Translate

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Joys for the week

My oh my, this past week was a scorcher! It was too hot to do almost anything outdoors. Even the pool is too warm to be enjoyable.
Even so there were good things that happened, along with some not so good. I do try my best to see the upside, but with my black heart it does not always happen. Still I try!

I honestly and truly listen to this version of this song every morning

Sunday: We woke and went to church, then met friends at a sandwich shop for lunch. After that is was home to watch the last day of the 2nd round of the FedEx tournament, followed by some reading.

Monday: Uneventful day that was gorgeous until the a/c stopped working. Then it became less than stellar and my mood changed considerably. Sleeping with the fan going and no top sheet was bearable, so that was a pleasant surprise

Tuesday: The a/c guy came at 7 a.m. and it was blowing cool air for a bit, then stopped. The house was getting really hot after we ate, so we decided to go to a place I have never been before, Yogurt Mountain. It was an interesting concept and the end results of building my yogurt concoction was very good, but I don't have to go back again. Sometimes just the experience is enough. 
On the drive home we were rewarded with the most gorgeous evening. The sky had a remnant of blue color with what looked like pink cotton candy clouds covering the western sky.
And for the final joy, when we got home we turned the a/c back on just to check and in about ten minutes it was blowing cold air. 

Wednesday: I woke to blissfully cool air, did a few things around the house, then got ready to go to my happy place. I love volunteering at Independence Place. Just being there and interacting with the participants is such a joy for me. This was the 4th time to do my part with the living skills section they have implemented. Since I am a pretty good cook that is what they asked me to do and because we are doing it as a group I had asked them what they wanted to learn to make. I was very surprised to hear "cucumber salad" but thought that would be a great summertime learning experience.
Before I started, I bought several pieces of equipment for them to use that are a safer alternative to what I use in my personal kitchen. One of them was a small mandolin, but then I decided they needed additional protection so I bought a chain mail glove. This was one of my best decisions ever. A couple of the participants have some dexterity issues and wearing the glove prevented potential injuries. I don't necessarily do the smartest things all the time, but this was a really wise choice, and now it lives in my IP cooking tote.
I came home all happy from being with them and walked into a house that was HOT___AGAIN.
Nothing like having the a/c die again on the hottest day of the year.

Thursday: Dave, the a/c guy was here at 7:00 and worked off and on in the extreme heat until about 2. He at least had times going to get parts or waiting for things to be delivered, so he was not in the sun the entire time. By 2 pm I had a new compre$$or, and the house started cooling. Though I am not looking forward to the bill, price is only an issue in the absence of value, and we do value sleeping in comfort and having cooler air for the house. So the joys are that it is fixed and that we do keep a nest egg for unexpected expenses. (The nest egg lesson was learned decades ago after seeing how disruptive to everyday living not having one is.) 

Friday: I woke to a blissfully cool, non humid house and could drink coffee in comfort rather than drinking it while extremely hot! (And yes, I will drink coffee in a house with no a/c, but I won't be happy about it)
Son3 and DIL3 drove down to have a pool day then to spend the night. In addition to having them here we kept Reesey for Son2 and DIL2 who went to a concert in Huntsville but did not want to have her crated all night. In addition to being a former pack dog, she is still a puppy and has not yet learned to leave things (like glasses/remotes, shoes, towels. etc.) alone. 
If I am being completely honest, I would steal her from them in an eye blink. She is the sweetest dog I have ever seen, but you do have to keep eyes on her all the time. She does not yet recognize her name and is selectively learning commands, but she has learned "sit" and "leave it". Sit she associates with food and she hears leave it all the time since she is continually on the lookout for any object to play with (destroy) enhance her day.

Saturday: DIL3 mentioned she had never been to a breakfast restaurant in town and we have one fairly near to our home. We all went to The Ranch House for breakfast (my least favorite meal).  They are all breakfast eaters and loved it. I ate some of mine than gladly shared the remainder with the table.
Because of their visit, I missed the family reunion, but honestly I was not planning on going because it was so blooming hot.
After they left to head back to Nashville, I did a little (very little) household chores then read.
TheHub and I ended the night watching the documentary "Muscle Shoals". It is about extremely successful recording studios in the most unlikely place in the U.S. If you are interested it is streaming on Peacock.

