Translate

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Joys and a Tear or Two

(Oops. we had a busy day and I just now am getting around to posting this)

Son1 and DIL1 asked us a while back if we could come to Portland to keep Pip while they had a weekend getaway. Of course we said yes! When we get a chance to see Pip we are above and beyond excited. Our aim is to let her have as much fun as possible, so when we are not with her she can remember the good times. I would hate for her to grow up and forget about us. We try to do things she like to do, including staying with her at a hotel instead of her house, so she get a vacation too.



Saturday: We were with Pip which is enough joy. Her good friend came to the hotel to swim with her. When they finished swimming, they went to our room to have pizza and play some more before S's mom came back to pick her up. 
After her friend left we did some Christmas crafts, then we watched a Disney zombie show. I had no idea zombies are not only good, but they are also excellent cheerleaders.
Pip was tired so we did nothing the rest of the night, but doing nothing while being with her is bliss.

Sunday: We woke and went to breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Portland had a big anime convention going on and we were able to see all kinds of costumes. I am impressed at the lengths some of the attendees  go to with their costumes. People watching took on a whole new meaning!
We went to Son1's house and Pip and I did more Christmas crafts while we waited for her parents
DIL1 and Son1 came home and we visited with them until about 3 1/2 hours before our flight home. (Insert a little sadness here)
 After gassing up the rental car and turning it back in we arrived at the airport check in just in time to witness a little disturbance. It seems an extremely inebriated guy was refused his flight, an he just was not having it.
I have to give kudos to the airport security who handled it very well, called the guy a cab and got him out of the airport over his loud protests. 
Red eye flights are not fun for those of us who cannot sleep on a plane!

Monday: We got back into town a little after 8 am, showered, started doing laundry (TheHub went to work) and began another routine day. Nothing much happened, I was very tired and after a very brief nap managed to stay awake until fairly late. My aim was to maintain my regular sleep pattern.

Tuesday: I did sleep later in the morning than I usually do, but I was up by 9 and ready to go. The day was pretty uneventful until the evening. We knew we were going to a Parkinson's event and to be honest I was dreading it, but the evening turned out to be a lot of fun. A bonus was that we did get one of the auction items we wanted. 

Wednesday: I went to my regular Wednesday class, then did a little cherry picking. 

Thursday: My Beloved Sister and I finally got to meet our mutual friend C for lunch. She lost both her husband and more recently her mom and has been a bit of a hermit lately. It was wonderful to see her and most of all to see her laugh.

Friday: It was cold and I baked a few different kinds of cookies. Enough said! As a bonus I got our winter bedding out, and replaced the sheets with Christmas ones. It is a little early but I was going to change the sheets anyway so why not go ahead and make it look a little festive?

Look for your joys, however small. They are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne




35 comments:

  1. How I love your joys - and the reminder to look for my own. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at your photos shows me so many joys you have!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you got to spend the weekend with Pip! I'm sure she will not forget time spent with her grandparents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way to have fun with Pip, build those memories. I'm sorry for such a fast turnaround. May e next time they get away, you could add days even if your husband can't? I'm sorry for your friend. It's nice she has good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had such a great weekend with Pip. I remember visiting my grandparents in the summer and on the day of our departure, grandma and I would always cry. The memories with grandparents are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did cry but not until we left. I did not want her to remember any sadness at all.

      Delete
  5. Glad that you had fun with Pip making memories. I'm sure she will remember all the good times.
    My son and his gf like to cosplay so I have been to a few cons. It is definitely fun to people watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The costumes were anywhere form so-so to outright spectacular. I was impressed with all the creative thought that went in to them.]

      Delete
  6. So sorry for your friend C...hope she feels a bit better with the company of two good friends. It's great that you got to spend some time with Pip. I love to bake sweets when it's cold, but nobody eats them :-// it has been more than 5 years since I last had a cookie LOL...not fancy for sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a cookie (or 2, maybe 3 but no more than 4) yesterday!

      Delete
  7. It's great that you got to spend time with Pip. I remember fondly times with my grandparents. Must be something in the air because I baked cookies too! Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son3, DIL3 and their friend are coming for Thanksgiving and will be here from Tuesday- Monday. I am trying to get some things (Like making cookies) done ahead of time.

      Delete
  8. So glad you got to see Pip! My newborn grandbaby has RSV and I am very distraught. Daughter is a RN so taking good care of her tho. I can hardly wait to see both grandbabies when I fly out over the holidays. Well, I hate flying but we do what we have to do to see grandchildren, even if fast trips and it involves red eye flights! I so understand! Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I hope the baby recovers quickly. This has been an awful year for RSV

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great time. And yes, joy can always be found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joys are everywhere even if they are teeny tiny joys.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea to go to a hotel with Pip. Sounds like a fun time and she will definitely remember it. Unlike when we were kids, long distance grandparents have the benefit of video visits these days. Those help keep the connection strong and I know you are doing that with Pip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a good idea for her to have a "vacation" also.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you had such a lovely time with Pip - albeit very short. And like you say, kudos to the airport staff for getting the drunk out of there. One job I know I could NEVER do is customer service. I would get so flustered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have not been as patient as those guys were, especially with the drunk dude filming them and yelling about his rights being violated.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you had some time with Pip - it sounds like lots of fun was had. Hopefully your next vehicle will be lengthier.
    Picking cherries? I'll trade you for shovelling some snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next visit will be longer. Once TheHub retires we plan on getting a furnished apartment out there on a part time basis.

      Delete
  13. So happy that you got time with Pip! How wonderful. My parents are actually meeting us at the PDX airport, and taking the boys for two nights, while M & I go to a hotel on the Vancouver waterfront. It's M's surprise Christmas gift. They have cute tasting rooms & restaurants there, and it gives us time together, and my parents bonus time alone with the kids. Everyone is jazzed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a fun whirlwind trip. I am amused that she likes to stay in a motel for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved staying there, but we stay at that same hotel every time we visit so she is familiar with it. It has a great indoor pool and a nice restaurant. Plus we ordered room service one night and she thought that was the bomb.

      Delete
  15. Making memories is the BEST!! Glad you seemed to have a lot of joys this weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful but I am really missing her this week.

      Delete
  16. I love how, even across the miles, you're making an effort to be part of Pip's life. I grew up only seeing my grands maybe 8-9 times. It wasn't a big deal at the time, but now I regret never really knowing them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FaceTime helps a lot, but we have a lot of making up for the covid years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. how sad for your friend to lose her husband and mum. so tragic. glad to see you could get away; i don't think i can face flying - probably ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had rather not fly, but to see my granddaughter I will whenever I can.

      Delete
  19. So happy you got together with your friend for some laughs as they are the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.