Translate

Monday, August 7, 2023

Dinner Blahs

There has been nothing exciting about last weeks meals, but it was a pretty easy week of cooking/not cooking. In fact other than to get the freebies at The Pig I did not go to the grocery store this past week. If you are using stuff on hand you don't need to go to the store anyway.  
But if I saw something like this____
                                                                       _____ I might be more inclined to go.

Here's last week's original plan:
1.Squash casserole, pink eyed peas, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, peach cobbler
2. Turkey reuben, coleslaw
3. PF Chang-ish lettuce wraps
4. TheHub has a dinner meeting so leftovers for me
5. Chicken salad on greens
6. Out to eat
7. Salad dinner or something cooked on the grill (TBD based on weather and/or mood)

Here's the updated and amended version of said plan:
Monday:  I had promised TheHub a summer vegetable dinner (his favorite summertime meal)
Squash casserole, lady peas, cucumber slices, tomato slices, peach cobbler

Tuesday: TheHub had a business dinner, so I hit the fridge for leftovers
Squash casserole, sliced cucumber

Wednesday: Time for a mostly cold food meal
Chicken salad on lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, green beans

Thursday: This was a use things that were lingering in the refrigerator kind of night, like sliced turkey and half a jar of saurkraut.
Turkey reuben sandwiches, coleslaw, chips

Friday: The rains went away by early afternoon, but the skies remained cloudy so the day was never uncomfortably hot. It was fine weather for throwing something on the grill.
Hamburger with all the fixings, green beans

Saturday: We decided rather than go out to eat we would just do takeout. I am glad we went because they posted on Facebook they had a family emergency in Thailand and will be closed for an unknown amount of time.
Blue Pacific: Shrimp pad Thai or Laap

Sunday: We took a quick trip to Costco (Someone shoot me if I ever go on a weekend again). One of their loss leaders became the star of our dinner
Rotisserie chicken, rice with gravy, brussels sprouts


This weeks menu includes some restricted meals for a procedure prep
1. Lady peas, okra, squash casserole, cornbread
2. Meatloaf, sautéed mushrooms, mashed potatoes
3. Mac and cheese, cooked carrots, vanilla pudding
4. Jello, tea or apple juice
5. Take out
6. Something grilled,  tossed salad
7. P F Chang_ish lettuce wraps

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

29 comments:

  1. *BANG!* Me shooting you for Costco-ing on a weekend....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costco on a weekend must surely be the second level of Hell.

      Delete
    2. What am I missing? Everyone is wishes you good luck with "the procedure"?? Are they removing the bullet I shot you with for going to Costco on a weekend? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Costco. On a weekend? Shudder.
    Good luck with the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told TheHub once before I would not go on a weekend, but I guess it is like giving birth and you forget! Never again!

      Delete
  3. Hope procedure goes well - uneventfully well. I'm solo this week and want to clean out fridge and freezer. Nothing exciting will be eaten here. Daughter gave me a large zucchini and a few cucumbers so I'll eat be eating some veggies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me solo dining is absolutely about cleaning out foods that have gotten pushed back in the freezer or fridge.

      Delete
  4. Loved the video!
    Hope the procedure goes well and the results will be good, too.
    My meal plan for last week was somewhat derailed towards the end thanks to my lovely neighbor S, but, it went well enough; haven't decided what I want to eat this week! I've some leftovers I need to finish, though. so, I guess I'll start with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had neighbors sending me food, they could derail my dinner plans any night.

      Delete
  5. The video was a lot of fun. The best part was seeing the smiles on the customers faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shopping at weekends is always a waiting game at the cashiers. Squash casserole sounds really tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Costco the issue is not the check out, it's the crowds. There are some seriously rude people out there and it seems like they congregate in masse at Costco on the weekend.

      Delete
  7. You have some delicious things planned! What a pity the jello isn't for "fun" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a jello fan so there is never a fun occasion to have it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for reminding me I want to make a squash casserole. What procedure?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a great idea to hit the pantry and refrigerator to create meals from available pantry ingredients. Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy veggies.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great time for veggies. The green beans I got last week were some of the best ones I have ever eaten.

      Delete
  10. I also get to do a day of fasting (today) & no eating tomorrow until after my procedure (so, late afternoon). I have a feeling I'm going to be super grouchy. Glad you aren't here in person to have to suffer. ;-) Good luck with your procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wish I had a Costco or Sam's Club near by. That Rotisserie chicken, rice with gravy, brussels sprouts sounds wonderful. The kids patch of squash has been picked clean and all that is left is old dead squash and squash bugs...Yuk...I will never eat squash again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Costco, but I do not like it at all over the weekend. I do not do well with so many people in a contained space.

      Delete
  12. Your meals always sound yummy to me! Love that Costco chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, but we have decided we like Publix's mojo rotisserie chicken better.

      Delete
  13. I love Publix rotisserie chicken. Hope procedure goes well. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Costco on a weekend. You're braver than me!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.