Translate

Monday, August 21, 2023

Ho Hum Dinners

This past week I was just not feeling it at all. I did not care what, or even if, we ate. Some weeks especially in the later parts of summer I get like that. I've got nothing.



What I thought might happen:
1. Grilled steak, tossed salad
2. White bbq chicken, cauliflower chopped salad
3. Veggie dinner TBD
4. Out to eat
5. Grilled tuna steaks, coleslaw, dinner rolls
6. Big salad meal TBD
7. Monte Christo sandwich, coleslaw


What we really ate:

Monday: I had a squash in the refrigerator and peas in the freezer. 'Nuff said.
Squash casserole, lady peas, coleslaw

Tuesday: I had originally planned on Monte Christo sandwiches but in the end I took an easier way out.
Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches

Wednesday: We went to a local meat and three restaurant for a veggie dinner
Out to eat at Fried Green Tomatoes

Thursday: A quick look in the freezer and some ripe peaches on the counter set the tone for dinner.
Grilled steak, tossed salad, peach cobbler

Friday:  What can I say. It was the beginning of the weekend
Half Shell Oyster House: Pecan crusted redfish (me) Seafood pot pie (TheHub)

Saturday: Who keeps cooked bacon in the freezer at all times and who got lazy?
BLT's

Sunday: We bought triple tail at our local seafood market to have Saturday and moved it to Sunday instead. The fish was a new one to us and tastes like a cross between snapper and grouper. 
Broiled triple tail, cucumber tomato onion salad.

What might be up this week for dinner
The Hub has a meeting one night this week, and I am not sure if we will be doing the Wednesday night out to eat or not this week. I am planning for "not" but who knows? Maybe we will just ride up to the crest to watch the sun go down either before or after we eat. Since I did not make them last week I am moving a couple of the previous week's plans to this week. It might happen or they may live in the freezer for another week

1. Whatever is in the fridge (not cooking for just me).
2. Sandwiches TBD 
3. Big salad meal (also TBD)
4. Grilled tuna steaks, coleslaw, rolls
5. White Bbq chicken, caulitato salad
6. Out to eat (I know there will be at least one night we go out)
7. Something tossed on the grill (haven't looked through the freezer yet) salad, some side vegetable maybe

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.




19 comments:

  1. i have never heard of a seafood pot pie. What does that involve? I told Tommy I need to eat at Whistle Stop/Irondale Cafe...Fried Green Tomatoes? I need more squash for another squash casserole. Now, that I can get me excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same owners of Irondale Cafe own Fried Green's

      Delete
    2. I am not sure what is in the seafood pot pie. DIL2 gets it just about every time we meet them there and loves it. TheHub decided to give it a try and he really liked it. It has some sort of white fish and shrimp

      Delete
  2. Steak, chicken, tuna...all sound very good to me. I hope you get to cook something nutritious and tasty for you this week, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see my replies are all anonymous this week, but at least I can comment. Oh well! I think the grill might get a serious workout this week.

      Delete
  3. Hot weather does that to me. On a really hot weather it is catch as catch can here. And preferably something that involves no cooking. And minimal preparation or cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hot here now and I am indifferent to just about everything. Have a great day__Anne

      Delete
  4. The important thing is no one went hungry (unless it was by design). I need to make a meal plan for this week, based partly on what my lovely neighbor gave me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get over this apathy that has become part of my daily routine. I envy your delicious food the neighbors send over! __Anne

      Delete
  5. I had to look up lady peas. I see they like to grow in hot weather which makes sense that they are a mostly southern dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lady peas are smaller than black eyed peas with less starch and density. We really prefer them___Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did cook all last week but nothing special. This week we're keeping it light. It's just too hot to even think about food much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the heat and cooking__Anne

      Delete
  8. I've never tasted tuna steak ... do you recommend I add that to my List?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I highly recommend it, but whatever you do, do not overcook it, We sear it for 2 minutes on the first side, flip it and sear for two on the other (With a little over a one inch thick steak)___Anne

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I had a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie __Anne!

      Delete
  10. My takeaway from this was "meat and three." I've never heard that term before. Conceptually speaking, it reminds me of a Hawaiian "plate lunch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat and 3's are generally places that have 5 or so protein entrees with 10 or so side dishes to choose 3 from. For example, meat loaf, green beans, coleslaw and mashed potatoes or pork chops, turnip greens, black eyed peas, and mixed fruit. It is mix and match whatever you want, but they also have plates available with just 3 sides. We generally opt for veggie plates. Side note: In the south Mac and cheese has somehow be anointed as a vegetable. Go figure!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.