Translate

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Joy of Feeling Better

The 7th week of 2023 started out with me coughing and feeling tired and then Monday afternoon came and it felt like someone had flipped a switch. All of a sudden I felt like myself,  just a tad less energetic than normal. I was so happy to feel good again. 



Sunday: I was feeling much better with the exception of coughing my foolish head off. I am very thankful  for Maebeme from My Life, My World . A year or so ago she mentioned a specific cough syrup, Buckleys, which can be found in Canada, or sometimes from Amazon. She mentioned how bad it tasted (like you are taking a spoonful of ammonia mixed with liquid skunk) but also mention how well it works. It is much easier to take when you have no sense of smell or taste, but it did work well to tame the cough for a while.
The devil cough syrup would quiet my cough for about an hour and then it was back full force .
I skipped going to church because I figured no one would like to sit around someone who sounded like I did, and while TheHub was there I started getting Super Bowl treats made.
We watched the game and were both disappointed  The Eagles did not win, but it was a great spectator game anyway.

Monday: I stayed home, not to stay away from anyone, but because I didn't have anywhere I really wanted to go. Instead of cleaning the house getting ready for weekend houseguests, I read. Oh well, I thought maybe I would clean the house Tuesday.

Tuesday: Instead of cleaning I remembered I was supposed to be back at my happy place. I painted a giraffes, neck,  a hippo, and assorted bit and pieces of other African animals for the upcoming play. It was go good to be back!
I was late getting TheHub a Valentine's card and stopped at the store on my way home from IP. I already knew I was making a Valentine's meal complete with champagne, but you have to have a card, right?
I could not find one that said what I wanted to say until I found a Spanish card with the English translation on the back of the card.  Of course I bought it, (neither of us speak Spanish) said nothing about the translation and gave it to TheHub. Naturally since sarcasm is my native language, I signed it, "And I mean every word".   After we laughed about it I did tell him to turn it over.

Wednesday: I had to skip my class because I had missed helping with the play costumes and props the week before while I was sick. There was still a lot to get done, so I went. My greatest joy of the day was interaction with one of the participants J.  On most occasions his verbalization is one syllable which is usually "fine", when asked how he is. Wednesday he was playing the music to Mario Cart and I asked him if he liked to play. His response to me was "Play Mario Cart__At Home". Play Mario Cart__At Home", which is about the equivalent of a full conversation with some of the other participants. After that he reached out and gave me a hug, which he has never done. He is pretty touch averse unless he is trying to get someone to go walk with him, so I was overwhelmed.
When both TheHub and I got home we decided to go out to eat and watch the Alabama basketball game at a little local joint. I enjoyed dinner, but realized that we needed to scoot home and watch the game there. I know at home TheHub yells at the refs, I just did not realize he would be so vocal in a restaurant. It was not really a yell, but was a loud statement of displeasure. Won't do that again unless we are in a sports bar.

Thursday: This should have been the day for me to get ready for houseguests, but I had a digital library book that was about due to be returned and it had 3 people waiting for it, so there was no option to renew. Obviously, instead of cleaning I had to read.

Friday: I woke and thought about cleaning the house, but then I thought I really needed to read a little more because I only had 6 hours left on the library book loan, so I read a while, then started cleaning the upstairs, putting on the sheets that had been washed and put away from the last guests to use them. This is one of those rare visits when I would be needing all four extra beds. So there was a flurry of bed making, and general cleaning, except for the bathrooms. For some silly reason I like to do those right before guests get here. Anyway the upstairs was done with the exception of vacuuming and the bathrooms.

Saturday: TheHub and I went to get our passport photos taken. When we saw them we kind of laughed at the people who looked so much older than our last photos. How did that happen???
We did a minimum of running around, then came home  for me to start getting the main floor in company shape, while TheHub did a project outside. Later in the evening we watched the Alabama/Georgia basketball game. (I mistakenly thought the guests would be here Saturday. I was wrong )

Look for your joys, they are always there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


25 comments:

  1. Well, your house is clean. Some of the cleaning lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downstairs will last for a few days until we mess it up again. Washing sheets begins as soon as the guests leave.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better, Anne. Don't work too hard again...cleaning can wait till you are fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, but I kind of have to get things cleaned. I possibly have more houseguests coming in Wednesday night.

      Delete
  3. I know why you do bathrooms last minute - because it only takes one or two uses before a bathroom is not quite fresh.
    I'm glad you're doing so well and I like the idea of buying a card in Spanish if it says what you want it to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like it to be ready for company.
      TheHub loved getting the card in Spanish for the initial laugh, but the sentiment was really nice also.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that you are feeling better! Sounds like your house is company ready in good time for your guests! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to hear you are feeling better!! That is always a good feeling. Enjoy your guests and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're feeling better and were able to go to your "happy place". A hug from J - so special.
    We renewed our passports last fall and I wondered where all of those bags under my eyes came from. I don't believe the saying that "the camera doesn't lie." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering how that snuck that picture of an old lady into the camera as they were taking the photo.

      Delete
  7. I really liked your story about the Valentine's card - that was sweet! And yep, you're right about passport photos. Heck when I had to apply for my French "green card" a couple of years ago I wondered if they would allow me to stay (despite living here for over 30 years) as I looked like a drug mule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not look like a drug mule, more like a vagrant.

      Delete
  8. So glad you are better! Have fun with company and Roll Tide! The basketball team is doing well this year!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to "look for the joys" and today I found some in your blog post. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad Buckley's worked for you - at least for a bit. Your description of it's taste made me laugh. I think of it as tasting like pine tar - but if you've never tasted pine tar - we occasionally chewed it like gum - that wouldn't give you any idea of it's taste. Now ammonia and skunk are something most folks would know. :p
    Your husband and I are alike in yelling at the ref's (or in my case the players). I cannot watch sports outside my home as I learned one year at a New Year's Eve party. The rest of the guests were quite astonished at my vocabulary. (I went home early).
    Your Valentine's card choice was genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the nastiest cough syrup I have ever had, but it does the trick better than any OTC I have ever tried.
      TheHub can only go to a sports bar where noise is high and other people are yelling

      Delete
  11. Now that's the sort of card I would have chosen as well...great minds and all that. lol If I can't get an RX cough med w/codeine I use Delsym. Pretty effective for an OTC and doesn't taste like ammonia and skunk. ;-) Sorry I had to cut our call short last week but home health trumps all right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did laugh about the card! I might start doing different language cards for all occasions.

      Delete
  12. Glad you are feeling better. I've been having lung issues for a few weeks now. I also need to get a new passport. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were having some breathing issues too. Hope you are much better soon.

      Delete
  13. So glad you're feeling like a crispy critter once more! Still trying to wrap my mind around "ammonia + liquid skunk" ... about spit out my coffee. Since I deserve a PhD in procrastination, I've decided to sign up for Audible -- that way I can listen to my books while doing the dreaded housework. (That's Plan A, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to books is an option, but I had rather read on the couch with a blanket wrapped around me and a cup of coffee on the end table. Of course I sacrifice housework which I don't mind anyway.

      Delete
  14. hope you're feeling a lot better now. We have houseguests both upstairs and down and that's when you realise that you really need to do some dusting etc :=) So I did!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.