Translate

Monday, October 28, 2019

According to Plan or Not

This is the meal plan I came up with for last week, As usual things change around here based on TheHub's work schedule and of course Mom's needs.  I planned this around foods I had one hand or in the freezer. I intended to buy only a little produce this week, but I had signed up for the Misfits produce subscription box and it arrived this week.I have a lot of produce to use, but, other than the celery, none is anything I would normally buy.  I was less than pleased with it but will give it one more chance and if I still feel this way it will be cancelled. 

1, Keto German pork roast, cabbage, asparagus, mashed potatoes or cauli mash
2. Leftover roast, collards keto corn muffins
3. Spaghetti sauce with noodles or zoodles, tossed salad
4. (Anniversary Dinner) Pan seared scallops, asparagus, tossed salad,  potatoes (we are going out to celebrate the week after, but will have this on the actual day, unless TheHub goes to the Alabama game. If he does we might have this on Sunday.We have had so many anniversaries that I am OK either way)
5. Some type of soup with salad
6. Hot chicken salad, spinach, rolls or keto rolls
7. Sausage appetizer tray, tossed salad

And this is what really happened:

Monday: Had my usual morning with Mom. Thank heavens for the delete key her because I just unloaded frustrations here, but was able to get rid of them before publishing. I think venting to an invisible audience helped.
German pork roast, cabbage and asparagus

Tuesday:  Another day, another Mother day, another frustration added to the pile.  I am finding I have little patience with someone who is in a situation she cannot control and I truly do understand that. But this progression has magnified the more unpleasant parts of her personality making a sometimes difficult and demanding personality often unbearable.
Hot chicken salad, spinach

Wednesday: This was my day for my regular class so I had to be fully dressed and ready to go to Mom's for the 7:30 morning ordeal. This particular day started a little rough for her., which means it is also a little rough for me. Then after class I go do her mid week shopping at 3 different stores for  groceries because some of the things she uses are only available at one store. I also had to go buy her some new clothes. She has lost so much weight that all of her existing clothes are falling off of her.  I had just gotten to her house with food and clothes when the sitter told me of 3 more food items she needed that day. WTH! Text me!
TheHub called and I was seething venting about my frustrations dealing with  Mom's care. He wisely suggested we meet for a drink and to grab a quick bite to eat. Smart man! This is just one reason I still love him. He brought me a candy bar and suggested I not do keto for the evening. Another reason to still love him.
Laap from our favorite Thai dive and chocolate

Thursday: I was at Mom's not one, not two but three times before 3 pm. We did finally get her out for a little socialization. Her Sunday School class had their monthly luncheon and her caregiver and I managed to get her looking very nice (a first since August) and took her. Then we left for an hour so she could visit and eat.  When we got her back in the car all she did was gripe about how horrible it was. I @#&*ing give up!
When TheHub called about going to the wine tasting at The Pig I thought it was a splendid idea. They have a very nice wine shop in the store and every Thursday different distributors  are there  pitching their product (4-6 different wines each week) We always pick up a couple of bottles of something new to us after tasting them. On the way out, we noticed how beautiful the sky was and rode to the bluff to watch the sunset.  Once it was done we went across the street to a little restaurant instead of going home and cooking.
Veggie plate okra, collards, mashed potatoes (oops no keto Thursday either) 


                                      Unfiltered from the crest at sunset


Friday: Lots of Mom interaction again Friday. I think I was there 4 different times. It was raining cats and dogs and I needed to take Mom because she requires help getting in and out of the car along with walking. The sitter could not drive her, park, get her out of the car  and hope to keep her dry.  I got to sit in the parking lot for an hour, because obviously I have nothing better to do other than whatever Mom needs/wants and on Friday the most important thing in her world was a trip to the beauty parlor (a true walk back in time type of place) . With all the going in and out of Mom's I got soaked about 3 times, so I came home made soup and keto cornbread.  We are exciting Friday night folks. As soon as dinner was over I threw on my pj's and we watched a movie.
Veggie beef soup, keto corn muffins

Saturday: Game day and Anniversary! We woke and got dressed to go out to eat breakfast. It was later in the morning when we actually got there and we were pretty full when we left. We ran by the store to pick up a few things for Mom, stopped by her house and then came home to sock in and watch football games. At about 3 we had a bowl of leftover soup and decided we did not want to eat diner.
That night TheHub ate some Fritos and I had some nuts and cheese.
Snack food

Sunday: After church we were hungry since neither of us had eaten anything. We decided to have our main meal at lunch because we could! At supper time TheHub had another bowl of soup and I had pickles and an almost almond butter and sugar free jelly sandwich (small bowl with a tablespoon of almond butter topped with a dollop of sugar free blackberry jam). This is what we had for lunch instead.
Leftover German pork roast over mashed potatoes (TheHub), coleslaw

On to the new week which I hope will be better and I hope I will be less pissy.
Instead of a plan I think I am going to call it meal possibilities. It is a little more truthful.

1. Steak, new potatoes, tossed salad, grilled squash
2. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, collards, keto or regular rolls
3. Veggie soup keto corn bread,
4. Hot dogs, tater tots (or not) coleslaw (We have had this every Halloween for the past 30+ years)
5. Chili, keto corn bread, some side vegetable tbd
6. Mississippi chicken over mashed potatoes or caulimash, tossed salad
7. Hamburgers, tater tots (or not) all the fixings that go with burgers

I need some uninterrupted time at home to do some serious keto prep. (Keto cookies, keto cake, keto waffles. . . yep all the really important foods)

I just reread this and noticed how negative I sound. It really was a bad week with Mom and I am hoping for a better one this week, even though she has already told me how disappointed she is in me. She is still convinced we are keeping her in a facility rather than in her house.  So I am leaving this up for me to read some other bad week and know it is survivable.


