Translate

Saturday, October 19, 2019

A Big Thank You

Earlier in the week I defrosted and cleaned  my upright freezer. Like so many things around the house, it is a thankless but necessary job and I am so glad to have it behind me. While I was cold I also attacked the freezer in the kitchen fridge and the extra fridge in the laundry room. Now everything is neatly organized to be used like they should be used instead of the hodge podge arrangement I had before.  Things that are used often are in the kitchen, shorter storage but not everyday use are in the laundry room refrigerator freezer (keto "bread", breakfast biscuits, TheHubs beloved corn dogs, frozen pizza, etc), and longer storage food items are in the upright. Lots of rearranging and thought went into this process, but I am so glad I took the time to do it. At the very least our food life is more organized.

But speaking of food life__I have needed to clean the oven for about 2 months. Mine is self cleaning so it is not like it takes a tremendous amount of effort, but the weather has been too hot to have that much additional heat in the kitchen. This morning I was reading Sam, Coffee, Money, & Thyme and she mentioned cleaning her oven. I had not even thought of cleaning mine this morning, but TheHub went in the office, the ball game (Roll Tide) is not until 8 and it is barely 60 degrees outside. It is a perfect day for a little additional heat in the kitchen and I planned to be home until the later afternoon anyway, so as I type this I am into the second hour of oven cleaning.  And beginning that inspired me to do a deep cleaning of the stove top, microwave and dishwasher. Now if it would just inspire me to iron.

I do want to thank all of you. I never really stop and let you know how much inspiration, ideas, laughs and sometimes deep thoughts and reflections I get from sharing your posts.  My gratitude is sincere and I am so thankful y'all let me share your lives through this medium (or in the case of Sluggy in real life when she drove through Alabama) 

If you are headed south, let me know. I am always ready for a cup of coffee (Krispy Kreme optional or not!) and a visit!

25 comments:

  1. I've been in this "new" house for almost three years and I haven't cleaned the oven yet. And it's starting to show. Soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The warmth and the wonder of the blogosphere has supported me through some very dark days.
    Speaking of ironing, pain got me up v early this morning (before 3). I might improve the shining hour by doing ours in a bit. One of himself's aunts said she liked ironing because it was quiet and clean. I do understand where she was coming from, but it is one of my least liked household tasks.
    I hope you win the ball game - and have a delightful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to iron even if it is quiet and clean. In a perfect world I would own nothing that needed ironing!

      Delete
    2. True: Except I love the feel of cotton and linen. Both of which DO require ironing.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I should defrost my freezer too, hate this job, but it should be finally done! Have a lovely Sunday☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like defrosting at all, but I had to do it and I had a mostly free day so that is why I did it. I am so glad it is behind me now before the holidays begin.

      Delete
  4. Oh the oven... Mine is not a self-cleaning one unfortunately. They are too expensive in my neck of the woods. I promise to clean mine when I get back. I will soon be headed south but I do not think you are on my path. Will be driving from NY to Roanoke VA to Savannah GA and then to Tampa FL. On the way back, I will be in Summerville, SC area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I am not in the path of your travels. I don't know if you have been to Tampa before or not, but it is a lovely city. Savannah, well that just goes without saying!

      Delete
  5. I *just* sold our Panhandle place, else I would jump at the chance to meet up with you on one of our junkets to the sunny south. I really enjoy your blog. I appreciate those of you who are brave enough to put yourselves out there. Commenting is about all I am up for.
    My new slide in, dual fuel range is self-clean, but it's a steam clean, not high heat clean. Apparently there are less fumes with this, so no warning to remove birds and small mammals from your home when running the cycle. Since we've only been in our new place since June, I haven't had to clean the oven yet. The down side is that you have to put in two cups of water to run the cycle, and the manual claims that after the cycle, most of the water will remain, requiring you to absorb it with a towel. That doesn't sound like fun at all.
    I feel as if I'm still in a getting-to-know-you phase with my oven. It's a Jenn Air, and so far, so good, but I am missing my trusty GE Profile Dual fuel. You don't spend 15 years with an oven like that and not feel like you know it intuitively.
    In other kitchen news, two weeks ago I found a Cuisinart ICE 100 ice-cream and gelato maker on the second hand market for $75! Oooooh, baby. Size 2 jeans are now a distant memory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florida panhandle?
    Great price on the ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, near Destin. Miramar Beach, actually. Destin is what convinced us to sell...too many snowbirds. (Says this pot about those kettles.) When we bought about 11 years ago, we were thinking we'd live there year-round, but our life changed drastically shortly after close. We did the bi-coastal thing for about 10 years, and then built this place, so we sold that one. Our thought is now to get a condo right on the water in a managed building, perhaps Panama City, and use it for passive income when we are not there.

      Delete
    2. We have a couple of condos in PCB that we keep on the rental market. We have not been there in years because if we go they earn no money.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, I remember one new year when my ex was still in France he was hosting a NYE party at his place. I don't enjoy NYE and would rather stay home. He kept nagging me to come (hey buddy, we ain't married any more so I don't have listen - "fingers in ears") but I baked stuff and sent it up to his place with them. They loved it and all the mates slept over so everyone was safe - that was all I cared about. But I remember thinking "oh I'll just clean my oven" and ended up spending NYE doing just that and cleaning out my fridge. I thought it was ironic at the time but I was happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had rather clean the fridge than go to a NYE party. Like you, I am not a fan of a NYE event.

      Delete
  8. And-mine is not cleaned but I promise I will get there on Friday! Thanks for the mention. now-I need to thank you back for the reminder that not just the refrigerator, but the freezer needs help and attention as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to clean both of mine. I am ashamed they are only 4 years old and they have been well used. Some day I am going to get Sluggy and we are going to drive down that way. Fun will be had I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh two ovens. I had two at our previous house and loved it. I am getting the itch to move again. Our house needs a bunch of kids living in it, not just two old codgers. Maybe I will do a double oven then, but then again I really don't cook like I used to.
    I am all in favor of a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The house work never ends, does it? Great idea to storing the frozen items. I'm getting accustomed to having only the fridge freezer as I plan to sell the larger freezer with the house. It makes it a bit more challenging but with only two of us, and no outside forces, we can manage.

    Enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ever ends! But at least this is in the books for a while!

      Delete
  12. I was inspired by your freezer cleaning to clean my fridge and organize my freezer (self defrosting, so don't need to defrost it). Then, after the prayer gathering dinner, my friend and I put the leftovers in the freezer, wherever there was room, and it's not organized, anymore! LOL!

    I don't have a self cleaning oven and my oven desperately needs cleaning. But, I am sure it won't get done anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe not organized any more, but at least filled with deliciousness

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.