation. I was craving BBQ, mentally debating between going to Full Moon or Jim and Nick's. I knew if I went to Full Moon I would cave and buy 3 of their absolutely delicious Half Moon cookies (see below)  and would eat them all. Jim and Nicks won by cookie default!

25 comments:

  1. Yay for a week filled with joys. I don't think I could have passed on those cookies, they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cookies are so good and I cannot resist them if they are here.

      Delete
  2. I was always horrified when my ex shopped for himself! He actually came home with a pair of jeans with elastic waist. He did have sort of a bubble butt, but this pair had gathers that made it look much bubblier.
    In Cullman, I would stop by Jim n Nicks for a bbq and felt like I had died and gone to heaven. I think I need another one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the cartoon but maybe I shouldn't since I give out the mini treats. Oh well, I made it through this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, glad you were safe. I take no chances (or I really do love the look on their faces when they realize they are getting a whole candy bar)

      Delete
  4. Love Jim and Nicks in Ttown! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! My Madison used to watch that show all the time! I am actually singing the theme song in my head now! And I hear you on the shopping. I literally hate stores and malls and shopping. I always have. Have a cozy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been standing behind the door when the shopping gene was passed out because I can't stand department stores or malls.

      Delete
  6. I can't remember the last time I was in a department store. Ugh! Thankfully, b/c Tom wears a size not usually found he's happy to let me do the ordering on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I can remember when, and it was Friday!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like that you had a great week. The cartoon was fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like shopping either, and my husband asks me to go clothes shopping with him, also. Good thing he doesn't buy a lot of clothes or we would have to rethink our shopping trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub does not go shopping often, but when he does he can't trust himself to pick out his own clothes. I don't think he has ever gone shopping with me, probably because I don't want him with me.

      Delete
  9. Those cookies look amazing. And, loved the comic. My 15 year old made me take him to the shops to get pants today. To be fair, he's grown taller, lost weight (so much puberty), and it's now cold & he can't wear shorts. But, I also hate shopping. I'll shop online, but in person?? But, he's impossible to shop for online. 28x33? Yeah.... hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with a teen going shopping with a parent is mostly necessity, especially if the parent is footing the bill! Do you wind up buying 34's and having them hemmed?

      Delete
    2. Some of the teen geared stores actually offer the 33s. For this trip, we opted for pants that were too big in the waist, but manageable, to get the extra length. We picked up pants that are more of a traditional cargo pants material, but in a jogger cut. They would look ridiculous on anyone other than a teen, and are at least cut in more of a slim fit. He also requested swim trunks with flamingos on them. With a 5" rise. Oh my. Shopping with him is such an adventure. Sam, meanwhile, wears whatever I bring home from Costco. His only clothing request of the year was "a hoodie, and not in black." Done, and done.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a week full of joys, both big and small. :) Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, you're already playing Christmas music???? I would tear my hair out!!!! But it's weird even now hearing how folk in the US go shopping as and when they feel like it. Over here, if you're not done by 19.30h on a week night you've had it. And as for Sunday shopping - ha, only supermarkets are open for four hours on a Sunday morning. I found it weird when I moved back to Europe but you get used to it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually would not mind a return to no shopping on Sundays with the exception of groceries.

      Delete
  12. (Little Penpen) That cartoon is hilarious and suits you well. 🤣 sounds like a great week. Those cookies look delicious and I love cheese biscuits. That missed turn served you well!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.