Translate

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sometimes Just Enough is Enough


The 5th week of the year came and went and was not exactly what I had planned, but like most weeks, It was enough


Sunday:
We woke, got ready for church, went, then came flying home for a quick bowl of soup before going to see Hamilton. We both loved it, and now are going to read The Federalist Papers, hopefully with different eyes. 
We have had season tickets to the Birmingham Broadway series for many many years. Like most venues, we could improve our seats each season as they become available when the previous seat holders did not renew. About 5 years ago we managed to score the perfect ones, so now we are 6 rows from center stage. It means we have to keep our season ticket status, even years when the plays are not that good. But I can honestly say, keeping them through the lean show years was worth it after seeing Sunday's performance.
Now I just hope when the new season is announced Hades Town will be one of the shows. Birmingham is not a top tier city so we don't usually get the newest touring shows, but my fingers are crossed.

Monday: I should have cleaned the house and done ALL the laundry, but I didn't. I probably should have felt bad for not doing it, but I didn't do that either.

Tuesday: I was supposed to go paint at Independence Place, but was dealing with arthritic hands that were not working well enough to hold the paint brushes I was using. Instead I stayed home and read.
And another happy aside, Son2 and DIL2 closed on their house. Immediately after closing they went there and began pulling up the carpet in the bedroom. Though I should have, I did not volunteer to help.

Wednesday: After my Wednesday class I was driving and my phone rang. What a delight! I got to talk with Sluggy while I made my way across town.
I went to Independence Place to paint spots on the giraffe's neck and legs, and to add dimension to the rhino's body. It is my happy place. 
On the way home I felt peckish and needed a little something so I did what I rarely do, scooted through Starbucks drive through for a flat white. I generally drink my coffee black, but just wanted a little more without going the latte or cappuccino route.

Thursday: Back to IP to put the finishing touches on all of the masks, the giraffe, and the rhino. The play will be in a couple of weeks, so getting it finished was imperative.
On the way home I noticed I could not stop sneezing and by the time I pulled in the driveway my head felt like it weighed 50 pounds. 

Friday: I woke to a totally liquid head. Yep, I was ill, and cold. I took a shower to get warm and there is a serious joy having a steaming hot shower when you feel like crud. 
TheHub brought a couple of covid tests home from work and as soon as he got here, I took one___negative and I was thrilled about that, but I still felt like crap.
Another thing that brought joy was TheHub's recliner. Generally I avoid it like the plague, because I do not want to turn into a recliner lady, but when I tried to lie on the bed I could not breathe worth a flip, sleeping in the recliner became a really good solution.

Saturday: I still felt like crud, but the liquid head had migrated to my chest and I spent most of the day rocking in the recliner while drinking hot tea or ginger ale and barking like a seal. At least that is what the cough sounded like to me.
I hate I felt so bad because we had dinner tickets to a fundraiser that supplies summertime math instruction mixed with sports to kids who need a little help and structure. TheHub went anyway and said I missed a nice event. We had gone last year and really did enjoy it.
Instead I sat in the recliner with a shawl and a blanket, watching Legends and Lies: The Patriots. It was very interesting, especially after seeing Hamilton on Sunday.

Look for the joys, however small. You are sure to find them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

27 comments:

  1. I swore I would never, ever have a recliner! But, the time came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I can sleep fully prone I will be back in the bed. I am only using the recliner in the daytime if I feel the need to take a nap.

      Delete
    2. Anne,
      I never sleep in mine. Well, I do with my laptop in my lap and accidentally snooze. A comfortable chair with an ottoman would be better for sitting.

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. I slept a lot on Saturday and slept until 7:20 on Sunday ( I am usually up by 4:30 am no matter what.) I also didn’t clean and didn’t care. My middle son also said he felt tired. Must be something in the air. Looks like Alabama may have a new OC and DC! Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I am planning on feeling much better tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it wasn't Covid and hope you feel better, soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're feeling so bad. There is a lot of stuff going around. I know because I get called to sub a lot. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a boatload of generic crud going around. I have stayed put hoping I will not pass it on to anyone else.

      Delete
  6. I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is no fun. However, it was good that you got some set work done at IP before you got sick since the play will be happening in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I was able to finish the play projects.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your son and his wife on their new home - and I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited for them. It is a fixer upper, but is a beautiful lakefront property, and they are very industrious.

      Delete
  8. So sorry you're ill. At least it's not COVID.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I do feel better to day, but can't shake this cough which is fueling the headache.

      Delete
  10. What a great thing it must be to have season tickets to a theater! I wish I saw more plays. I did see Hamilton, of course, becuase it's all but mandated by law that one must, and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-Covid we went to New York a couple of times a year and saw plays there, but have not been back since. We have had season tickets locally for 15 or so years and really do love going. There are a few other locally owned theater companies and we buy occasional tickets for their shows. We both enjoy it.

      Delete
  11. I do hope you're feeling some better soon. I did chuckle at your Monday - that sounds like a perfect day to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new house! such an exciting moment! I hope they enjoy it.
    I've never heard of a "liquid head" but I've had a few. Get better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so excited. Their current house is lovely but they needed some different space. The new place not only gives them space but it also gives them an incredible lakefront view.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.