32 comments:

  1. Ok - any man who brings you chocolate is simply incredible. As for your Mom, you are only human, and yes you are able to vent (as much or as little) as you want. Some of us may be in the same position now or down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time he is a pretty good egg. This afternoon I could have been really angry with him because he was pretty sharp when we talked on the phone until II realized there was some work venting going on.

      Delete
  2. I read sometimes, and rarely comment. And I want you to know, I get you 100!!!! I visit my great Aunt once a week, she has dementia and some days I leave feeling sooooo annoyed. Even though she cannot control all of it, there are somethings she does that leave me flummoxed too. My friend is caring for her mom who has memory issues, and we have the same frustrations. You are doing the best that you can! *hugs* I know the mother daughter dynamic is even more difficult (my friend and her mom did not have a great relationship before this either)so I understand it all too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a more difficult walk than I ever thought it would be. I have told all my sons if I am like this when I am a little older to just throw my butt in a facility and feel no remorse. being the good sons that they are they have assured me they would not have felt guilty even if I had not exonerated them from it.

      Delete
  3. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring.
    Not only did I often not like my mother while caring for her I frequently disliked me at least as much. She was unwell. I was just bad tempered and ungrateful.
    I hope this week is much, much better.
    Hooray for chocolate, a glorious sunset, and the hubster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Mom is unwell and I know I am being pissy. I get angry with myself for not being kind and gentle all the time. The flip side is I get tired of her calling me a betrayer and telling me I am going to Hell because I have her in a facility (which is an exact clone of her home for the past 53 years)

      Delete
    2. After nine months in hospital we DID move my mother to a nursing home for a period. She was ballistic with rage and blamed me. Not only for the move to the nursing home, but also for the stroke which put her in hospital. Selfish was one of the nicest things she said about me.

      Delete
  4. Sending you a virtual hug my friend. While Hubs mom wasn't as difficult as your mom seems to be it was still a trial for us.
    Do what you have to do to hang in there, ESPECIALLY if it involves chocolate. ;-)
    Remember you are enough and you are doing the best you can....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. II know I could do better and could do more, but if I was around her all the time murder or suicide would happen.

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous sunset! Being able to share it with your husband who brings you chocolates and suggests going out to dinner, is a bonus! I'm sorry for what you are having to go through with your mother. I'm sure it is downright disheartening, not to mention frustrating, aggravating, and a whole host of similar feelings! Vent as much as you like. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunset was glorious. We decided anytime we see a sky like that we are going to start riding up the hill to catch it.

      Delete
  6. Please use us all to vent and get it out. I too echo that hubs was very thoughtful. They ca do good can't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bringing chocolate when chocolate is critical to my survival negates all the recreational shopping trips!

      Delete
  7. It is a great husband who brings you a chocolate bar! My grandmother lived with us for a short while, but she kept escaping and getting onto 278 to go home from Memphis t walk 90 miles to the south. She could be the grandmother I knew or mean. I was a child and had to contend with it. She stood straight as an arrow and absolutely no infirmities, just Alzheimer's. I wish you well with all this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm so sorry for your trials and tribulations with your mom and even though I didn't have to do that for my parents we had my (not particularly nice) grannie living with us while I was still home in the UK. Apparently "everyone was out to get her because she was Welsh"! You are very lucky having such a good husband to share some of your trials with though. And that sunset is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably as difficult for your grandmother as it was for everyone around her. I know it has to be hard when everything in your life changes and you are not sure what is real and what is not. I am lucky to have a good friend as a husband.

      Delete
  9. Kudos you with helping your mom! I wish I had lived much closer to mine to help her out! Helped with my MIL though. That's a fabulous sunset! You take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living near is a double edged sword. You want to be there to help and you wish you were anywhere else so you couldn't help.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful sunset photo! I'm so sorry your mom is having such a tough time and tends to take it out on you. You're doing what you can, she may not recognize or realize it, but others do. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a glorious sunset. We are going to try and catch a few more of them before the days get darker

      Delete
  11. Not much to say than don't forget to take care of yourself. What's the keto equivalent of a chocolate bar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a product called Lily's that is a stevia sweetened chocolate. I do keep it on hand but it is not my favorite and I generally eat one small square when I am craving chocolate. On a really horrible stress filled day it just does not work! TheHub knows me well enough, because I am very stoic by nature, if I am crying it has been a horrid day.

      Delete
  12. Yeah, a bit negative but totally realistic. You're in a difficult situation that no one would choose -- how can you NOT be negative? You love your mother, but the person she used to be doesn't exist anymore. Sucks for everyone. Bet your mother would be horrified if she knew how she was acting now. One day at a time -- what else can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never choose how Mom is living (or not living a real life) for her and I know this is nothing she would choose either. Dad had terminal cancer and though it devastated his body it did not take his spirit. I am not sure which is worse, but Dad was still smiling and making jokes until 12 hours before he died. Mom can find no joy or peace.

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry it's so difficult with Mom. I can't remember the last time someone bought me a candy bar, but a co-worker bought a Diet Coke for me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a keeper of a husband!!! How sweet.
    I'm sorry things are so difficult lately. My hubs is taking my MIL to Missouri this afternoon for two weeks!!!! Hopefully things will be calmer around here during that time. Since she lives here and is paranoid of my son, things get sticky and I have to work from the dining room to avoid confrontations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the paranoia. Right now Mom is beyond irritated with my sister and me for moving all of her possessions without her permission. Amazingly things are still where they were when she moved into her house in 1968, but she is convinced we have her in a duplicate facility.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.