Have a great week looking for your small joys. They are alway out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


27 comments:

  1. Nothing alters a mood like being too hot. I'm glad you finally got the AC fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it was fixable because it is just steamy here right now. But they say this week will be cooler. ____Anne

      Delete
  2. What a time to lose ac in your home. Tommy's car did the same thing last week. Muscle Shoals is quite a phenomena in the recording industry. I own the chain mail gloves and still won't use my mandoline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the chain mail glove what is the reason you would not use it? All of the participants at IP really liked slicing with it and I felt very comfortable that they would not get cut. We will be using it when they learn knife skills too

      Delete
  3. I grew up 30 miles from Muscle Shoals, and the Muscle Shoals sound was truly a big influence on modern music. I had two repairs done to my air conditioner in June at my Ttown house and it has been blissful, especially since I did without air for almost six weeks at work! The main courtroom’s air has now decided to conk out. I think the heat has been rough on air conditioners everywhere in the Deep South. I flat out refuse to go anywhere not necessary, and I will not attend outdoor activities. So I don’t blame you for missing a family reunion, especially if it is outside! Yikes! But, to be real, I have only been in a car to travel for work, Mississippi State for emergency specialized vet treatment, and the grocery store,
    Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about the studios there but had never known the origins of it. I really did like the documentary.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that you finally got your AC working again. Without it I would have been a sad, sorry and grumpy mess. I hear you on the emergency fund too. We found out the hard way and now ensure that ours is always in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard lessons seem to stick with us most often don't they? I was a hot sticky mess with a grumpy mood until it started cooling.

      Delete
  5. Is it always this hot at the neck of your wood? This SUMMER (if you can call nostop raining SUMMER), I just needed to turn the fan on for a couple of times. Now it's autumn...at least I feel so...I even had to get my thin jacket out..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having an exceptionally hot summer, but summer is always hot and very humid here. We are still a good 6-8 weeks from fall ___Anne

      Delete
  6. Goodness, with your heat I could not imagine being without the a/c for any length of time. Glad ot got repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very happy it could be repaired too! ___Anne

      Delete
  7. Being without a/c when it is hot and humid is awful! I'm glad you got your a/c fixed and that you had the emergency fund in place in order to do so. You managed to find lots of joys during a very hot week! Well done! Enjoy the coolness in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying coffee in a cool house. It has been too hot early in the morning for my coffee and screened porch ritual. But what do you expect when the low for the day is in the low 80's/high 70's__Anne

      Delete
  8. I don't have AC of course (over here pretty much nobody does) but last week it hit 102° so I sympathise. At least our "big" heat doesn't last that long. But I agree with you about having a nest egg because they sure do come in handy don't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know summers will be hot and we know we will have a few unbearable days, but this summer has been rougher than usual.
      Nest eggs are critical to us after learning long ago how unpleasant not having one is.

      Delete
  9. "One of them was a small mandolin, but then I decided they needed additional protection so I bought a chain mail glove."

    Those things are a must for using a mandolin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very good mandolin that I only use if I am doing something like slicing huge amounts of something. I use it with just the pronged holder, but from now on I will use the glove. __Anne

      Delete
  10. So glad you were able to get the a/c fixed. It has been so hot.
    Great idea with the glove and mandolin, esp for those with dexterity issues. I don't like cleaning the mandolin, so I use a knife and cutting board most of the time.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For everyday meals I only use a knife also, but occasionally if I am processing bulk items, I will use the mandolin.

      Delete
  11. How awful about the A/C! I'm such a whuss I'd be packing a bag, headed for a nearby hotel.
    Acc-centuate, yes! All my life I've enjoyed that song, but never heard any recording but Bing. This rendition is pretty good! Tom would love that documentary; I'm going to see if I can't find it on Prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Dr. John version, but then I am crazy about his voice.
      I think the video is available for rental on Prime.

      Delete
  12. Why do AC's always seem to go out on the hottest day of the year? I'm glad you were able to get it fixed. We had ours replaced last year and I am so glad I did. It was record breaking temperatures all last week and I know the old one would not have been able to keep up. IP sounds like a lovely place. I'm glad you're enjoying the cooking classes. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe the a/c on the fritz and hottest day is some universal mathematical equation that must be applied x number of times over the course of the summer. This year it was just my time to be one of the x's.___Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad your A/C is back in working order! Your visit with your son and daughter in law sounds so nice. I love breakfast out! I usually try to get something I don't normally make my self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't like food in my mouth in the morning. It's a pity it only lasts until about noon!
      Anne

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.