Translate

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Asian Inspired Dinner

 Almost everyone I know has a fondness for Asian cuisine in some form or fashion. When I was a kid nearly every familyI knew went to Joy Young's Chinese restaurant on at least one special occasion, and it was one of, if not the only Asian restaurant in town then. Much has changed, and as the restaurant scene locally has grown our palettes have also matured. 
,
Thankful I have been able to try some of these "weird" foods

Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Chinese food (especially the dishes with a lot of heat in them) but I also have also become enamored with Thai, Filipino, Indonesian, Japanese, and Vietnamese foods*. Rather than going out to eat to have it  I decided to start cooking some of the latter meals at home.

Dinner Tuesday night was kind of a Thai/Vietnamese fusion dish I had kind of planned.Then as I generally do, I sorta disregarded any real recipe and free lanced our meal.
Imagine eating a gigantic spring roll, filled with salmon, veggies, herbs, with dipping sauce and you can understand what we ate for dinner.

About mid afternoon I made a little marinade, put it in a zip lock bag and added 2 small salmon filets. They stayed in the refrigerator until I was ready to cook them.

Measurements are approximate because I do not usually measure things but I have a reasonably good "eye" for amounts.

Marinade
2 tablespoons miso paste (I used yellow miso)
1 tablespoon soy sauce**
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil 
Mix it all together (Squish it around in the zip lock bag and save messing up a bowl. put the salmon in the bag, squeeze the air out of the bag and let it hang out for about 3 hours in the fridge.

I used this as a guideline, but did add a little fresh lime juice, and a tiny bit of red pepper paste

The next step was to prepare the fixings  




Use whatever you like, this is just what I did.
1 small cucumber, sliced in strips
1 shaved carrot
radishes thinly sliced
scallion slices
shredded lettuce
cooked rice noodles
chopped basil
chopped mint
chopped cilantro

Right before dinner I pan seared the salmon filets. They were very thin so it did not take but a few minutes on each side to be cooked through***. Before I plated them while they were still sizzling I lightly sprinkled them with sesame seed.

Now comes the assembly part which we did at the table.
You need a pie plate with about 3/4 inch of water
Large rice paper rounds (Ours were about the size of a dinner plate)
Take the rice paper and put it in the pie plate and submerge it. Leave it in until it is totally wet but not totally softened. Immediately put it on a dinner  plate and begin filling it in the middle of the paper, starting with the salmon, then add everything else in any order  you chose.

 
You can tell how pliable the rice paper has already gotten

Fold one side to the middle, fold in the top and bottom  like a burrito (the rice paper will be sticky and very pliable by now) then bring the remaining side over the center compressing the filling as tight as possible. Basically what you have is your protein and side veggies as a self contained meal ready for dipping. So make good use of that sauce.
It will be messy and delicious****


I should have taken a photo from the side so you could see how thick the roll was

We used a lot of vegetables in our rolls and each ate one, then we shared one more. It was more than enough for us. What is my only regret, you ask? I did not have enough salmon to have any leftover for lunch tomorrow. Bummer!
Next time, and there will be a next time because I have a lot of rice papers left. We might try it with tuna. I always have tuna steaks in the freezer.

* I am not neglecting foods from the sub-continent. I just have them in an entirely different food category.
**Next time I will use tamari as I am not a huge salt fan, and it has much less salt than traditional soy sauce
*** If I had thicker salmon filets I would have baked them until almost done then finished them under the broiler for a minute or two
****Honesty is the best policy and halfway through we both opted to use a knife and fork and just drizzle the dipping sauce over the top of the second half.

27 comments:

  1. I love all Asian inspired food. Sounds delicious! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good but did take a little more prep time than I usually give to making dinner.

      Delete
  2. As a person might suspect, I cannot eat some of the ingredients. I loved your very last statement. There are times and knife and fork are best. I have had burgers that had to be eaten with a knife and fork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had put the dipping sauced into individual containers for both of us we would have just continued eating with our hands, but bits of the insides were beginning to fall into the sauce when it was dipped so we changed plans.

      Delete
  3. It's funny but I LOVE almost all Asian inspired foods except Chinese. Thai, Japanese and Vietnamese are my favorites. I make a dish similar to this and use either fish, chicken or go all veg. So delicious. Yours looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, mostly like a gigantic spring roll.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious and healthy. I love Asian food too and I'll be sure to try this. I have tons of salmon in the freezer. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light, yet flavourful and very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like eating a flavored piece of salmon with salad wrapped in a nice little package

      Delete
  6. I am with Lori. Chinese is not on my go to list. Thai and vietnamese on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the intensely spicy Chinese dishes, it is not my favorite. I could eat Thai every day.

      Delete
  7. You can come and practice on me any time! I love Asian food (and Lebanese and Italian and Turkish and ...). But Asian just seems so light and refined as compared to our daily western fare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love just about any type of food as long as it does not have beets, bananas or liver.

      Delete
  8. I love the looks of this! One of these days I'm going to have to crawl out from under a rock and make my own salmon. It's my favorite, but I've been too leery of under-cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty hard to undercook. I am always more worried about over cooking it.

      Delete
  9. Looks and sounds delicious. Of course, I'm Asian, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious. I bought a Pad Thai kit today, but it didn't come with anything more than the noodles, Pad Thai sauce and peanuts. I'll cook up a chicken breast tomorrow to slice with it and add some thinly sliced carrots and scallions. I've never eaten it before but my son enjoys it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made Pad Thai but never from a kit, but honestly I prefer to buy it from our favorite Thai place.

      Delete
  11. That sounds delicious! I would have eaten it with a fork and knife to. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks good! My husband has been experimenting with Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai dishes lately, with some fantastic results. He follows recipes very carefully, and. has been using several great cookbooks, especially a brand-new one from the wonderful Viet-American author Andrea Nguyen. We both also use carefully selected websites (though not random choices).

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have thought that I need to learn to cook some Asian dishes at home. I like that you assembled things at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's awesome that you're cooking Asian foods at home. Having not grown up around them, they seem so unfamiliar in terms of cooking. But of course I love eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to eat these kinds of foods but I hate preparing them! It looks fabulous and it's a nicely high veg, low carb choice

    ReplyDelete
  16. What you made looks wonderful. Thank you for the recipes you shared. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i really love japanese foods, and i like thai and chinese and vietnamese too. Your dish sounds wonderful. I do love salmon!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.