Translate

Monday, August 28, 2023

Bad Planning, Worse Attitude

I was definitely not on my cooking game last week. Between a couple of nights of the house being hot, and my general apathy we had some seriously lame meals. And to be honest I would be hard pressed to care less about what we ate than I did. This week I just need to adjust my attitude, dust my big girls pants, off and begin again.


What was supposed to happen in a perfect world with working a/c:
Whatever is in the fridge (not cooking for just me).
Sandwiches TBD 
Big salad meal (also TBD)
Grilled tuna steaks, coleslaw, rolls
White Bbq chicken, caulitato salad
Out to eat (I know there will be at least one night we go out) 
Something tossed on the grill (haven't looked through the freezer yet) salad, some side vegetable maybe

What did and did not happen:
Monday: TheHub came back from his event much earlier than I thought he would. He never saw the heavy hors- d'oeuvres there and had not eaten. I had eaten nothing either, plus the a/c was on the fritz and I was not about to heat up the kitchen. Instead we did some take out.
Zaxby's : Split a 6 piece plate with 2 coleslaws instead of fries

Tuesday: The a/c worked then quit working but it was still cool enough to eat a quick meal. I only had to use one burner on the stove ,we used very little meat on our salads, so the cooking time was minimal.
Taco salad

Wednesday: The House was hot and I was not cooking.
Bluff Park Diner: Turkey and dressing*, brussels sprouts

Thursday: I the house was cool enough to cook, but I did not really want to cook much.
Lady peas, squash casserole, sliced cucumbers

Friday: Son3 and DIL3 came to spend the night. This is when having a stocked freezer serves us best, especially since Son3 agreed to man the grill.
Steaks, mashed potatoes, tossed salad, chocolate cake (Store bought because it is still too hot to bake even with a/c.

Saturday: DIL3 and Son3 left, so we decided to have leftovers for dinner. Luckily the 2 steaks from Costco that we grilled were large enough to feed 4 people one night and 2 the next night.
Steak, salad

Sunday: After a long time watching the FedEx golf tournament TheHub declared what he wanted for dinner. I was more than happy to oblige.
Hot dogs with fixings, baked beans

What's up? Hmmmm this is only a suggestion at best
1. Pork chops, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, toast
2. Baked potatoes with toppings
3. Peas, okra, sliced tomatoes, cornbread
4. Grilled tuna steaks, potatoes, tossed salad, rolls
5. Big salad meal TBD
6. Sandwich, coleslaw TBD
7. Out to eat

*The dressing at Bluff Park Diner seriously sucks! Who in their right mind would even think of making a savory dish with sweet cornbread. Sweet cornbread violates every thing that is holy. Surely the new owners are not originally from the south!

“Let’s just say that one day your grandchildren will be eating cornbread that’s sweet and drinking iced tea that ain’t, and they’ll think that’s a southern tradition.” - The Accountant, short film from 2001

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

24 comments:

  1. Love Diana Krall :-) I wish a better week with great food and rest, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her voice, but I also love the arrangements she always has.__Anne

      Delete
  2. That sweet cornbread would be yucky. Imagine your grandchildren serving you sweet cornbread, thinking you would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet cornbread ruined the dressing. I ate a couple of bites and quit.__Anne

      Delete
  3. I don't blame you at all for not wanting to cook when it was hot and there was no a/c! I keep a table fan on one of the kitchen counters when I cook in the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is not fun but the humidity along with the heat is what puts it over the top.__Anne

      Delete
  4. Considering the heat I think you did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are absolutely not going to starve if I don't cook, but it is nicer when we are using dining out as entertainment rather than a must. I just flat out refused to heat the house up anymore than necessary.__Anne

      Delete
  5. Between the heat and the A/C issues, I think you did great. This is the part of summer that it gets a bit hard to decided what to make because nothing really sounds good to me when it's so hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does become an issue here because nothing sounds good to either one of us. I am not rushing time but I won't be unhappy when soup or stew weather is here.__Anne

      Delete
  6. Cooking?....Cooking!?! We don't need no stinkin' cooking. Not in this heat for sure! Can I blame the heat for MY bad attitude?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can either blame the heat or the furniture! ___Anne

      Delete
  7. Your meals don't sound that lame to me. I'm happy when I can throw some smokies or burgers on the grill, and taco salads are a perennial favorite here. Sandwiches have been on the menu too, as my son makes his own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taco salads are a year round meal here. When it is so hot nothing sounds good anyway and I struggle every time finding something that appeals to us.___Anne

      Delete
  8. I don’t think your attitude about the heat can be any worse than mine… lol. I am
    not cooking either other than the pink eyed purple hill peas from the Farmer’s market, and a squash casserole for the week. Otherwise,
    it is salad and sandwiches for the win. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot weather, hot kitchens and hot foods are just a no-go here. I am fortunate the ac is up and running now or I would be . . . let's just say it would not be a pleasant sight. Anne

      Delete
  9. Sorry about the a/c. Sounds like some good choices and of course grilling is always a nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilling was especially nice since Son3 was the one outside doing the grilling! Anne

      Delete
  10. Love the quote from the "Accountant"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I use a paraphrased version of it all the time. Anne

      Delete
  11. I thought I commented here but maybe I didn't.
    You sound a bit out of sorts, I hope you're ok!
    Then again, I'm out of sorts in the weather where clothing has to be rolled off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely grumpy last week. I know a lot of it was heat related and some was being in a spot where nothing that is supposed to be happening is actually moving toward starting much less completing. ____Anne

      Delete
  12. UGH, I feel your pain on the heat. It is just too hot to cook ANDthen go in there AND clean up and wash dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made me laugh, because it's exactly how I feel when it's hot. Doesn't bother my husband at all, but I'm like, nope.

      I did takeout 3x this week, which is crazy unusual for me/us, but I was isolating in a bedroom, really trying to avoid giving COVID to my husband before he left on a trip, so I was super cautious. I was also way too exhausted to cook.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.