Translate

Friday, May 26, 2023

Enchilada Chicken Casserole

There are days when I have leftovers that need to be reformed into another meal. There are also weeks when the food ads are so lame there is no reason to set foot in a grocery store. This was one of those times. Anyone who reads my blog knows I keep a stocked refrigerator, and had already planned this week based of foods I have available. This is one of the results. It is not really a recipe but more of a "how to", therefore all measurements are approximate.


Enchilada Chicken Casserole*
1/2 cup enchilada sauce + additional for serving
4 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 -1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
1 cup shredded chicken
chopped sweet peppers 1/2 cup maybe?
1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional)slightly undercooked rice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup shredded pepper jack
Sliced olives, scallion tops and sliced peppers for garnish 

Heat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with Pam. Spread the rice in an even layer over the bottom of the pan.
Stir the cream cheese until it s softened, then mix in the enchilada sauce.  Add the seasonings and blend well. Stir in the chicken and peppers then plop it on top of the rice. Spread it evenly the place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes.  Sprinkle the cheese on top until it is melted, toss the garnishes over the top of the melted cheese and a quick dinner is ready. 
Serve with additional enchilada sauce.




I snapped this picture right before I sat down to eat and had not yet spooned a tad more sauce on it.

It would have been prettier if I had used red peppers but I didn't have any. * To make this keto, I used my own sugar free enchilada sauce. (Found the recipe online a while back but I don't remember where.  Made 3 x's the recipe )  I keep it in 1 cup containers in the freezer so I always have it on hand. Instead of rice, I used frozen riced cauliflower. I sprayed the pan and put the cauliflower in it to bake about 10 or so minutes so it would be thawed and dried out a little before I added the chicken mix.

TheHub is non keto and this gets his seal of approval. We will add this to our dinner rotation for the summer. I have a dual microwave/convection oven and the 9x9 dish is small enough to bake there without doing any serious heating up the kitchen. Good food and less heat is a summertime win!

30 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, and I think I have some enchilada sauce lingering in the freezer to use up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely making this ... once Summer's over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I am probably going to shelve this as a remake until October.

      Delete
  3. I thought enchiladas were enclosed in a tortilla, but rice seems to be an ok substitute! It does sound like a good quick way to deal with leftovers!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve made “taco meat” using walnuts and cauliflower like rice, but that has been a few years ago now. I love that the cauliflower rice is a vegetable and not a grain, perfect for the Keto diet. Am I missing the amount needed in the ingredient list? It sounds so good and we do love Mexican food here. I’ll definitely have to try this one. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The approximate amounts were listed in the ingredient list because I am an "eyeball" cook. I am reposting it here in the reply.
    1/2 cup enchilada sauce + additional for serving
    4 ounces cream cheese
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 -1/2 teaspoon salt
    black pepper to taste
    1 cup shredded chicken
    chopped sweet peppers 1/2 cup maybe?
    1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional)slightly undercooked rice
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar
    1/4 cup shredded pepper jack
    Sliced olives, scallion tops and sliced peppers for garnish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. That makes perfect sense. 😊

      Delete
  6. Yum! Love some cheesy goodness! Thanks for the recipe.
    I was surprised that the grocery ads were so lame here this week too. I would have thought they would have had more on sale for Memorial weekend. I did buy a watermelon and ribs, so I hope they will be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously surprised at the ads. Usually there are great buys on foods for bbqing or grilling. Or maybe its that I can't wrap my mind around the fact that 15.99 is a good sale price for ribeyes.

      Delete
  7. That looks really delicious and I would love mine with extra portion of olives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Black olives make everything taste better. Green too for that matter. 😂

      Delete
    2. I probably would have enjoyed more olives also but I was using the tail end of some I had in the fridge and did not want to open another can.

      Delete
  8. Well done. I suspect himself would like this one. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. I haven’t adjusted to cauliflower rice yet. It seems too strongly flavored for a neutral taste like rice. However, you like your food spicier than I do, so that may make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live and Learn here.

      Delete
    2. It was really good. The caulirice works for me. THeHub is a little less enthusiastic
      but he obliges .

      Delete
  10. Not really a fan of enchilada, but, well done for using what you had on hand to make a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying very hard to limit food waste, so I have to do a little creating sometimes

      Delete
  11. Don't see the comment I thought I made. The enchilada looks good, but I'm really craving the cucumber and tomato salad I see on the plate with it. Are you getting local tomatoes yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting them from a couple of counties south of us, so they are picked the evening before we buy them.

      Delete
  12. (Little Penpen) that looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How uncanny. DH and some kids went to Costco earlier in the week, and came home with the requisite rotisserie chicken. We have loads of leftovers, as they also ate out on the way home, so I woke up today thinking I'd make an enchilada casserole. I have a can of green enchilada sauce, so I'll use that, along with the tortillas I have had lurking for far too long. I'm sure it won't look as good as yours, though. (And it also won't be Keto--we don't do that here! xoxo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it would have been better with tortillas, but I have not been eating grains. Nothing wrong with not doing keto. I waffle a month or so keto then a couple of weeks off so I can undo whatever keto does.

      Delete
  15. Sounds delicious. I always love ideas that use up bits and bobs in the fridge. Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.