Translate

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Wow It's August

I am not sure what I have been doing but all of the sudden I realized we are in the bottom half of the year.  2023 you are moving too fast, please slow down a little.

Sunday: I had a mostly calm and restful day that was made so much better with a call from Sluggy. We had been texting back and forth but my slightly arthritic fingers really did appreciate the call. It is much easier for me to be on the phone than to type. Plus I laugh more during a conversation. 

Monday: The day was hot, sticky and I really did not want to get out in the weather at all, but Monday was the day for double freebies  (or almost freebies) at The Pig. I will only grab the free items if there are sales that make the $10 minimum purchase worth going to get whatever the free items are. This week they had chicken quarters for .59 a lb. in 10 lb. lots.  I had already decided to grab 20 pounds, but they only had 2 packages left, so I just took one to save it for another shopper. They had a good deal on potatoes, and a brand of ice cream that has a flavor TheHub loves that I don't like. Perfect! Dessert for him and no temptation for me and I spent the required amount to get The Pig's brand of vanilla ice cream  and a box of instant grits.
And yes I am aware I got two containers of ice cream, but one was the weekly free item and was/ will be used to top fruit cobblers (which is also a safe dessert for me since I do not like cooked fruits in any way shaper or form)

Tuesday: Humidity was down so the hot day was just hot, not sweltering. I enjoyed twilight,  my favorite time of day on the screened porch. It was a beautiful twilight, perfectly calm with crickets and katydids singing their little hearts out.
Fairly late at night I had a surprise phone call from my dearest cousin S. She has been in ICU for most of the week, and I had only been keeping up with her via test from her husband and her sister, M. I was beyond thrilled to talk with her and even more thrilled at how good she sounded.

Wednesday: The biggest joy was getting 10 pounds of chicken quarters processed. There was enough chicken for 4 dinner meals (for 2)  plus 4 quarts of broth. I felt pretty good about it, and my freezer loved it. (Though I think it might be time to open the electric pressure canner I bought well over a year ago and can the bloomin' broth)

Thursday: Talked with Sluggy! 
Did a huge house clean up (my least favorite thing in the world to do, but wow the house looks better)
I was waiting for an architect who is to draw up plans for the master bath.  We are not adding one, just taking the existing one down to the studs, requiring permitting, thus an architect. He had to be rescheduled. TheHub had something come up at work and could not be here with me to meet him. 
I am perfectly capable of talking to him by myself, but I want to make sure TheHub and I are both on the same page about the new layout. Plus we are undecided about where the new tub (AKA toilet paper storage container) should go and want us both to hear the architects suggestions. I had just as soon have nothing but a huge shower, but we are looking at selling in a few years and want to have one in place for those who take baths.

Friday: I woke to a clean house and thunderstorms. If that was not a message from the universe to read all day (other than necessary daily home management) I don't know what was. I read The Measure by Nikki Erlick. I can't say the book was a fun read, but it was one to definitely make me think, and I am glad I read it. I was also glad when I finished it so I could move on to a much lighter book and dove into The Mostly True Story of Tanner and Louise. I was less than a quarter of the way through it when I fell asleep, so the jury is still out whether I like it or not. 

Saturday: Woke to a beautiful morning and it was cool enough to have coffee on the screened porch  Win!!!
After coffee we ate breakfast then took off for our Saturday rounds. 
We go to the produce stand each Saturday but this time we had a longer than normal conversation one of the owners. He told us he dropped out of school after the 6th grade to work full time on the family farm. I did not think on my feet fast enough to let him know how much those of us who do not farm appreciate his chosen profession. I definitely will next Saturday, meanwhile one of my joys is knowing a family whose livelihood is dedicated to providing food for others. I am very thankful I can support their hard work and benefit from it in such a delicious way. 

Look for joys. They are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne



21 comments:

  1. Looks like that you had a busy and nice week. I can't wait to see what you are going to make with all the chicken quarters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I froze them in vacuum bags, so they might not make an appearance until fall, especially since I bought a Costco rotisserie chicken today and have enough left after having it for dinner for at least 3 more meals.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for busy and productive weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good week! You always get so much done! I wish I had some of your energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not posses super energy and am a slow moving machine. But I am fairly methodical so I get things done. (when I am not on the computer or reading) I just have my own speed and it works for me. Drives TheHub nuts because he moves around like the energizer bunny.

      Delete
  4. It has been nice around here with the lower humidity. And, then the humidity came back! At least it is hot. If I am buying enough, I always get the free item and give it away if I don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pig is one of the most expensive (and fabulous) stores around me. Even if I like the freebies, unless they have a sale for something I can cherry pick and is something I need I don't get it.
      I love the store and wish I could shop there exclusively, but I just can't.

      Delete
  5. My bath is coming out when they FINALLY get round to redoing my bathrooms. I was talking to my friend about it and I've always heard that having a bath is a plus when selling a house (especially for those with little kids) but then as she pointed out, you can always try and spin it as a water-saver. I'm getting a walk-in shower put in instead and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We currently have a walk in shower and a ridiculously large jetted tub. I am reversing the order on the "new" bath and having a huge shower and small soaking tub.

      Delete
  6. A clean house is indeed a true joy. We had a party here last weekend, so the house got a good cleaning that we are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have a clean house. It would be nicer if I had someone to do the cleaning!

      Delete
  7. Taking time to read is something I can fully support. Sounds like a pretty nice week. We took our tub out and made it a large walk in shower. We plan on staying here as long as possible. The contractor said he was pulling more out than putting them in. So that was good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our area tubs seem to be mandatory, but whoever eventually buys our house is going to have to settle for a much smaller tub than is currently in there.

      Delete
  8. Your description of the Erlick book had me googling to see what it was about. It does sound interesting and a bit disconcerting too.
    I do hope it cools down a bit for you, so you can enjoy the screened porch every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book was good to read on several levels, especially to see how easily the masses can be led into one way of thinking.

      Delete
  9. You were busy getting that chicken processed. Kudos to you. Sounds stormy and humid there too. It's storming here today and I am hoping we do not lose power. I hope you have another good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storms are predicted for later in the day. I guess we will see if it happens or if it misses us.

      Delete
  10. That's really nice, leaving the last remaining bag for someone else. I do the same thing as you when it comes to sweets -- my hubby and I have very different tastes, so I buy those things guaranteed not to grab me in a weak moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweets and cookies are my absolute favorite. So I regularly buy ice cream flavors I don't like, make TheHub peach cobblers (I hate cooked fruit) and buy the Nutter Butter wafer cookies because they don't sing to me either. Of course there are moments when I do buy something delicious (chocolate) and them I am like Golem from Lord of the Rings, keep it to myself, and might even refer to it as My Precious.

      Delete
  11. Hello! I know exactly what you mean about cleaning...ugh! But then waking up to a clean house!!!! And a day to read and relax. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.