Translate

Sunday, August 13, 2023

It's August and It's Hot

There is just nothing else to say. High temps with pop up thunderstorms do nothing to cool the situation down. Hot just becomes hot and steamy. The solution? Limit where you have to go, drink lots of water, wear tanks tops, shorts and flip flops,  and rely on the a/c.  I do have my back up plan in case of a power failure___battery operated fans!




Sunday: We woke and went to Sunday school and walked into a totally empty, dark room.  Our teacher for the day was sick and couldn't make it. (Turned out he had Covid so I am glad he stayed at home) Instead we went to Costco (never again on a weekend) then came home and either read or watched the golf tournament. I will leave it to y'alls imaginations about which of us did what.

Monday: This was a general house tidying day including mountains of laundry. We had a fierce morning storm then it rained all day. There is a unique beauty watching lightning, though I prefer watching it from a distance rather than the crackling and booming right overhead like it did Monday. I was supposed to meet with the architect later in the afternoon but he had to reschedule.

Tuesday: It was a regular day but took a turn for the better when I talked with Sluggy. 
I also had great news that cousin S was released from the hospital and was back at home.

Wednesday: Got some tasks taken care of, then was able to read for a while before meeting with the architect. He is a nice guy who really did listen to what I/we want. Now I have to pick out all the details and materials that will go into the remodel. Finished The All True Adventures of Tanner and Louise. I love a book that leads me in one direction then takes a left turn along the way.

Thursday: Had a long telephone conversation with Son1. We had not talked like that is a long time and it was a fun walk down memory lane. 
A bonus joy was a phone call to TheHub. The medical group he was going to Friday had a morning cancellation and they could take him at 7 rather than his 1:30 scheduled appointment. That would make the night and next morning so much easier so much easier for him.

Friday: Took TheHub for an early morning appointment. (Butt early for me__I am never dressed, made up and physically anywhere at 6 a.m.but I was Friday) The real joy was a pretty good result. Things looked good  the suspected ulcer was not there.
We were back at our house shortly after 8 and he was able to sleep while I did quiet house things. The remainder of the day he sat up and watched a golf tournament. It was kind of nice to have something to occupy him while he rested.

Saturday: I slept late and it felt wonderful. It is not something I do very often but I guess I really needed it.
As soon as I woke TheHub wanted to know if I was going to go with him while he ran is errands. I threw on some clothes, drank a quick cup of coffee and off we ran.  
Ugh, the minute we opened the front door we were greeted with something that felt like we were moving through a Turkish steam bath*. Gills would have been a handy body part since it felt like we were breathing liquid air.

*For the record I have never been in a Turkish steam bath and have no idea how hot they actually are, but I can't imagine humans willingly steaming in a bath that is any hotter or more humid than it has been here lately. Right now as soon as it rains and clears off you can not just see the steam rising off the pavement but it is rising off of every surface outside (rooftops, trees, cars, lawns, etc.)



19 comments:

  1. My one trip into a sauna was horrible. Then, I went again and had chest congestion that I thought was going to turn into pneumonia. I don't do well in muggy weather at all. And, I cannot exercise in a heated pool! The air outdoors was akin to the air above a heated pool where I had to exercise.
    I am glad your husband did not have an ulcer. The earlier time was better if he were fasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am generally ok with a heated pool because the water temperature is usually a good bit lower than the air temp.

      Delete
  2. A battery-operated fan could go a long way in making things better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at the very least it does move the hot muggy air instead of having just hot muggy stagnant air.

      Delete
  3. The weather is awful, which is why I am traveling back and forth from work to Ttown every night. Long drive but I have a great air conditioning unit there. I am walking very early on Saturday and Sunday and very late on Thursday and Friday bc of the heat… ugh. Other than work, I am reverse hibernating, with air. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure we are living on Hell's front porch this summer.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad for your husband's medical good news. Keep him healthy. We've had really nice summer days, knick on wood, though a few storms. I hope this is how summer will end after near record high temps in June and July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know that your husband's good medical result. I wish I could say the same about our weather here...we have been having lots of rain and it's cool enough that I need to wear my pullover at the early mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is the 19th anniversary of hurricane Charlie and I can still remember all too well the brutal heat and humidity with no electricity for 7 days. Stay cool and enjoy the A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news on your hubby's medical results. I do my best to avoid any popular shopping venues on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good medical report is indeed a joy. May you have many more. We had a bad storm here Monday and lost power for a couple of hours. I was formulating alterative plans for the night that fortunately, I didn't have use. We were going to the basement to sleep where it generally stays cooler than the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent news about your husband's medical appointment - and hooray for no ulcer.
    That sort of weather does me in. My MS thrives and I am a sad, soggy and grumpy mess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your husband's test results were good! We are having a cooler than normal summer, here! As far as I know, we haven't had even a single triple digit day, here, in my area, which is unusual. It's been more humid than usual, but, for the most part, I'm happy with the ceiling fan. I haven't needed to bring in the stand fan, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the ulcer was not there and the talk with your son sounds great. Looks like a good week. Here's to another good one for this week too. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had an electric fan for when the electricity went out. It was plastic, even plastic blades, about 6 inches high with blades about 4". I used one C battery in it, set it on the bed pointing to my face. There was just enough noise to put me to sleep and air to breathe. I had 10' ceilings, so it was not so hot in there. Plus, it had a second story over it and wrap-around porch and carport and bedroom was on East side of house. So, a tiny fan worked. Now, it would not. It used one C battery each night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad things went well for your hubbie! What a relief! Oh and I have been in Turkish baths and saunas quite regularly, but only when we go to the local hot springs. They are very good - but as you say ONLY for a very short time. That being said, my Finnish colleague said she never feels clean unless she's had a sauna. But then again I guess you live in one don't you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's 3am as I write this and it's 83 degrees. I am so thankful we replaced our a/c unit a couple of years ago. It's running so well and not costing us an arm and a leg to keep ourselves comfortable in this ridiculous heat. I really miss walking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good heavens, the heat and humidity sounds horrid. I do like some humidity but what you're experiencing is well beyond what I could tolerate. It must be very difficult for those who are asthmatic or the elderly.
    Glad to hear your husband's tests went well.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.