Translate

Monday, February 13, 2023

Thoughts For Food

The freezers still very full, but when I open it there is no longer the fear of a frozen avalanche. I managed to use 7 items* from it this week, and the only thing that was added was a single serving of Sloppy Joe's.  I think this week I am going to make myself use 8 items from the freezer.

Even though I am no longer challenging myself to stay out of the grocery stores and did go to three of them this week, I bought less than 20 items, most of which was produce. I got me some coffee too, because I had run out of the real stuff and was drinking a decaf/espresso powder blend that was not great.
I had delicious regular coffee a few mornings last week, and it is true about the little things meaning a lot.



Monday: I had a container of chili in the freezer but there was not enough for two of us. Instead I made a small recipe of cornbread and partially baked it in a loaf pan. Once the top had set I covered it with shredded sharp cheddar, then spread the chili over the cheese, and returned it to the oven until the cornbread was cooked through.  I added a sprinkle of parsley strictly for visual appeal before serving it. It was surprisingly good. 
Cornbread chili casserole, coleslaw, tea

Tuesday: In my mind I had taken the pork al pastor out of the freezer to thaw, but when I looked in the refrigerator meat drawer (naturally about 15 minutes before it was time to eat) I found I did not. Fortunately I had some leftover rotisserie chicken from Sunday's lunch  in the drawer and could create a quick dinner.
Chicken alfredo, 3 bean salad on lettuce cups, tea

Wednesday: It was a ballgame night here and TheHub likes to have a ballgame type meal (translation, teenage food)
Sloppy Joe’s, chips, Brussels sprouts, tea

Thursday: I needed something quick (translation, I forgot to take anything out of the freezer in the morning) so I looked through the freezer for something that would be the easiest to thaw in the microwave. Glad I had sausage and a rice mix in the pantry.
Conecuh sausage jambayla, coleslaw, tea

Friday: Out to eat. We were running a few errands (I was double masked). Then we stopped at a fast food place where we sat in the corner away form everyone.
Fish sandwich

Saturday: The day was rainy and dreary which cancelled our grilled tuna steak plans
Collard green/black eyed pea soup, rolls, fresh pineapple, tea


Used from the freezer
Container of chili
Small pack ground chuck w/ onions
pack of conecuh sausage
black eyed pea/collard green soup mix
1 package chicken broth
1 frozen pizza
1/2 bag Brussels sprouts
1 turkey burger (lunch)
1 hash brown patty (lunch)


Used from the pantry
corn bread mix
can of 3 bean salad
fettuccine noodles
4 quart tea bags
2 individual bags of chips
jambayla package
1/2 jar of Alfredo sauce
boxed jambayla mix
1/2 can tomatoes
2 ham boullion packets

What I hope to use from the freezer this week
pork al pastor
browned ground beef and onions
turkey sausage
turkey burgers
chicken breasts
keto bread
cauliflower rice
brussels sprouts

I guess I will see how it goes.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all!


* I listed 9 items used from the freezer, but the turkey burger and the hash brown patty were both part of packages that still have several more servings. I 'm not going to count them as "used" until they are actually all gone.



28 comments:

  1. I bet the chili on cornbread was good. That's exactly what I would have done with it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the chili cornbread sounds good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're acing this!
    I no longer rate meals by flavour or presentation or even price but by how many things it got out of the pantry/ fridge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job, my friend! Isn't that a good feeling?? You are inspiring me to work on my freezers. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using lots of stuff I bought during the holidays, but I have been buying new stuff too LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is taking every bit of reprint for me to not buy more than I actually need

      Delete
  6. The chili cornbread was very creative! I have been adding to the freezer - some cooked chicken curry, two smoked sausages, and two small packages of cooked ground beef. I haven't made a meal plan for this week, yet; should do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to keep from adding anything to the freezer.

      Delete
  7. I take lots out to thaw and then put most of it back in the freezer cooked. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would not work for me. The volume would still be the same.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're doing great. I've been working on eating through our freezer also so I know exactly what you mean about the frozen avalanche. It's nice not to have to open the door slowly in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can just open the door without fear of everything sliding out

      Delete
  9. You definitely have well stocked freezers. I'm always impressed with the meals you prepare. My meals are always simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My freezer is overstocked, but I am making headway getting it used.

      Delete
  10. We're in a similar phase. How do you prepare your previously frozen brussel sprouts? When fresh, we like them pan sauteed with sesame oil & spices, but they were a terrible texture after the freezer. Do you roast them instead?

    I've achieved my February goal of using 5 "hard to use" pantry/freezer items, but definitely have more work to do. Until the end of the month, I'm going to work on ensuring our leftovers from the Super Bowl don't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spray the frozen, partially thawed sprouts with olive oil and cook them in the air fryer. After they are cooked through I splash a little balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of garlic salt on them. The texture is not like fresh, but it is palatable.

      Delete
  11. I still fear the frozen avalanche! Most of the raw frozen chicken was baked and frozen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I thaw, cook, and refreeze I am not using anything. I am all about getting rid of stuff in my freezer before summer produce starts coming in.

      Delete
  12. When you're done using up all of your stuff, will you please come over to my house and use up all my stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just have the tiny freezer top in both my work house and weekend house. Both are full of free frozen mulberries and figs from my trees. I also have cooked pumpkin, a turkey breast, and chicken legs in my work house for me. For the kid I have ground beef and ice cream in my weekend house ( who am I kidding…. I eat them too! ) Lolz Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ice cream will yell "eat me" whenever they are in the freezer.

      Delete
  14. My Mom used to make chili and cornbread like that all the time when we were growing up. Sounds like you did a good job using things from your freezer. Kudos to you. My daughter really likes the Conecuh sausage. It’s certainly different from any other sausage we’ve tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love conecuh and when I buy it at Costco in a bulk package it winds up being about 3.70 a pound which is so much cheaper than it is in the store.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.