Translate

Monday, August 31, 2026

State(ment)

The first song on my discovery weekly playlist presented me with a problem. Instead of Fats Domino singing Blueberry Hill, the AI genius had him singing Kansas City as my first listing.  I could have easily worked with fruit, but the only song I know that has Kansas City in it is the song Kansas City. 


My skewed logic then decided instead of using the city, I would use  the band Kansas. 
The week started off like gangbusters, until I got to Thursday when I realized I only knew (or at least remembered) 3 Kansas songs.

Shift time! Since Kansas is the name of a state, my eureka moment was to continue the week using bands with state names.  Logically, since I live in Alabama, the next step for me was to use the band Alabama, but I only knew 2 of their songs .

I had to wrack my noggin to come up with the other 2 days of the week. I was mentally reciting the states alphabetically. I've heard of the band Florida/Georgia Line, but had no clue if I have ever even heard one of their songs before, so I had to pass on them.  Luckily, when I got to Ohio,  I remembered The Ohio Players. and 2 of their songs.

Monday: This was a delightful stay at home day. It was hot, I had a lot of housework catching up to do, and also a lot of reading.
What I learned: My spiderweb tool needs replacing.
Listened to: Carry On Wayward Son


Dinner: I freeze foods so I can have a quick meal with little cooking on a hot night.
Swedish meatballs over noodles, broccoli, coleslaw

Tuesday: I did a few chores around the house before heading to the grocery store. Publix had a few BOGOs I wanted to grab before the sale was over. I had a couple of other quick errands, dropped off 4 bags of Goodwill donations, then headed home to read a little before we headed to Trivia. One of our neighbors joined us there, so it was even more fun this time.
What I learned: The famous lawsuit the Loving family filed was vs. Virginia. I thought they lived in Tennessee.
Listened to: Dust in the Wind 



Later in the afternoon, I heard the news about Dolly Parton and thought this was an appropriate addition, plus it aligns with the state theme.
My Tennessee Mountain Home


Dinner: We were at The Electric for trivia and dinner.
Shared flatbread, coleslaw

Wednesday: I stayed home all day and did nothing terribly exciting other than going through some more stuff to begin another bag for donation. I am trying to get rid of a good bit of our excess.
What I learned:  When Duane Allman was a studio musician at Fame Studio in Muscle Shoals he acquired a nickname. The owner called him Dog because of his shaggy long hair, and Wilson Picket called him Skyman because of the way his fingers flew on the guitar. The names merged and he became Skydog.
Listened to: Point of No Return 
(I admit I did not remember the name of this song and had to type the lyrics I remembered into Google to come up with the name)


Dinner: Leftovers to the rescue
Butter peas, leftover mac and cheese, okra, coleslaw, cucumber slices, tomato slices

Thursday: I went to a planned lunch (bookclub) but circumstances meant only 3 of us could be there. It was still a lot of fun and a lot of laughs.
After lunch I dropped off my August appreciation basket to the minister at my church I was assigned to for the month. Though I am glad I volunteered to do this, I think doing it every month is a bit much. Quarterly might be a better option.
What I learned: My Beloved Sister planned on wearing a dress to an event because she has a new rule that she cannot use the word #%& if she's wearing a dress. (When she told us this at lunch we both almost wet our pants laughing)
Listened to: My Home's in Alabama


Dinner: When I planned the week's menu, I forgot about a club minimum we had to use.
Cobb salad (me) Blackened catfish, saffron rice, sautéed veggies (TheHub)

Friday: 
Listened to: Christmas in Dixie


Dinner: One of my cousins from San Antonio was in town for our annual family reunion. She had planned a night before the reunion get together at Half Shell Oyster House, with a few of the cousins. 
Snapper, asparagus

Saturday: We were not able to go to the family reunion. One of our dear friend's daughter was getting married at 1:30 which meant we could go to the reunion neither early nor late. 
The bride was gorgeous, the ceremony was beautiful, and the reception was amazing. 
We have known the bride since she was a lump and watched her grow into the incredible woman she is today. It was a happy occasion and we were so happy to be included.
What I learned: S. has lived in Virginia for quite a few years. The medical team she works with were all at the wedding and could not stop singing her praises. It did not surprise me since she has always been a remarkable person.
Listened to: Love Roller Coaster


Dinner:
We still had money left on the club minimum so we ordered a light dinner.
Watermelon salad, cauliflower crust veggie pizza

Sunday: We began the day with our usual early communion service, traditional worship and Sunday School.  We stopped on our way home and picked up a light lunch followed by some intense reading, golf tournament watching, and some rest. (How nice was it that the early communion service was about resting on a day of worship?)
What I learned: Not that I wanted to know this, but I learned how ancient stoning was done.
Listened to: Fire


Dinner: Leftovers or planned overs, your call.
BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes, coleslaw 

Read: The Calamity Club (strongly reccommend)

Have a great week.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

14 comments:

  1. Kansas...my youth and early adult life and same with my husband. He wasn't a huge concert goer but I think k we've heard them live four or five times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not a huge Kansas fan, but did remember some of their songs.

      Delete
  2. I like that you challenge yourself to include songs you know or remember. But it would be oh so much easier to use Google. And I think that's becoming a problem for me. It doesn't help my memory if I know I can find out the answer in a matter of seconds. And it's right at least half of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to Google the few lyrics I remembered to the one song because I had no clue what the title was.
      I listen to music all the time and unless I challenge myself with obtuse genres, I can usually remember either enough to get by or to pivot.

      Delete
  3. I love reading about your weeks - the music, what you learn & what you are eating. It's always interesting! - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is pretty ordinary, but I do love music, meals, and learning whatever I can.

      Delete
  4. Your BS is a panic! Now methinks I should buy some more dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she told us that she said it with a completely straight face. C and I were like a couple of hyenas laughing our tails off.
      You ought to hear her cocktail rule.

      Delete
  5. Not even sure what a spiderweb tool is :-) Carry On Wayward Son was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brush on an expandable pole to snag the spiderwebs out of the corners of the walls. I live in a buggy state and spiders like it,. Lots of little flying bugs mean easy meals for them, so knocking down the webs that are spun almost as soon as I brush them down is an ongoing chore.

      Delete
  6. That is funny about your sister. She sounds a lot like my best friend. Even after 40 plus years of knowing each other she comes up with things that I don't expect. It's so refreshing to be around people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Beloved Sister planned on wearing a dress to an event because she has a new rule that she cannot use the word #%& if she's wearing a dress. (When she told us this at lunch we both almost wet our pants laughing) -- this is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have me wondering how stoning was done. I'm from Kansas and some of the band members went to the high school I attended (long before I was there), but I only know a few of their songs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely week filled with good music, good food, and family and friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.