Translate

Monday, February 6, 2023

January Challenge Is Done! What's Next?

I finished the challenge for January without shopping for anything but produce and bread with a couple of exceptions. I did buy 2 Aldi seasonal items. (I've learned if you see something seasonal to go ahead and get it because most likely it will not be there the next shopping trip) I also bought 6 cartons of sale priced mushrooms, which were dehydrated and now live in a Duke's mayonnaise jar. 
TheHub bought ice cream for the brownies and also a 6 pack of ice cream sandwiches the night of the 31st. And yes I did eat some of each, cause even though I might have a food use/ no shopping mission, I am not stupid.


Now that February is here, I will lighten up on the produce and bread only rule, but I am still planning to only use proteins from the freezer. Even after using food storage for the month, I still have a gigantic food inventory here. So my rule for February (Following The Hawaii Planner's tip) is to use a minimum of 5 items from the freezer each week.
Any food I list as used  will come from storage and not be something I bought during the week.

Monday Meals
Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: avocado, cabbage. tea
Dinner: honey garlic chicken over risotto, coleslaw
Snack: sourdough toast with jelly

Tuesday Meals
Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: Peanut butter, graham crackers, tea
Dinner: "hamburger"with all the fixings, hash browns

No longer posting the full days meals, back to dinner meals only

Wednesday: TheHub and I got home at about the same time, and I had nothing planned for dinner. He stopped at Publix and picked up a fried chicken breast for him and a thigh for me. I cobbled the rest of the dinner from pantry items.
Fried chicken, potato salad, stewed tomatoes and okra

Thursday: I was feeling really rotten and when I feel really bad I love either hot and sour  soup or tom yum soup. The Chinese place is a tad closer than the Thai one, so hot and sour won.
Hot and sour soup, dumplings (take out)

Friday: I was hungry but was having a hard time tasting anything, so I rode through the drive through with The Hub to pick up something a tad spicy.
Tacos from Taco Bell (Thankfully I could at least feel the heat from the taco sauce)

Saturday: TheHub had gone to a fundraiser and I was not really hungry.
Chicken noodle soup and crackers

Sunday: I was still not feeling well so we went the Chinese route again
Hot and Sour Soup


Bought  for the week (before Feb 1)
hamburger buns
ice cream sandwiches
bananas


Used for the week (After Tuesday the listings will only include existing pantry or freezer items)
From the freezer:
1 cooked chicken breast
1 pack Impossible Beef
2 hash brown patties

From the refrigerator
John's slaw dressing
butter
soy sauce
jelly
mustard
ketchup
mayonnaise
dill slices
pickle relish

Produce
cabbage
avocado
1/2 bag coleslaw
garlic
lettuce
mushrooms
1 onion

From the pantry
honey
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
olive oil
mushroom risotto pack
sourdough bread
canned tomatoes and okra
peanut butter
graham crackers
canned potatoes
chicken noodle soup

The concept of using five freezer items per week got derailed since I felt bad and did not really cook__at all.

Planned freezer uses for this week***
1 pack pork al pastor
1 pack browed ground beef with onions
2 tuna steaks
carton frozen chili
1 pack chicken
1/2 bag Brussels sprouts

*** No clue how I will use any of these yet, but I did already take some things out of the freezer this morning to thaw.

And as usual, if anywhere has stellar meat/chicken or fish deals, I will buy it and freeze it. Judging from the ads the past few weeks, I am not counting on it.




30 comments:

  1. The ads have been awful for a few weeks. And, once again, today the pink bags were not thrown! So, I really don't know what the week will bring on the front for deals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used up an item from the freezer today ( from my "hard to use up" list) & you'd think I'd discovered a $10 bill on the street, I was so pleased with myself. Apparently, it's the little stuff. ;-)

    Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely want to see more of your sourdough creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you. I hope you are feeling much, much better. I am doing my best at 'eating down' our freezer. Himself is doing his better best at keeping it full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have told TheHub there can be no frozen foods brought into the house ( with the exception of his ice cream ) until the freezer is half empty.

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling better, now. I like your plan to use 5 items from the freezer each week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better this morning and actually managed to sleep in the bed last night and could still breathe.

      Delete
  6. Love Tom Yum soup, especially when I have a sinus cold! I get it from Pearl Garden in Northport. Hope you are feeling much better. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tom yum also. I might even try and make some this week.

      Delete
  7. Hope you’re feeling better, Anne. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this morning was a turning point. I woke feeling much better and my cough has really lessened.

      Delete
  8. Great job!! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on sticking to your plan. Do you ever have your freezer only half full? You usually just tell us about how full it is. Or do you only mention how full it is when it is so full that it bothers you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told I usually keep a well stocked freezer, but for the first time in a long time I have not been turning the frozen foods over. Rather than lose it I decided I had to take some serious steps to use it. I also need to defrost it and it is much easier to do when it is not so full.
      I love to have it about half full when produce starts coming in, so I can freeze veggies to have through the fall, winter and early spring. Right now I have no room for anything else.

      Delete
  10. I hope you feel better and can taste your creations. Because of you, I've used up some items from my freezer.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten a bit of taste back. I know because I tested myself with peanut butter cookies!

      Delete
  11. We've no room for a freezer, but gosh, you make me want to find (or repurpose) a spot. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sissie has gone through my food storage and freezers, and I am allowed to buy nothing. I did not even know you were doing a food challenge see where my mind has been. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I am glad it is over but I still have so much to use.

      Delete
  14. I have successfully eaten down the snack cupboard ( too many cracker biscuits and half finished bags of nuts ) and have made a little progress on the cereal cupboard (suddenly everyone is eating eggs for breakfast and left behind the high protein oats they requested)
    The fridge and freezer are another story, a permanent problem.
    This sickness has given you a run for your money. I hope you soon feel better and get back to living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea how hard it would be to eat down our food storage without resorting to sheer gluttony.
      I am feeling better. Still not shaken it, but I feel better.

      Delete
  15. What is avocado cabbage tea? LOL Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on completing the challenge! You are so organized! Glad you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to complete it, and am still continuing to use food from storage.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.