Translate

Monday, May 8, 2023

Combining Joys and Food

This week kind of snuck up on me and I just did not get around to posting the weeks joys. My solution rather than having two posts in one day is to just combine those suckers into one possibly wordier post and be done with it. So this is how this begins.




This is what I thought last week's dinner possibilities were:
1. Carmine's salad
2. Asian inspired salmon meal
3. Reuben sandwiches (TheHub's request)
4. Grilled pork chops, collards, potatoes (no idea yet about how to make them)
5. Veggie meal (TBD)
6. Cheeseburger salad
7. Out to eat

And now these are the weeks joys followed by what we ate for dinner:

Sunday: We went to church, picked up lunch on the way home and hurried to the house to watch Alabama Softball. Then what could be better than a night watching the horrid Roy family as they battle among themselves for power and money. Downside? Missed a call from Sluggy (I am a threat to turn my phone to silent mode and forget about it, sometimes for days)
Leftovers

Monday: The day was beautiful but slightly on the coolish side. I talked with Sluggy and she always makes me laugh then I scored a couple of free items from The Pig, which only seems appropriate after talking with the queen of frugality.
Reuben sandwiches, tea

Tuesday: I had a delightful call from Sissie (Kim's twin). One of the best things about blogging has been getting to know some fellow bloggers ( plus an occasional non-blogging twin)
Asian inspired mongo spring rolls (Salmon and salads fixings in a neat huge roll)

Wednesday: When I planned meals for the week I forgot My Beloved Sister and I were meeting a childhood friend for dinner. She was the daughter of one of my mom's best friends who I honestly do not remember not knowing. I have not seen her in years and it was wonderful catching up with her.
Dinner at The Electric, PBLT (Pimento cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato)

Thursday: I am so glad that I cooked our dinner earlier than I normally do. TheHub came in from the office and said he had run into our neighbors on his way into the house. They invited us over for a little wine and a lot of conversation. They have a gorgeous back yard with a flagstone patio and brick fireplace, the perfect cozy spot to enjoy our truly wonderful neighbors. However, after a glass or two and a lot of laughs, it was nearly 9 and we had not yet eaten. I was very happy dinner only had to be warmed.
Pineapple jalapeno glazed pork chops, coleslaw

Friday: Pip got a kid's Apple Watch. She has been wanting a little more freedom to walk to and from her friends house (all in the neighborhood) by herself, so they have tracking enabled and she has to stay on the phone (watch?) with them until she arrives at her destination.
Since she can enable audio FaceTime, I had calls from her off and on all day Friday. I am not sure if this is going to be the new normal or not. I guess I will find out in the upcoming weeks.
And a totally different joy was having dinner out with a couple of friends of ours. We had been talking about getting together for ages, so I finally made the call and made a plan. We enjoyed both the food and the fellowship.
Dinner at Mikeys. Blackened snapper, okra (TheHub) caesar salad (me)

Saturday: TheHub and I go out every Saturday morning. One of us wakes at 5 ready to take on the day. The other one, who does not usually go to sleep until about 2, is not so chipper and does not like to have to finish her coffee by 8 so they can get their errands started. Still, she is generally accommodating (internally grumbling but accommodating). 
Because there was this coronation going on we did actually watch a little of it before leaving the house and we  were a bit past our general departure time, but it was still not when I would have liked to go out.
This was very much like every other Saturday where we had to hurry up and get things done so we could be home before noon. I have no idea why, but it seems to be important. I do think there will have to be some adjustments made once he retires. 
TheHub had decided another stop needs to be on our Saturday morning circuit. There is a Mexican bakery fairly near here and they have some of the best sesame cookies I have ever eaten. Those and a cup of hot coffee make getting out of the house early almost worth it.
While we were at the veggie stand (another Saturday required stop) we managed to snag some of their home baked yeast rolls. They usually sell out as soon as they open so we felt very lucky, and of course had to eat some of them for dinner.
And the other joys of the day were TV related. We watched Alabama softball, then watched the Kentucky Derby. For the first time ever I picked the winning horse. If I had been somewhere to place a bet I would have won 15 to 1, but instead I was just happy I finally picked the right horse.
Burger sliders on the fantastic rolls, coleslaw

Sunday: I am saving my Sunday joys for next week when I hope to be back on a regular posting schedule. Instead I am just letting you know what our dinner meals was..
Veggie dinner; squash, tomato cucumber &onion marinated salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, leftover okra

What's possible for this week?
1. Taco salad
2. Ground chuck patties, sautéed Brussels sprouts shreds
3. Vietnamese chicken wraps
4. Veggie dinner (TBD)
5. Leftover pork chops, tossed salad, dinner rolls
6. Sandwiches (TBD), chips
7. Stuffed baked potatoes

We are going to try and eat at home each night this week. I would lay the same odds  the Derby winner had we won't make it every night.

