Translate

Monday, May 15, 2023

What For Dinner

When TheHub and I did our Saturday morning run arounds last week, the vegetable stand we use had big baskets of freshly picked strawberries.  In addition to just eating them plain, this week was made for strawberry shortcake! Yum!


An Aside
When I was a teen, during the summer a locally owned department store 
 teamed with a local theater and had
fashion shows and a movie once a month.
The store and theater were very close to each other and the smart marketing was
the free tickets had to be picked up in the women's or junior's section of the store
 so browsing/shopping was inevitable.
Every summer after the fashion show they ran the film 
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.
 I remembered this song from that movie.

This is what I thought might happen:
1. Taco Salad
2. Ground chuck patties, sautéed Brussels sprouts shreds
3. Vietnamese chicken wraps
4. Veggie dinner (TBD)
5. Leftover pork chops, tossed salad, dinner rolls
6. Sandwiches (TBD), chips
7. Stuffed baked potatoes

This is what actually did:
Monday: I had some lettuce that needed to be used, plus I had all the other fixings on hand. Taco salad, strawberry shortcake*

Tuesday:
This meal turned into a gathering of fragments that were languishing in the refrigerator
Leftover pork chops, leftover mashed potatoes, coleslaw, strawberry shortcake 

Wednesday:
TheHub had forgotten to tell me about a business dinner when I originally made the meal plan. No way I was going to cook for just me.
Leftover coleslaw, shortcake with lemon curd and strawberry slices

Thursday: Fresh produce and more leftovers were in the fridge.
Sautéed shredded brussels sprouts, leftover ground chuck patties, rolls or keto cornbread.

Friday: We planned on watching Bama softball so what was better than a ball game meal right before it began.
Hot dogs, coleslaw, chips or keto puffs

Saturday: The day was gorgeous and TheHub suggested we cook something on the grill. This is when I am most thankful that I keep the freezer overstocked.
Steak, tossed salad, dinner rolls or keto toast

Sunday: We had a couple of things planned for the day and wanted a quick and easy dinner. I keep cooked bacon in the freezer all the time so this was our choice for the evening.
BLT sandwich or BLT salad

What lies ahead?
Summer has arrived and is gearing up to be like it always is here__hot and humid, which means fare that requires less prep heat (stove top meals, crock pot meals or air fryer meals ) but outdoor cooking is the optimum.  It also means anytime the oven is on, cooking multiple things to save heating up the kitchen more than needed  is a necessity.This week's plan will begin our summer way of life.

1. Salad dinner TBD
2. Grilled tuna steaks, steamed artichokes, salad, some side dish for TheHub
3. Sandwiches TBD, coleslaw
4. Crack chicken (crock pot item) caulirice, tomato cucumber onion salad
5. P.F. Chang'sish lettuce wraps, sliced cakes 
6. Veggie meal TBD based on what is available
7. Out to eat or leftovers

Oven stuff I need to make one day this week
(This looks like a lot, but it will be frozen so I can access it easily for meals during the coming weeks)
keto dinner rolls
keto sponge cake in the shortcake pan
keto cornbread
keto peanut butter cookies
keto chocolate chip** cookies
Keto French coconut pie

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.




* I found this shortcake pan online. This is not an affiliate plug, just something I found that works very well. 
** Another non affiliate suggestion. These choczero chips are hands down the best sugar free baking chips out there. TheHub is non-keto and he likes them but he loves the milk chocolate ones. I like dark chocolate better and since I am the one who does the cooking . . .


33 comments:

  1. We've switched from the heavy winter dishes to the lighter summer ones also. It was really hot and humid over the weekend. I lucked out on local strawberries too and made strawberry jam. So good. I even had a spoonful over vanilla ice cream this weekend. YUM. You're meal plans sound really good. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is better than a perfectly ripe strawberry.
      I hope you have a great week too,Lori.

      Delete
  2. Those chips sound like my kind of chips. Did you find them in a store or online? Which store? I do that too--I cook, so I put in what I like. Tommy hates basil but never knows when I put it in something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order them online. The link will take you directly to their "shop"

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was so good! The best thing about keto lemon curd is that it does not last long in the fridge so I have to eat it often!

      Delete
  4. I would love some ground chuck patties, and strawberry shortcake as a dessert :-) Keto cornbread? Should one eat eat corn in keto diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keto cornbread is actually made with almond flour, and cornbread extract . I am posting the link to the recipe, however through trial and error I no longer add the cheese or garlic powder to it. I add corn extract to the mix and now I bake it in mini muffin tins rather than a pan. I freeze them individually on a cookie sheet then jut plop them in a freezer bag. That way I can take out a couple to have with a meal any time I need to "umph" it up a little.
      https://newhappeningsatthetable.blogspot.com/2019/10/mock-cornbread.html

      Delete
  5. Happy cooking - and eating. Both of us prefer dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that we don't see eye to eye on the merits/taste of dark chocolate. Funny though, as much as he swears he hates it I have never seen him turn down dark chocolate chip cookies.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait until it's strawberry season here. Fresh from the vine strawberries are heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will probably be the last week of strawberries here. I am going to try and get one more bucket for freezing.

      Delete
  7. Yep! Fresh strawberries are the best! We are also looking forward to summer meals! Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is here now so the meals have to be lighter.

      Delete
  8. I never thought about cooking bacon, then freezing. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the way bacon smell lingers in the house so I cook 4 or 5 packages of bacon at once then freeze it, just to get it all over with at once.

      Delete
  9. My kids brought the nicest Mother's Day lunch for me. We shared pork loin, potato and zucchini slices, baked beans plus cheese cake with strawberries and cool whip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a wonderful meal, sharing it just makes it better.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful meal plans, as always. Strawberry shortcake! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts.

      Delete
  11. It sounds delicious. I have to watch what I eat since I have Crohn's Disease and just had surgery but I will stick with lighter dishes. But that sounds very good what you made.https://www.bauchlefashion.com/2023/05/how-to-style-golden-goose-sneakers-this.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Crohn's has some food restrictions. I hope the surgery helps and you will be in remission soon.

      Delete
  12. I love strawberry shortcake. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I want strawberry shortcake. Lol! Had dark chocolate instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark chocolate would be my first choice, but I am a chocolate fiend.

      Delete
  14. Strawberry shortcake is the best when strawberries are in season. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love in-season strawberries, especially with shortcake and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i do think it's amazing that you plan out your weekly menu. I am just too slack :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.