Have a good week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all!
and
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne


 


30 comments:

  1. Do you regularly go to bed at 2? M & I are both early birds, but he goes to bed earlier than me, and gets up early every day (usually, before 5). I get up at either 6 or 7, depending on my schedule for the day.

    We're having some version of: spaghetti & meatballs, grilled burgers, & chicken fajitas this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends used to say I was a vampire because I truly come to life after dark. I stay up until at least 1 but usually 2, then I wake between 7 and 8.

      Delete
  2. Getting up at 4:30 would be like waking in the second circle of Hell for me. Now going to bed at 4:30? I have done that a lot in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I really enjoyed this post! I stay up late too. Since we started homeschooling, we are vampires too! I am usually in bed by 12:30, and reading until 1:00. I wake up around seven every single day. Anyway, your meals sound good. They always do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a family of night owls, so this is not really a change for me.

      Delete
  4. I am a (very) early bird. It is not yet 5am here. My partner goes to bed at similar times to you but gets up a lot later. Essentially we live in different time zones.
    Your joys and your meals both sounded good this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub and I occupy different worlds most of the time.

      Delete
  5. By nature, I'm an early bird; Tom not so much. My late father always claimed it was the best time of the day -- while privately, I thought he was an idiot. (jk!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quiet of late night. It is my favorite time to read.

      Delete
  6. I am up at 4 and usually at work before 7 and I have an hour’s drive to work……lol. Your meals sound fabulous! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a joyful week of delicious meals. :) I just stayed up all night to watch the coronation and then went to bed at 6:30 a.m. But, then, again, I'm a night owl, as you well know! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know which bloggers love the late night. I do usually go to bed at 2 but there are a lot of nights I go to sleep once the sun is rising.

      Delete
  8. I also more often go to sleep at 4:30 than get up at that time. I would probably kill anyone who wanted me to get up at that hour. Second circle of Hell, for sure. If I had my way, I would always wash clothes, wash dishes, do most housework after 8 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the late night for working and prefer to have chores done before 5 pm. But I love to read at night, or go down computer rabbit holes.

      Delete
  9. My weekly meal planning would consist only of which Schwan's dinner to pop out of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popping a frozen meal into the oven is also a plan.

      Delete
  10. I have a friend who swears that you should never get up at any time with a five in it. 8:05 and 8:55 both make sense. Who would get up then? But anywhere from 5:00 to 5:59, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me there is just something unholy about waking at 5:00 - 5:59

      Delete
  11. How lovely that your little granddaughter has her own way to contact you (but isn't it sad that kids these days don't have the freedom that we had)!!! And I definitely like the sound of your neighbours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the sun is up, I'm awake-even with black out curtains and a sleep mask. So when it starts getting light around 5 or 5:30 am this time of year, it's hard for me to get enough sleep. I never seem to be able to adjust my bedtime to accommodate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not afflicted with daylight rousing me.

      Delete
  13. We are early to bed and early to rise folks -- in bed around 9:30 and up anywhere from 4:45-5:00

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think beyond elementary school years I was ever in bed by 9:30, and though I have been up insanely early sometimes, I do not make a practice of it.

      Delete
  14. I would absolutely struggle to be out of the house at 8 on a Saturday (or any day) but I really like the idea of being home by midday, ready to relax (you didn't say you relax when you get home but that's what I would want to do)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't like having to be showered and dressed for the day so early on the weekend.

      Delete
  15. I'm often in bed near 9:00, but with the later sunset push all the way to 10:00. Your meals and restaurant options sound so delicious. I'm trying to eat healthier after a weekend that I just didn't care what I consumed.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.